Anedio D2 DAC release
May 17, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #496 of 1,416
Since we are on the music player / streamer subject, does anyone have specific experience using a Sonos system with the D2 ? I currently have a Sonos ZP80 connected with wired Ethernet to my network and connected to my Anthem Pre Processor using spdif cable, specifically the Kimber PBJ interconnect.

In this configuration, the Anthem is doing all the DAC functions with it's internal AKM DACs, which sounds OK but not great. In fact, my Panasonic BluRay Player sounds better playing the same songs on CD than on Sonos, that's with the BD player DAC decoding and sending the analog signal to the Anthem.

So, my expectation is that by purchasing the Anedio D2, connecting my Sonos player with my Kimber PBJ cable via spdif and then using the Analog out of the D2 (either spdif or xlr) to my Anthem will sound considerably better than my current config.. I really hope that the D2 config really sounds MUCH better than the CD on the BD player. It should given that the BD player is worth $300 and the D2 DAC alone is worth $1470 !! I would certainly expect the D2 to sound significantly better than the DAC in a $300 BD player. If not, then I will be very disappointed..We will see. I will be ordering a D2 on the next available batch in early June.

Cheers,
Riker

May 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #497 of 1,416
Quote:
Thanks Leo. I'll keep fiddling and try some of your suggestions and see what I can come up with.

The Anedio peoples provide a little bit of insight into using the SBT with the D1 on their website. As I understand it, they imply they did in fact expect the SBT to perform better with a wired network connection. But subsequent measurements of the digital signal from the SBT showed very little if any difference between wired and wireless. I have given both a good listen and can't detect any difference.

If you have a decent wireless signal, I'd expect no difference either way (it's just network packets being delivered to the SBT, so wireless should be fine).

However, if you're able to use a wired connection (i.e., if you have network wall-jack close enough to the the SBT), you could disable the wireless receiver on the SBT. Basically, the more components your turn off on the SBT, the lower its power consumption (less noise generation), and the less that its firmware will have to keep track of; which should all translate into optimal performance...That is why I suggested to turn off the display while playing, etc.

Good luck

May 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #498 of 1,416
Quote:
Since we are on the music player / streamer subject, does anyone have specific experience using a Sonos system with the D2 ? I currently have a Sonos ZP80 connected with wired Ethernet to my network and connected to my Anthem Pre Processor using spdif cable, specifically the Kimber PBJ interconnect.

In this configuration, the Anthem is doing all the DAC functions with it's internal AKM DACs, which sounds OK but not great. In fact, my Panasonic BluRay Player sounds better playing the same songs on CD than on Sonos, that's with the BD player DAC decoding and sending the analog signal to the Anthem.

So, my expectation is that by purchasing the Anedio D2, connecting my Sonos player with my Kimber PBJ cable via spdif and then using the Analog out of the D2 (either spdif or xlr) to my Anthem will sound considerably better than my current config.. I really hope that the D2 config really sounds MUCH better than the CD on the BD player. It should given that the BD player is worth $300 and the D2 DAC alone is worth $1470 !! I would certainly expect the D2 to sound significantly better than the DAC in a $300 BD player. If not, then I will be very disappointed..We will see. I will be ordering a D2 on the next available batch in early June.

Cheers,
Riker

Well, they do offer a 30-day money back deal... So I suppose it's pretty safe to just "give it a try".
I hope it works out for you (so far I'm satisfied with the D2).

May 26, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #499 of 1,416
Has anyone heard both the Bel Canto DAC1.5 and the Anedio D2,
blink.gif
, which one to get.

May 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #500 of 1,416
I own the D2 and am extremely pleased on both SPDIF and USB. Anedio has a home trial. I would suggest trying both units in your own system. There is no subsitute for listening. Anedio is currently sold out with next ship date of June 18. They have sold out twice now. That should tell you something about the D2's quality. Regards

May 26, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #501 of 1,416
I own the D2 and am extremely pleased on both SPDIF and USB. Anedio has a home trial. I would suggest trying both units in your own system. There is no subsitute for listening. Anedio is currently sold out with next ship date of June 18. They have sold out twice now. That should tell you something about the D2's quality. Regards

Has anyone ever returned one?

May 26, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #502 of 1,416
I have no way of knowing. I can only point to the positive comments on this thread and also on the D1 thread. I do think the D2 is improved, however, and does 24/192 over USB, which I do not believe the Bel Canto does. Do not quote me on that as I am not an expert on Bel Canto. Regards

May 26, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #503 of 1,416
I would also point out that at this level of SQ (and the Bel Canto is a fine DAC) system matching and personal preference play a large part in decision making. Audition in your system is the final arbiter. Regards

May 26, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #510 of 1,416
Quote:
Has anyone heard both the Bel Canto DAC1.5 and the Anedio D2,
blink.gif
, which one to get.

I"m not familiar with the latest Bel Canto models, but I had the $2500 DAC-3 from a couple of years ago, which I thought was average at best. John Darko rated it 3.5/5, I'dve given it 3/5. FWIW, he gave the DAC 1.5 four stars, and the Anedio D1 five stars. Assuming the D2 is better than the D1...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back