Anedio D2 DAC release
Sep 9, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #991 of 1,416
Quote:
Does anyone know when they will be available again? Is there a huge waiting list that needs to be filled first?

The last thing i heard was they were saying that it was going to be the end of september. But if you go back and read the thread of their original projections for the second batch, they were several months off on that one too, so im not gonna be upset if i dont get one till like october or even the beginning of november. But you can email them and ask about it, and they can put you on a list that they will email once they put the pre order up for the next batch. thats what i did.

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #992 of 1,416
yes...I am on the waiting list and was given direct confirmation that the next batch of D2's is on schedule and will be available at the end of September..they are not giving an exact date as of yet.
Hope that helps.

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #993 of 1,416
Quote:
yes...I am on the waiting list and was given direct confirmation that the next batch of D2's is on schedule and will be available at the end of September..they are not giving an exact date as of yet.
Hope that helps.

Thats good to hear. THough it probably still wont be in time for our local Dayton meet on the 22nd, but ill keep my fingers crossed.

So i have to ask, was the V800 not good enough for ya? or are you just curious whats out there that could be better?

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #994 of 1,416
I heard Rawrster's Anedio D1 today, straight out of the headphone out instead of the V200, and the amp section of this DAC is really impressive.  Compared to the Zodiac's HP out it has a little more cojones and a smooth, organic tone.  With the fairly efficient D7000s, I preferred the D1 direct instead of with the V200 in the way.  If the D2's amp section is the same or better, this DAC's a great buy for those w/ efficient headphones looking for a sophisticated one box solution.  

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #995 of 1,416
Quote:
I'm using LCD2 rev 2 with D2.  I had the HD800 and compared it to LCD2 side by side for a couple of months and eventually sold it in favor of LCD2.  I found LCD2 having much less driver colorations, with faster, stronger transients and impacts.

The other reference pair I have is the Stax SR-407 Lambda Signature.  407 has better transparency, micro details and speed than the LCD2.  I'm driving the 407 with Stax SRM-T1 tube HPA.

does it mean the LCD2 (and the HD800) are using the D2 as headphone amp too?

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #996 of 1,416
Quote:

Thats good to hear. THough it probably still wont be in time for our local Dayton meet on the 22nd, but ill keep my fingers crossed.

So i have to ask, was the V800 not good enough for ya? or are you just curious whats out there that could be better?

LOL!...I have to laugh at your comment..I have no experience...I have no point of comparison.. I am listening to (mostly) RedBook CD-Quality music (no HD) via Mac, iTunes, V200, V800, LCD2's.  I just tried an Amarra free trial and may purchase that this week as I like the sonic change that it offers (I tried a HiFace2 interface and for me, I could discern no sonic improvement so I returned it).  I am really enjoying my setup...but the reason I am on the waiting list for the D2 is that I am improving a little stereo speaker set-up I have in another room..I just purchased a Woo Audio CD Transport which requires a good DAC (so this is torture waiting!!!! The Woo is beautiful but I cannot listen to it.. LOL!) and plan on adding the D2 and a modest Chinese (Yaqin) tube amp. (which will be replacing an Audio Engine N22). I also have just a pair of Paradigm Atom Monitors but  if I am suitably impressed with the sound quality, I will upgrade the speakers to Paradigm Studio 10's or Studio 20's.
Now...I can see that it will be quite tempting to compare the D2  to the V800 once I have both of them on hand and see if I can learn more about sound differences with the use of a DAC.  This is all new to me. I love music and this is a lot of FUN!

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #999 of 1,416
I wonder how this compares to the new Burson Conductor. I'm trying to decide whether I should continue with a one box setup (currently have a NuForce HDP) or get a separate dac/hpa i.e. the V800/V200. Tough decision..

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #1,000 of 1,416
I just read up on the Audiopheilio 1. Can some explain to me how a $1000 USB interface could possibly improve the sound from my iMac to my Violectric V800 to a degree that would justify that amount of cash outlay? I am a newbie and tested a Hi-Face 2 and could hear no improvement in sound quality so I sent it back. Am I missing something here or do I just have lousy ears??? LOL! I would love some input to enlighten me.....

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #1,001 of 1,416
Quote:
I just read up on the Audiopheilio 1. Can some explain to me how a $1000 USB interface could possibly improve the sound from my iMac to my Violectric V800 to a degree that would justify that amount of cash outlay? I am a newbie and tested a Hi-Face 2 and could hear no improvement in sound quality so I sent it back. Am I missing something here or do I just have lousy ears??? LOL! I would love some input to enlighten me.....

Good question. There are two schools of thought on this:

1) Adaptive USB (which is what the V800 uses) is always inferior to asynchronous USB (which the HiFace and Audiophilleo both are). It has higher jitter and thus leads to smearing, lack of clarity, etc. Not all async solutions are that great though, and maybe the HiFace you tried was nearly on par with the V800 USB section, thus explaining the lack of improvement.

2) Violectric would say that their sample rate conversion circuit already reclocks the incoming data and strips it of jitter. This should be effective enough, and thus you don't need the lower jitter signal that Audiophilleo would give you. 

Opinion one means you should try the Audiophilleo and it should be an decent improvement. Opinion two means leave it alone and enjoy what you have. It's up to you to decide which you should do. 

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #1,002 of 1,416
Hi guys, my Legato II has arrived.  Still charging the batt.  Need more time to compare the sound to the orginal Legato.  So far I heard improved clarity and a darker background.  Perhaps I should start a new thread on this.

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #1,003 of 1,416
Interesting. Still redbook only right? If it could do high-res I'd be all over it. I'm looking at Chanel Island's new Transient MKII. They promise sub 1ps clocks, but the real appeal of it is that when fed with the accompanying LPS (or a 5V battery supply), it no longer needs any connection to the USB powerline. Dusty confirmed that the Vbus line can be completely severed.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #1,004 of 1,416
Thank you 86....a precise, contemplative reply as usual...hmmm...since I Am really enjoying my music lately...me thinks that the $1000 would be better spent on a lens...more noticeable reward..heh..heh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back