Anedio D2 DAC release
May 27, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #511 of 1,416
Quote:

I"m not familiar with the latest Bel Canto models, but I had the $2500 DAC-3 from a couple of years ago, which I thought was average at best. John Darko rated it 3.5/5, I'dve given it 3/5. FWIW, he gave the DAC 1.5 four stars, and the Anedio D1 five stars. Assuming the D2 is better than the D1...

I have purchased the Matrix Mini-i for now, lets see how it goes. Anedio D2 is on the list after the SR-009's.

May 27, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #512 of 1,416
Quote:
Has anyone ever returned one?

I know a handful of folks who returned or sold off the original D1 because it didn't work out for them. And I've seen at least one person who returned the D2. 

No DAC is going to satisfy every single person out there. It just ain't possible. Too many varying opinions of what a DAC should sound like. It's the same deal with headphones, amps, and speakers too - check Audiogon and see how many highly regarded, megabuck items end up not working out for people. 

As much as I love my D2 (and loved my D1), let's not pretend it is the perfect solution for everyone. It is for many of us, but not all. And that's OK!

Quote:
I'm not returning mine!!

If you are serious about buying, I would suggest pre-ordering. That's what I did it and got the unit a few months later. If you wait for them to have a surplus stock, it could be a while.

That's good advice. 

Any impressions formed yet, in terms of your D2 versus Audio Research? No big deal, just curious. 

May 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #513 of 1,416
Quote:
Cool. You can always cancel the pre-order if something comes up, but at least you're on the list for the next batch. 

Can't pre-order until 6/4. 
frown.gif

May 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #514 of 1,416
I have 2 questions:
1. Does (or did) anyone have a chance to compare it to Calyx Dac 24/192? I like what I am reading about D2, it's performance seem to be on top of 1500$ dacs, but so far I have seen it only in white and in general I like the minimalistic look of black Calyx Dac more. Its not like I want to make decision based on the look, but If I pay such money for smth, I want it to be somehow visualy applealing :)
2. Did anyone try to ask Anedio if there is a possibility to make D2 in black (black chasis with red leds would be awesome)? I would like to maintain some kind of visual theme for my audio rig, but so far I have seen D2 only in white. So far D2 is the hottest contender for my next purchase, I pretty much ruled out every other dac in this price range, except for Calyx which is kind of mystery to me.

May 27, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #515 of 1,416
I don't recall anyone posting that had experience with the Anedio and the Calyx. It might be hard to find anyone like that since both units are only out there in relatively small numbers. Sorry!

I do think people have asked Anedio for a black enclosure option. With the D1, the answer was "sorry, not going to happen". I think with the D2 it is more likely to happen some day, but I can't say for sure. At the moment there is only the single color, which is actually a somewhat dark silver. It's darker than my other silver equipment but nobody will confuse it for being black....

May 27, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #516 of 1,416
Quote:
I have 2 questions:
1. Does (or did) anyone have a chance to compare it to Calyx Dac 24/192? I like what I am reading about D2, it's performance seem to be on top of 1500$ dacs, but so far I have seen it only in white and in general I like the minimalistic look of black Calyx Dac more. Its not like I want to make decision based on the look, but If I pay such money for smth, I want it to be somehow visualy applealing :)

The Anedio and Calyx do both seem to be able to punch far above their price class (I've seen the Calyx described as much better than the Ayre, and not that far from the Weiss 202). The Calyx presumably has the better USB implementation, there's no internal S/Pdif conversion and it doesn't have to go through the digital receiver like on the Anedio, it's straight I2S. The other side of that is, given that the Calyx can be completely powered by USB, I assume there's no galvanic isolation, but I don't know if that has been confirmed. That means the Anedio is likely to better deal with a straight USB connection to the computer. The Calyx likely needs a SoTM card or Vaunix Hub to clean up the USB signal before it gets to the DAC.

The Calyx also doesn't have an internal power supply. You've got a choice of USB or AC adapter power, but if you want to get the best out of it, you need the CLPS which I think is $350 (or you could roll your own 5V supply if you want). The Calyx was designed first and foremost as a USB DAC, so if you're planning to use S/Pdif, the Anedio is likely the better choice. With USB it might swing the other way, but I'm not sure, Ive never seen a direct comparison.

May 27, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #517 of 1,416
I forgot to mention that USB performance is the most important part for me. I will be using it with PC (htpc or laptop) or maybe SBT with EDO plugin. Either way, USB is the way to go + I require coax input as well, one never knows when it comes handy :) On the other hand, I dont need built-in headphone amp nor volume control, so thats just plus on D2 side.
I was looking at Calyx with Kingrex PSU MKII 5V/3A which costs 200$ extra if I remember correctly, its said it takes DAC 24/192 to whole new level. Nevertheless, I should not be disappointed by neither of these two, I still have few months till I get enough money to make a purchase, so hopefully I will gather as much info as I need and make my mind until then.

May 27, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #518 of 1,416
Any impressions formed yet, in terms of your D2 versus Audio Research? No big deal, just curious. 

The D2 competes well against the A.R., so well in fact that I sold the A.R. DAC. I'm not saying that the D2 was a lot better, but it was just as good in different ways. The biggest thing was the bass seemed a little tighter and went deeper. The A.R. probably had the edge with detail and air, but it was not a huge difference. Plus the USB implementation on the D2 was superior and allowed me to stop using my older Diverter. That not only saved me 1 less component and cables, but saved me a lot of shelf space. I just didn't have room for a A.R. preamp and DAC in my small cabinet. The D2's volume control has also turned out to be a nice feature that I use a lot. It has given me more range on both my preamp and headphone amp, which has been nice. Overall I'm very pleased with the D2's performance, especially for the price, and plan on keeping it for a while.

May 27, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #519 of 1,416
Has anyone compared the Aneido to the EE Minimax DAC plus? I have the plus for a few days and though it sounds great, their is no emotional connection. I was hoping just because they both use the Sabre they will sound different.
Any thoughts would be welcome!
Thnx
Mike

May 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #520 of 1,416
This D2 DAC has been out for awhile, I wonder why there have been no pro reviews by anyone on this DAC, assuming it is all that? I am interested in purchasing one, but wanted to view at least one pro review, considering this is supposedly a really good DAC.

May 30, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #522 of 1,416
Reviews are advertiser driven in the major magazines and most web based reviews are suspect at best. I suggest you use Anedio's 30 day home trial. Reviews, even the best of them, are only valid in the reviewers system and with his/her personal tastes in mind. In other words, your results may vary. If you must go  by reviews, try to find a reviewer with a system similar to yours and with similar tastes in sound and in music. BTW I have found 86"s reviews to be at least as credible as those in the major rags. Regards

May 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #524 of 1,416
I was wondering if anyone has compared the high vs low gain settings on the D2 headphone amp with LCD-2s.  I've only ever turned it up to mid-60s with low gain, so it is powerful enough, but I am curious if there would be any improvement from using high gain?  I'd love to hear any first-hand experience before "going under the hood" just to satisfy my curiosity :wink:
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back