Anedio D2 DAC release
Jun 14, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #571 of 1,416
Not sure I want to spend that much for the WyWires. Maybe for the blue.

Unlike Adaptive USB (e.g., Anedio D1), the Async USB iinterface in the D2 is not sensitive to cables (clock is generated in the DAC). So, there's no need to spend money on a fancy USB cable... If you get some a fancy cable, do some A-B comparions, and let your ears be the judge.

I'm using a standard (Belkin Gold) USB 2.0 cable:
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?&Product_Id=608151&subid=17941

Good luck,
HookEm

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #572 of 1,416
I use the NuForce impulse USB cable. It's affordable at $20 or less, it looks really nice, and is one of the few quality USB cables I found in shorter lengths. That last bit is important for me - I don't need 6 feet or 10 feet of cable hanging everywhere. For my needs, .5 meters was perfect. They also come in longer lengths if needed.

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #573 of 1,416
Recently, I got an apogee Bigben for my D2.

HAHA. In previous, I always think that digital signal is not much impact on sound quality. Expecially for an async USB.
I beleive that an async USB will be good enougth for remove jitters.

But, it seems that I am wrong. The USB is really sensitve with the player software, I means that the OS. The windows 7
is not very good. And ubuntu studio with low latency kernel sound more relax that windows.

I got a Bigben. My sound card is AES16. I have compare D2 USB input and the AES 16, the USB sound more clarity,
a little more clear sound stages. AES 16 sound more soft that the USB. For a long time listening, AES 16 may be better.

I try to add Bigben as a external clock for my AES 16. But I do not do that. I just input the AES to Bigben and output from AES and
convert to BNC to my D2. Suddently, I sound more clear sound stage, more deep, more space information. and more soft sound.
The soft here means nature, it means that just like you listen some sound in the real world, it is soft, no may you feel uncomfirtable.

The sound is more accurate position that the USB input, more nature. For USB input, you can here each instructment's positions clearly.
But with Bigben, you are not only hear that, but also here some detail of the instructments. The USB, I must said that it is very detail, but
the detail is still not enougth to make the sound smooth. With the Bigben, you can listen more and more detial, all detail is continuious to
make the sound feel smooth.

D2's USB is good enougth, it is close to AES16 sound card without Bigben. An AES16 will take about 800 dollar, and it is a internal card,
not convinens as a externel card or USB interface.

But, my exprience with BigBen to make me know that it is not the best digital interface. AES16 + Bigben is better. A/B test will make it
obvious. Without A/B, USB is good enougth. D2 is really good DAC. I am happy with it.

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #574 of 1,416
I primarily listen to cds, using a Tascam CD200 as a transport. I had been very pleased with the sound of the Tascam-D2 combo. On a lark, I decided to add an Audio-gd DI-DSP to the system. I llooked at as a gamble, but $300 for the DI and power supply, what the hell, I'll try it. Well, I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement in SQ, greater smoothness, better soundstaging and detail retrieval, over all, a significantly better sound. I suspect that those using very high quality HPs will notice a similar improvement. Highly recommended! Regards

Jun 22, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #575 of 1,416
Anyone received their D2 yet ?

I ordered withing the first 5 minutes of availability..good thing since it was "out of stock" in 2 days..

Now waiting for the D2 to arrive..

Riker

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #577 of 1,416
Quote:
Anyone received their D2 yet ?

I ordered withing the first 5 minutes of availability..good thing since it was "out of stock" in 2 days..

Now waiting for the D2 to arrive..

Riker

Not yet! Should ship this week!

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #578 of 1,416
I asked Anedio and their response was:

End of next week or start of week after.. so we could be looking at early July before they ship. They use USPS and told me I should receive it  usually 4 to 6 days after they ship it.

When I asked why does it take that long between ordering and shipping, she said, "we have received more orders than anticipated".
But, if they had a set amount of units that went on sale, then they were all sold in 2 days, they must have known they were going to sell what they had made.. just like the last time as well.. I don't really understand but that's what it is.

I'll just have to wait it out..

Question ! It has been suggested that the D2 requires about 100 hours of burn in
A. Is that true ?
B. Does the unit have to be playing music to burn in ? or put another way, if I connect a source to it but don't turn on my amp / speakers etc.. is it still "burning in " ?

Thanks
Riker

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #581 of 1,416
I think I've have finally come to the point where im going to get on the list for one of these guys. Tomorrow I'll go ahead and call over there.

Though there still is a small part of me that worries that there might be something better for the money...but given all the incredible impressions the D1 has, and given that the D2 is even better...i highly doubt that.

wonder how long ill have to wait for the next shipment though?

Edit:Well i made myself feel alot better by going back and once again(gotta be like the 10th time or so) read Project86's review of the D1...and to think the D2 is even better

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #583 of 1,416
Quote:

Though there still is a small part of me that worries that there might be something better for the money...but given all the incredible impressions the D1 has, and given that the D2 is even better...i highly doubt that.

We have to be careful not to confuse audio gear with stuff like high-end video cards. It's easy to find benchmarks between the latest Geforce and Radeon cards, and see which one is best. It's not so easy to come to an objective decision about which DAC, amp, etc is best for you. 

While myself and many others have been very happy with the Anedio D1/D2, I wouldn't ever call a single item the best for everyone. Some people want a warmer sound, or a more bright sound, or just a different sound. At least one person I know of tried the D1 and didn't fall in love, ended up being happier in the end with the Metrum Octave. Nothing wrong with that. 

I think it's obvious how much enjoyment I get out of the Anedio gear. I just don't want anyone to have the wrong idea - NO single item is perfect for everyone. That's why you just have to take the plunge and try for yourself!

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #584 of 1,416
Quote:

We have to be careful not to confuse audio gear with stuff like high-end video cards. It's easy to find benchmarks between the latest Geforce and Radeon cards, and see which one is best. It's not so easy to come to an objective decision about which DAC, amp, etc is best for you. 

While myself and many others have been very happy with the Anedio D1/D2, I wouldn't ever call a single item the best for everyone. Some people want a warmer sound, or a more bright sound, or just a different sound. At least one person I know of tried the D1 and didn't fall in love, ended up being happier in the end with the Metrum Octave. Nothing wrong with that. 

I think it's obvious how much enjoyment I get out of the Anedio gear. I just don't want anyone to have the wrong idea - NO single item is perfect for everyone. That's why you just have to take the plunge and try for yourself!

Its true, just one more reason why they are so awesome with their 30 day in home trail period, so on the off chance i dont just love the thing, ill just send it back 
smily_headphones1.gif

now the wait for the next batch to be announced...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back