android vs. iphone for sound quailty?
Apr 17, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #94 of 135

Quote: cant wait,i think i'll be getting on 1 st may when it launches here in uk.
bigsmile_face.gif
samsung galaxy 2.... this will be cool....

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #95 of 135

Quote:
Wolfson WM8994! Nexus S is also using the same and iirc the LG Optimus 2X and Galaxy S2 also.

If i knew that the LG g2x was coming out really soon i would have honestly skipped the Galaxy S 4g. This phone sucks. The XDA community is tiny and its never going to grow especially with the g2x and htc sensation coming out and we only have one dev who is working with us and he doesn't even own the phone, he is just borrowing it..... I wish there was a way to exchange this phone for the g2x, I have had the galaxy s since feb. so I doubt t-mobile would let me. Off topic but its just a warning for those considering the galaxy s 4g.

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #96 of 135
I stumbled across several interesting facts. First, although the Lg Optimus 2x has the same wolfson chip inside it doesn't have the sound quality of the galaxy s - probably due to not good enough lg's code written for the wolfson codec and the lack of voodoo sound for the phone. So, the galaxy s still has superior sq compared to the lg. Second, supercurio (the developer of the voodoo sound) found out from a prototype that the Samsung galaxy s2 doesn't have the Wolfson WM8994 inside. According to him the galaxy s 2 has Yamaha YMU818B / MC-1N inside and its specs are lower than the wolfson chip in the first galaxy s. Quote: "Galaxy S II's Yamaha codec has lower specs than wolfson WM8994 present in Galaxy S, Galaxy Tab and Nexus S",  "Galaxy S II's Yamaha YMU818B / MC-1N audio codec headphone amplifier volume range is only 30dB compared to 57dB in wolfson WM8994",  "Also, Galaxy S II's headphone amplifier alone is rated to 0.055% / -65dB THD+N, compared to WM8994 DAC+HP amp 0.01% / -80dB THD+N", "Today I'm not optimistic, those are boring specs. My only hope here is that they changed the audio hardware between prototype I dumped infos from. Or that the driver name was misleading". So, for now he hopes that they change the DAC e in the final version of the phone and I sure also hope they change it.

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #97 of 135
I have a Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro. The sound quality is pretty good, but as stated before in this thread, it lacks power and tends to distort when the volume is turned way up. Keep the volume below 3/4 and use an amp and it will do quite nicely. But IMHO that kind of beats the purpose of using a phone as a DAP, I only use my phone to play music when I want to travel light and don't feel like lugging an amp along...

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #98 of 135
I didnt read throught the entire thread history but for what its worth the HTC Desire sound quality was very average. My previous phone was a blackberry which had excellent sound and by comparison the Desire was noisy with tons of interference (via Sleek SA6). My base-line quality wise is a Clip+ and S:Flo2. 

Apr 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #99 of 135
I just tried voodoo sound plus on my galaxy s 4g and all I have to say is WOW. Lets say that because of this, I fell in love with my sennheiser ie6, which I absolutely hated when I had my ipod and when my galaxy s was stock.

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #100 of 135
Yeah, the new voodoo sound plus is just awesome - no more flashing with Odin or CWM. Just buy the app and load the module and it works with all galaxy s ROMs and kernels. I've been using voodoo since October but it evolved so fast. With voodoo sound the galaxy s gets so superior to all android phones and iphones that it should be discussed in another thread. And all that costs a couple of bucks - those are the best two and a half dollars spent in my entire life. 

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #101 of 135
Yeah, the new voodoo sound plus is just awesome - no more flashing with Odin or CWM. Just buy the app and load the module and it works with all galaxy s ROMs and kernels. I've been using voodoo since October but it evolved so fast. With voodoo sound the galaxy s gets so superior to all android phones and iphones that it should be discussed in another thread. And all that costs a couple of bucks - those are the best two and a half dollars spent in my entire life. 

Exactly. I really like how we do not need to flash anything in order to get this to work. The galaxy s 4g still doesn't have any roms but with this I can enjoy voodoo sound without having to wait till roms with voodoo are developed which will take a while from now considering how we just got cwm working today and it is not even 100% working yet.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #103 of 135
I don't know.  I think the Samsung phones, the Galaxy series are said to have pretty good audio hardware and sound (but then their interface and support is terrible, as a smartphone). 

I have a HTC with PowerAmp on it, and while it sounds okay, I wouldn't exactly be excited to spend hours listening to music on it.  Maybe 20-30 minutes...an hour tops, if I'm waiting for something or someone to kill time, that's about the extent of it.  From feedback, it seems most HTC's have subpar to only slightly above average sound quality, in general (there might be a couple that are alright though, so don't throw the book at me)

Love or hate Apple, I'm afraid with Equ and the even the older iPhones, they have most androids and probably most, if not all other smart phones beat when it comes to audio quality as a DAP.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #104 of 135
I don't know.  I think the Samsung phones, the Galaxy series are said to have pretty good audio hardware and sound (but then their interface and support is terrible, as a smartphone). 

I have a HTC with PowerAmp on it, and while it sounds okay, I wouldn't exactly be excited to spend hours listening to music on it.  Maybe 20-30 minutes...an hour tops, if I'm waiting for something or someone to kill time, that's about the extent of it.  From feedback, it seems most HTC's have subpar to only slightly above average sound quality, in general (there might be a couple that are alright though, so don't throw the book at me)

Love or hate Apple, I'm afraid with Equ and the even the older iPhones, they have most androids and probably most, if not all other smart phones beat when it comes to audio quality as a DAP.

Quote:
Btw is there anything similar to this for the iPhone eg from XDA developers ?

Thanks

Been awhile since I've played with iPhones, but they have the iphone dev-team blog and of course Cydia support.  Just google them, should hit right up.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #105 of 135

Quote:

I disagree with you. First, I don't know about the other galaxies but the galaxy s doesn't have pretty good audio hardware and sound - it has awesome audio hardware and sq. Second, their interface isn't terrible - I don't know what you've seen? Yeah, the poweramp isn't particularly beautiful but with voodoo even the stock player sounds awesome - and the stock player isn't the usual stock android player - it is the touchwiz one with coverflow-like animations in landscape and generally looks a lot like the iphone's one. Also, music playerpro has pretty nice interface and very handy and pretty lockscreen misic widget. Oh, and yeah, even the older iphones sound better than most androids but the galaxy s with voodoo blows all aiphones out of the water - just amazing stuff. Now my clip+  collects dust on my desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back