Anedio D2 DAC release
May 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #451 of 1,416
Quote:
Thinking about switching to an Anedio D2. I had a NAD M51 in my possession for about a week, this is a great sounding DAC, but the remote function was broken and the DAC has few buttons... so your kind of screwed... I had 2 remotes and neither would work after the DAC was on for about an hour. Weird. So anyways... they are both being rereleased about the same time, beginning of June. If anyone has any comparisons, it would be of great help... I might go on projects review alone, though he hasn't heard the M51.
Thanks.
M

I'm in the same boat, i've pretty much narrowed it down to the M51 or the D2 based on what i read...I like the extra set of RCAs (in & out) on the D2 though.

May 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #455 of 1,416
Quote:

I did try it, and liked it well enough to keep it! (the D2 that is)... But, I'm still curious about other new DAC's, such as the M51.
(And yes, I'd say my 2-spkr system is "revealing" enough to discern differences between DAC's... LOL). 

How does the headphone amp sound?

May 8, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #456 of 1,416
Maybe some confusion here, the D2 does not have any RCA inputs.

I stand corrected; I did an "images" Google search and one of the first images that came up was a photo of the rear panel showing unbalanced RCA inputs...scrolling down and comparing to other images, it looks like I was looking at the back panel of the Grace m903 DAC...

May 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #457 of 1,416
Project 86,
You may have answered this idk... In your review of the Violectric you had compared it to the Anedio D1 and said they were pretty much equals besides the functionality someone preferred. Does the D2 improve beyond the Violectric in your mind? Thanks in advance!

May 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #459 of 1,416
I may also can answer this question since I have the two side by side.

Both are good DACs. V800 do the best on chip PCM1792A, the THD is very low.
D2 do the best on chip 9018.

9018 is more detail than 1792. So the D2 sounds more clarity than V800.
The D2 build-in is good enougth. It maybe not as good as V200.

The V800 seems built more solid that D2. D2 is not built very solid in my opnion.

V800 sound is 4.5 stars.
D2 sound is 5 stars.

V800 build is 5 stars.
D2 is only 3 stars.

That is my personal opinion. Sorry for pool English.

May 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #460 of 1,416
Very interesting! What about the build don't you like? Is the outside flimsy. Once I have the DAC in place it won't be moving around very much, so Im not sure how much that plays into it, but if you take your gear places..

May 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #461 of 1,416
The incremental cost of adding even a first class heaphone amp to a DAC is low. And it can be useful for late night listening. I do most of my listening over speakers, but the headphone amp on the D2 comes in handy at times. Regards

May 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #462 of 1,416
I am thinking of getting into headphones too, so the kids and wife don't beat me! lol. I went to the NY Audio Show last month, they had Woo Audio stuff, omg, so Gorgeous and the sound was mind blowing. Listened to top of the line Grados (PS1000). And Stax. Woo makes some fine amps.
The Woo amps I heard were the WA22 and WA6-SE

May 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #464 of 1,416
I agree with the above assessment, for the most part. The D1 was just ever so slightly better than the V800 to my ears. It was a very close competition though. The D2 pulls ahead a little farther. V800 is still a killer DAC and not to be dismissed lightly.

Build quality - the Violectric might not look like much in the pics but it is built extremely well. The D2 is adequate and looks nice enough but in comparison feels a little thin and cheap in the metal department. I would probably rate it a 4/5 for build while Violectric gets the full 5/5.

May 9, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #465 of 1,416
To me, D1, D2 looks more like a HiFi instrument,      V800 looks more like an industrial equipment,   Benchmark DAC1 (silver) is somewhere in the middle.
Aesthetically to me D1 is the best, the curve of the front panel is really well done, the logo engraved on the front panel is really nice.  Then D2, the logo is not as nice,  then DAC1,  then V800.
Build quality: D1's front plate and body frame are much thicker than D2, feels like bullet proof.   D2's body frame is thinner, if you push really hard you can feel it deforms.
D2's headphone jack is stronger, it is soldered on the main board.  D1's headphone jack is glued (using heat gun) to the main board, so it may come loose and can rotate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back