Anedio D2 DAC release
May 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #481 of 1,416
Thanks to everyone for your great insights into the D2.

Anyone using a Touch with EDO Plugin, do you think an Audiophilleo (or similar device) would be needed or is the jitter reduction enough on the D2? Also, Are are you using USB or Spdif?

Thanks!

May 15, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #484 of 1,416
I'm using:Touch + EDO, Async USB to the D2.

Me too. The jitter levels using this connection method should be as low or perhaps even lower, than the good USB to SPDIF converters out there. If you are using a converter then EDO is not helping much, only opening up the higher sample rate playback options.

May 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #487 of 1,416
Quote:
Thanks. Any reccomendations on USB cables?

I'm using this: Gold Series Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Cable
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?&Product_Id=608151&subid=17931

With Async USB the clocking work is done in the DAC, so what's important is to deliver packets reliably... And I think that cable does the job, without putting a dent in your pocket. That is, I'd expect that an "Adaptive USB" interface would be more sensitive to cables, but not so for "Async USB". (Plus, "Galvanic Isolation" on the D2 should help matters as well).

But, hey, I'm not a USB cable expert by any means!

[EDIT] FWIW, I found this 'Audiophilleo' link, regarding cables and 'Async USB':
http://www.audiophilleo.com/definitions.aspx?Asynchronous%20USB
"..type of USB cable will no longer effect sound quality in a significant way."

May 16, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #490 of 1,416
Hi all

I currently have an Anedio D1 and am still trying to decide on whether or not it's worth upgrading to a D2. But I thought I'd chime in with my experiences of using the squeezebox touch.

I'm using the touch with the EDO plugin, and try as I might I can't get it to sound as good as the toslink out of my desktop pc.
The difference is fairly substantial too, the squeezebox sounds thin in comparison. I get a much more 3 dimensional presentation with the pc, and a touch more resolution.
The playback software I'm using on the computer is xxhighend. But i've tried other software as well and I still find the pc sounds better than the squeezebox.

I'm not sure if my pc is just exceptionally well suited for transmitting a digital signal or what it is (I have tried to optimize it where I can) , but the results are definitely there.
The only phones I own are some old LA5000's (I plan on upgrading to some PS1000's soon, but the LA5000's do sound good out of the D1) but I have listened to other higher end phones on my system (alessandro ms pro, HD800 and LA7000) and the differences are just as (if not more) noticeable. I do most of my listening on speakers tho.

I know there's lots of variables involved, Ive tried eliminating some by using different (and the same) digital cables, usb from both my pc and the SBT, using the SBT via ethernet and wirelessly, it hasn't mattered what I've done the SBT doesn't sound as good (and, FWIW, I'm unable to detect the differences in my digital cables. They are all good cables though, and I swear I can hear the difference between a plastic toslink cable and my glass one).
I know most people here are using the D2 with the SBT via USB and I can't comment on that but I have a suspicion that the usb out of my pc will still sound better on the D2 compared to the SBT, as it does with the D1.

I'm relatively new to audio, and I don't profess to understand many of the variables involved in making electronics sound good, or much at all really, just thought I'd share my experiences.
I was hoping to get away from using xxhighend as IMO the interface kind of sucks and I'm pretty fond of being able to control the SBT with my ipad. But the sound is what is most important and, in my experience thus far, xxhighend on the pc bests the SBT significantly.

May 16, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #491 of 1,416
Quote:
Hi all

I currently have an Anedio D1 and am still trying to decide on whether or not it's worth upgrading to a D2. But I thought I'd chime in with my experiences of using the squeezebox touch.

I'm using the touch with the EDO plugin, and try as I might I can't get it to sound as good as the toslink out of my desktop pc.
The difference is fairly substantial too, the squeezebox sounds thin in comparison. I get a much more 3 dimensional presentation with the pc, and a touch more resolution.
The playback software I'm using on the computer is xxhighend. But i've tried other software as well and I still find the pc sounds better than the squeezebox.

I'm not sure if my pc is just exceptionally well suited for transmitting a digital signal or what it is (I have tried to optimize it where I can) , but the results are definitely there.
The only phones I own are some old LA5000's (I plan on upgrading to some PS1000's soon, but the LA5000's do sound good out of the D1) but I have listened to other higher end phones on my system (alessandro ms pro, HD800 and LA7000) and the differences are just as (if not more) noticeable. I do most of my listening on speakers tho.

I know there's lots of variables involved, Ive tried eliminating some by using different (and the same) digital cables, usb from both my pc and the SBT, using the SBT via ethernet and wirelessly, it hasn't mattered what I've done the SBT doesn't sound as good (and, FWIW, I'm unable to detect the differences in my digital cables. They are all good cables though, and I swear I can hear the difference between a plastic toslink cable and my glass one).
I know most people here are using the D2 with the SBT via USB and I can't comment on that but I have a suspicion that the usb out of my pc will still sound better on the D2 compared to the SBT, as it does with the D1.

I'm relatively new to audio, and I don't profess to understand many of the variables involved in making electronics sound good, or much at all really, just thought I'd share my experiences.
I was hoping to get away from using xxhighend as IMO the interface kind of sucks and I'm pretty fond of being able to control the SBT with my ipad. But the sound is what is most important and, in my experience thus far, xxhighend on the pc bests the SBT significantly.

Here's what I'd recommend for optimal results with your SBT:
- SBT connected to wired network (not wireless)
- The D1 does not support Async USB (UAC2), so stick with the S/PDIF inputs... So, you may try: SBT+EDO --> Digital RCA/Toslink --> D1

BTW, EDO will allow up-to 24/192, but for standard 16/44.1 you may also try the SBT without EDO: SBT--> Digital RCA/Toslink --> D1
(You may also apply tweaks on the SBT, like screen OFF while playing)

Good luck.

May 17, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #492 of 1,416
Here's what I'd recommend for optimal results with your SBT:
- SBT connected to wired network (not wireless)
- The D1 does not support Async USB (UAC2), so stick with the S/PDIF inputs... So, you may try: SBT+EDO --> Digital RCA/Toslink --> D1

BTW, EDO will allow up-to 24/192, but for standard 16/44.1 you may also try the SBT without EDO: SBT--> Digital RCA/Toslink --> D1
(You may also apply tweaks on the SBT, like screen OFF while playing)

Good luck.

Are you saying the SBT sounds better wired than wireless? Are you sure?

May 17, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #493 of 1,416
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
Are you saying the SBT sounds better wired than wireless? Are you sure?

What I meant say is that' you'd a get a consistent & reliable connection over the wired network. Whereas with wireless, signal strength would depend on SBT location... So, a wired connection eliminates at least one variable from the trouble-shooting equation.

Having said that, I would not expect wireless to provide better sound than a wired connection; Would you? (at best, I'd expect comparable performance;.but maybe you know something I don't know)... Basically, as I understand it, wireless is a convenience feature (as it allows you to set the SBT where a wired connection may not be available).

Personally, I use a wired connection, and disable the wireless receiver on the Touch (just as I turn OFF the display while playing, and also set/lock volume at 100% on the Touch).

HTH

May 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #495 of 1,416
Thanks Leo. I'll keep fiddling and try some of your suggestions and see what I can come up with.

The Anedio peoples provide a little bit of insight into using the SBT with the D1 on their website. As I understand it, they imply they did in fact expect the SBT to perform better with a wired network connection. But subsequent measurements of the digital signal from the SBT showed very little if any difference between wired and wireless. I have given both a good listen and can't detect any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back