Anedio D2 DAC release
Oct 14, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #1,306 of 1,416

Another factor is that people who buy the D2 (or the D1 before that) tend to sort of drop out of the DAC arms race. It's kind of like when someone gets in to Stax gear, or gets a super nice tube amp from Eddie Current or ECP Audio. They tend to stop worrying about the flavor of the month or whatever new releases might show up and become "hot" - they know the gear they already own is extremely good, and they have no desire to look elsewhere. That tends to make people participate less on the forums.

I feel that way about my D1. I have been tempted to get the D2 a few times when they have showed up in the FS at very good prices. I feel I'm at the point where there's no need to get another dac. Although at 1k for refurbished I would jump on that in a heartbeat if I was in the market for one.

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #1,307 of 1,416
That quote. My thoughts exactly project86. I too had considered the D2, and despite good excuses being a poor student, I found myself pretty settled with the D1 if you just put away the nitpicking. It is a decent DAC already. Unless I win the lotery or something I might go for that Resonessence.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #1,308 of 1,416
has anyone compared the D2 with Teac UD-501 as PCM DAC and headphone amp?

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #1,309 of 1,416
  Another factor is that people who buy the D2 (or the D1 before that) tend to sort of drop out of the DAC arms race. 

That's pretty much the case for me. After buying this I think there are other places to spend money that would give me much better returns.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #1,310 of 1,416
I'm also not sure why the D1 and D2 don't get more love.  It's probably that we owners don't go and champion them in every recommendation thread.  I now have a Metrum Hex and have auditioned countless (probably almost all of them except for the Audio-GD line) 1-3k DAC contenders.  I do like the Hex better than the D1 and D2 because it's more organic sounding and cohesive, but I thought the D2 was better or the equal of vaunted DACs like the Auralic Vega, PWD Perfect Wave MKII, and April Music DP1, among others.

The current fire sale at Anedio is an absurd value.

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #1,311 of 1,416
^ I understand Anedio DACs were frequently out of production, and new batches would sell out in days. Not a bad thing IMO. Like project86 said, they're low-profile and James is retired. There's good reason to avoid becoming "big".

After Anedio stopped selling overseas (ironically just as I decided to buy) I almost contacted you Failed Engineer about your D1! In the event I've ended up with a BMC PureDAC. Couldn't be happier. I imagine a D1 or D2 would've made me equally happy :wink:

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #1,313 of 1,416
A question for those of you that have the D2, as an all in one unit, is it bass light, or can it kick in the bass when needed?

I'm coming from an Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac) with Musical Fideltiy V-Link that I have on the warmer side.
I also have a Burson Audio Soloist and a currently not using Schiit Lyr as amps.

I'm looking for more musical resolution and more detail from my home setup.
As a dap I'm currently using the Dbasso HDP  R10, which uses the DS9018 chip, and I love that sound.

Still I'm worried that I'll loose the bass in the music I listen to with the D2. I would think that combining it with a darker amp would take care of any worries, right?

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #1,314 of 1,416
  A question for those of you that have the D2, as an all in one unit, is it bass light, or can it kick in the bass when needed?

I'm coming from an Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac) with Musical Fideltiy V-Link that I have on the warmer side.
I also have a Burson Audio Soloist and a currently not using Schiit Lyr as amps.

I'm looking for more musical resolution and more detail from my home setup.
As a dap I'm currently using the Dbasso HDP  R10, which uses the DS9018 chip, and I love that sound.

Still I'm worried that I'll loose the bass in the music I listen to with the D2. I would think that combining it with a darker amp would take care of any worries, right?

the d2 isn't on the warm side, rather it has a just right soundstage followed by tight bass ~ a bit on the cold side.

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #1,315 of 1,416
I got a demo unit to try out with my system. Spent the $50 to evaluate the D2 before buying, if I like than the $50 gets subtracted from final cost, otherwise I'll be out $50 if it doesn't work out for me.
I have a Soloist amp as well as an older Lyr. Soloist is more neutral while the Lyr is on the warmer side of things.
I'll try the included amp in the D2, then the Soloist and the Lyr and see how it all sounds with my more used headphones.
My tastes may be changing anyway, I really like the neutral, detailed, ibasso R10 dap. I'm hoping that the D2 takes me in that direction with my home setup.
Fun times ahead. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #1,316 of 1,416
  I got a demo unit to try out with my system. Spent the $50 to evaluate the D2 before buying, if I like than the $50 gets subtracted from final cost, otherwise I'll be out $50 if it doesn't work out for me.
I have a Soloist amp as well as an older Lyr. Soloist is more neutral while the Lyr is on the warmer side of things.
I'll try the included amp in the D2, then the Soloist and the Lyr and see how it all sounds with my more used headphones.
My tastes may be changing anyway, I really like the neutral, detailed, ibasso R10 dap. I'm hoping that the D2 takes me in that direction with my home setup.
Fun times ahead. 

Comparison between soloist and D2's internal amp can be interesting, keep us posted, please!

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #1,317 of 1,416
  Comparison between soloist and D2's internal amp can be interesting, keep us posted, please!

Should be getting next week, will update after I hook it up.

BTW, does anyone use the D2 balanced out to balanced amp? If so what are you using and how does it sound?

Nov 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #1,318 of 1,416

Should be getting next week, will update after I hook it up.

BTW, does anyone use the D2 balanced out to balanced amp? If so what are you using and how does it sound?

Sometimes I connect via XLR out to the Auralic Taurus mkII, for a fully balanced system. I use HD800 with balanced Toxic Cables Scorpion, or LCD-2 with stock balanced cable. Sounds great. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #1,319 of 1,416

Sometimes I connect via XLR out to the Auralic Taurus mkII, for a fully balanced system. I use HD800 with balanced Toxic Cables Scorpion, or LCD-2 with stock balanced cable. Sounds great. 

BTW, didn't you (or anyone else) have an opportunity to compare D2 to Auralic ARK mx+ dac? I'm satisfied with Anedio, but I can get Auralic for a stupid good price, is it worth it?

Nov 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,320 of 1,416
BTW, didn't you (or anyone else) have an opportunity to compare D2 to Auralic ARK mx+ dac? I'm satisfied with Anedio, but I can get Auralic for a stupid good price, is it worth it?

Nope, never heard it. I really enjoy their Taurus amp, and I heard the Vega a few times and have a very high opinion of it. But the MX+ has eluded me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back