Anedio D2 DAC release
Sep 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #977 of 1,416
Quote:
<pps> ESS's Martin Mallinson has already demonstrated some of the things wrong with ADI's S-D parts. Check out the video from RMAF last year. Of course he doesn't mention ADI by name.

I've also read from some manufacturers that the Sabre is a bit of a person to implement properly. PS for example didn't like it, they opted for the WM8741 instead.

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #978 of 1,416
Quote:

I've also read from some manufacturers that the Sabre is a bit of a person to implement properly. PS for example didn't like it, they opted for the WM8741 instead.

Fried Reim of Lake People/Violectric came to a similar conclusion. Though he uses a PCM1792 which you clearly dislike, so take that for what it's worth.

BTW - it's Mark Mallinson from Resonessence/formerly of ESS. Not Martin. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #980 of 1,416
Quote:

He must be a different member of the family - the one I was talking about is Martin, still at ESS when he gave the talk at RMAF in Oct 2011.

I think you're right - how confusing! It's not a super-common name, so perhaps they really are related. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #981 of 1,416
.....any more impressions of the stock DAC? All this mod talk is great, but it's really taking the thread in a whole other direction. 

The D2 with SBT and EDO is the best source I have heard (I have had a WFS DAC-2; Havana with the best tubes; Wadia 121 and also a Rega pass through for comparisons). For my system and preference the D2 is the most transparent and realistic sound I have heard on my 2 channel system. No glare or harshness. The other Dacs all seemed a little clumsy and muddy with the Decware Torii with V-Caps feeding the Zu Superfly's. This amp is so revealing and transparent, that it requires a really good source. The D2 was like a fresh breath of air. I instantly found what I was missing (speed, openness, immediacy and yet a beautiful intimate quality). Also, the fact that the Aqvox USB power supply makes no difference is a testimony to how good the USB of the D2 really is in comparison to other Dac in its price range and higher. I think I will try the Audiophilleo with PurePower just to satisfy my curiosity, but I really think the improvement will be slight and most likely not worth it.

I think it's great others want to mod the D2 in attempt to squeeze out a bit more performance, but for me it is perfect the way it is.

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #982 of 1,416
Thanks for the further impression Orangecrush! I'm also pleased with my stock D2 running USB from my Macbook Pro. I recently picked up a SB Touch to try out, but haven't had a chance to hook it up. Are you going USB or S/Pdif out of the Touch to the D2?

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #983 of 1,416
I was running spdif but from this thread I learned about the EDO app and now run USB and it is slightly better. I have never had the privilege to hear mega buck dacs like others here, but I love what I am hearing now. Maybe ignorance IS bliss!:wink:

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #984 of 1,416
Thinking more about the Aqvox. I use balanced power, I wonder how much of a difference it makes. Equitech claims in one test, balanced power reduced average jitter by 1/2 and peak jitter by 2/3. I know nothing about this stuff. Anyone else using balanced power?

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #985 of 1,416
Quote:
Thinking more about the Aqvox. I use balanced power, I wonder how much of a difference it makes. Equitech claims in one test, balanced power reduced average jitter by 1/2 and peak jitter by 2/3. I know nothing about this stuff. Anyone else using balanced power?

Yup, B-P-T. 900VA Plitron balanaced transformer, several EMI and RF absorbing technologies, Auricaps on each outlet for component to component isolation, and four FIM outlets, all for about $350 on Audiogon. Not a bad deal if I do say so
biggrin.gif

That said, if your SBT is running from a switch-mode supply instead of a custom linear supply, the input power should have little to no difference. What balanced power can do for you though is remove the effects of using a SMPS from the rest of the circuit.

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #986 of 1,416
Any owner is using LCD3 with the D2? Or even better, having both the LCD3 and the HD800. Which one have a better synergy? I had a listen to the HD800 with my D2, so I have a good idea how it is like. But I don't have access to the LCD3.

Any opinion is much appreciated.

Cheers,

KK

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #987 of 1,416
I'm using LCD2 rev 2 with D2.  I had the HD800 and compared it to LCD2 side by side for a couple of months and eventually sold it in favor of LCD2.  I found LCD2 having much less driver colorations, with faster, stronger transients and impacts.

The other reference pair I have is the Stax SR-407 Lambda Signature.  407 has better transparency, micro details and speed than the LCD2.  I'm driving the 407 with Stax SRM-T1 tube HPA.

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #988 of 1,416
Quote:
The D2 with SBT and EDO is the best source I have heard (I have had a WFS DAC-2; Havana with the best tubes; Wadia 121 and also a Rega pass through for comparisons).

I'm curious about how close the WFS DAC-2 is to the D2.

As far as I know you're the first person on the forums I follow that has had both DACs in their system.

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #989 of 1,416
I'm curious about how close the WFS DAC-2 is to the D2.

As far as I know you're the first person on the forums I follow that has had both DACs in their system.

The Anedio has a much better USB implementation than the WFS. Other than that I think it is personal preference. The WFS to me sounds a bit slower, heavier but in the way of lacking transparancy and openness. I love the sound signature of Decware and First Watt amps: fast, tight, open and transparent. I feel the Anedio is in this category. The sound is lit up and energized, super tight bass and really smooth highs. The WFS reminds me more of the old McIntosh sound: bass emphasis, slower and a more rolled off top end. Very pleasing but with that in my system it became a bit boring. Actually it sounded closer to the Havana Dac with a Bendix tube. On the other hand I can see how some might find the Anedio lean. However, it it not bright or clinical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back