Announcing the Audeze LCD-GX, the First Audiophile Gaming Headphone
May 15, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #332 of 435
Harmful? Does this apply to all Audeze headphones or just some?

It is just my personal view. Most disagree. But both Audeze and Meze try to shield against it. Why would they if it would be harmless? To be sure the magnets are much weaker than an MRI magnet, but we are talking about daily use for hours on end. I can provide links to Audeze and Meze info on shielding against this. Maybe they got it 100% right. But to me it's too big a gamble to leave it to a boutique company to get it just right.

May 15, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #334 of 435
It is just my personal view. Most disagree. But both Audeze and Meze try to shield against it. Why would they if it would be harmless? To be sure the magnets are much weaker than an MRI magnet, but we are talking about daily use for hours on end. I can provide links to Audeze and Meze info on shielding against this. Maybe they got it 100% right. But to me it's too big a gamble to leave it to a boutique company to get it just right.

Thanks, I appreciate the perspective. It wouldn't surprise me if there was some truth to what you are saying - everything is trying to kill us these days :)

May 15, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #335 of 435
Thanks, I appreciate the perspective. It wouldn't surprise me if there was some truth to what you are saying - everything is trying to kill us these days :)

There can be some truth to it of course but I think using a cellphone or bluetooth buds all day long is much more harmful.
And then sleep with that thing charging next to your bed ... so it's really 24/7

And these days many people can't live a second without that thing, even when driving a car.
Had to wait in the car while my wife was at the dentist this morning, I was parked perpendicular to the street right next to a stop light.
About half of the people were texting or calling with their device in hand whether driving through or standing still (you get a fine for both here).
Same thing on the motorway back home, about 1/3 of the people busy with their toy while driving 120kph or well over it.
Costs lives ...

May 15, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #336 of 435
There can be some truth to it of course but I think using a cellphone or bluetooth buds all day long is much more harmful.
And then sleep with that thing charging next to your bed ... so it's really 24/7

And these days many people can't live a second without that thing, even when driving a car.
Had to wait in the car while my wife was at the dentist this morning, I was parked perpendicular to the street right next to a stop light.
About half of the people were texting or calling with their device in hand whether driving through or standing still (you get a fine for both here).
Same thing on the motorway back home, about 1/3 of the people busy with their toy while driving 120kph or well over it.
Costs lives ...

Yep crazy times we are living. Listening to music is my get-out and my technology break. I don't even charge my phone in the bedroom anymore and don't miss it one bit!

May 15, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #337 of 435
Here you go guys:

First Meze -
They say this about their Empyrean which has powerful magnets: "Magnetic field shielding; The ferromagnetic ear pads decrease the magnetic stray field affecting the listeners head. STRAY FIELD REDUCTION FROM ISOMAGNETIC® PLATE COUPLING Patented ferromagnetic plates channel the demagnetizing field back into the driver increasing efficiency by 1db or 12% and deflect 95% of stray fields away from the head." This is halfway down the page here - mezeaudio.com/products/meze-empyrean .

Second Audeze from the MX4 in thread in response to my query:
"Though we do not claim this explicitly, the Fluxor magnets are designed to minimize leakage and instead focus the flux where it is needed, i.e. on the diaphragm. This results in a whopping 1.5 Tesla at the diaphragm and close to nothing outside. So there is no fear of any of those strong field reaching ones head/brain. One could consider it as a form of passive magnetic shielding. " Post 677 here - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-lcd-mx4.862165/page-46 .

Make what you will of it. I am not a conspiracy theorist and I shrug my shoulders when people respond to this with the tin foil hat wink. Most people laugh and say that if an MRI is completely safe and has up to 7 Tesla, then 1.5 Tesla in an Audeze headphone cannot be harmful. Fine, but to me, once I've read this, something of the enjoyment of using their headphones for hours per day went away. The same people who laugh are then left baffled when they see what Meze and Audeze claim regarding shielding. The fact is that a) the studies indicate some risk associated with repeated MRI use (one of the top, reputable studies pulled up on Google) and b) while people who need MRIs undergo the procedure once, twice, or three times... using headphones is a daily, continuous thing.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #338 of 435
Ugh was looking for reviews not tinfoil hat reccomendations.

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #339 of 435

As an owner of the MX4, I would say it's about 10-15% better than the GX in terms of overall resolution, but I actually prefer the default sound signature of the GX. I heard one the other day and went looking for a used one on the cheap...but couldn't find any, so decided to get one brand new.

The GX is an incredible headphone for the price. I can't believe anyone would say it's not worth the asking price, it's easily worth it. It blows away my previous LCD2 non-fazor that I bought back in 2014 and sold last year. It just blows that one away in terms of resolution and how revealing it is of the highs. It has a very slight loss of resolution compared to the MX4 but it's not a whole lot in my opinion having heard both A/B in a few hours. The MX4 sounded better than the X but not enough to warrant the enormous price difference, even still I bought a pair but never paid nearly the asking price, and got my pair at a great discount.

I would say the GX is about 85% as good as an LCD-4z. Not sure where the MX4 would fall into that because it really has a different sound signature to the GX. The GX is more in line with the classic LCD line-up, with just a touch of the qualities of the reference LCD line-up (namely the highs being a little more revealing). The 4z I heard had a glorious sound, but the GX was close. Damned close.

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #340 of 435
Does this headset incorporate any form surround sound like the Mobius or it straight stereo?

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #342 of 435
I think he is spot on, despite clearly being a tech guy and not an audiophile necessarily. Although his main headphone is the HD-600, so impeccable taste.

Jun 24, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #343 of 435
I think he is spot on, despite clearly being a tech guy and not an audiophile necessarily. Although his main headphone is the HD-600, so impeccable taste.

I found his review sincere as well.
Looking from a head-fi standpoint and being used to premium prices I think these are pretty good headphones for the money, be it for music as well as gaming/movies.

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #344 of 435
Picked up a set during Moon Audio's recent sale, and it arrived this afternoon. Very comfortable and smooth frequency response for an LCD. Happier with it than when I had an LCD2c for a few months. I can see why a lot of reviewers want Audeze to replace the LCD2c with a reskinned GX. Maybe a LCD2X? Can it compete with my beloved Aeolus? Nope, but that's asking A LOT. What it does do is work better with all my usual devices that are not a dedicated headphone amp.

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #345 of 435
Picked up a set during Moon Audio's recent sale, and it arrived this afternoon. Very comfortable and smooth frequency response for an LCD. Happier with it than when I had an LCD2c for a few months. I can see why a lot of reviewers want Audeze to replace the LCD2c with a reskinned GX. Maybe a LCD2X? Can it compete with my beloved Aeolus? Nope, but that's asking A LOT. What it does do is work better with all my usual devices that are not a dedicated headphone amp.

I hear you, but does it EVER have a use case without a dedicated headphone amp? I mean, it's big, clunky, open, falls off the head easily... not exactly something you will take outside of the home often?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back