android vs. iphone for sound quailty?
Jun 7, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #121 of 135
I was about to pull the trigger on a SGS2, but didn't... One of my colleagues has one, and I played around with it a bit. It's an awesome phone, but I was seriously disappointed with the SQ. I only had my IE7 with me, but never before I've heard them sound so horrible as when being fed by the SGS2. Muddy bass, veiled mids, I couldn't even make it through 2 full songs (FLAC, played with Andless player).
I must say that other than the Andless player, the phone was completely stock, but from what I've heard so far, it wasn't much of a base for tweaks.

The SGS2 does have HDMI out (via a converter plug) maybe a line-out can be taken from that. Maybe SQ will be better that way...

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #122 of 135

Quote:
I was about to pull the trigger on a SGS2, but didn't... One of my colleagues has one, and I played around with it a bit. It's an awesome phone, but I was seriously disappointed with the SQ. I only had my IE7 with me, but never before I've heard them sound so horrible as when being fed by the SGS2. Muddy bass, veiled mids, I couldn't even make it through 2 full songs (FLAC, played with Andless player).
I must say that other than the Andless player, the phone was completely stock, but from what I've heard so far, it wasn't much of a base for tweaks.

The SGS2 does have HDMI out (via a converter plug) maybe a line-out can be taken from that. Maybe SQ will be better that way...

Yeah, supercurio (the developer of voodoo sound for SGS) also said that. Apparently not only the yamaha audio chip in SGS2 has worse specs than the wolfson one in the first SGS but also it's sound is worse than its specs. So, SGS2 had badly written drivers and the audio chip itself is like defective or defectively designed and its SQ is Very bad. That's why I decided to stick to my SGS and not upgrade to SGS2 coz I mainly use it as a DAP.

Nov 11, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #125 of 135
Sensation XE:

I've been listening to this fairly intensely the last few day using my IE7's and using poweramp in stock form.
Sounds wonderful to be honest. It's different to my old 3GS (which I loved).
The attack, seperstion and musicallity of the output is way better than the 3gs. I find the imaging of the instruments to be superb, bass is deep without being overpowering and you can really hear the zing from strings. In particular I'm noticing stuff on old albums I never heard before ie:
Fish talking at the end of warm wet circles
Fireworks noises interlaced with Gilmores on an island
And I've listened to these albums repeatedly.

Lovely tbf. Different. But lovely.

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #126 of 135
I have an iPhone 4 and an HTC Thunderbolt (was going to develop an app but didn't have the time) and the HTC is far better - richer, better low end, cleaner, the usual things we want as audiophiles. The iPhone 4 sounds anemic in comparison; it's still clean but the bottom end is just lame. This is with WAV on iPhone and Flac on Android.

My cans are the new Sennheiser PX-100 II (awesome cans), well broken in.

I understand the iPhone 4S uses a lower power DAC and sounds even worse. Sad.

Edit: My audio player is Power Amp.

Er, anyone want to be buy a lightly used iPhone 4? :wink:

Dave

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #127 of 135
I just wonder... are there any site that have info about the build-in DAC in every smartphones out there?  :-/
right now I only know 'bout those samsung galaxy has used Wolfson WM8994E or something like that and it means GOOD :D

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #128 of 135
I currently own the LG optimus one, which is a pretty cheap phone, but the sound quality is pretty good. Also, I've been using Power Amp as my music player and I like it. Anyone uses this music player too?

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #130 of 135
Well, frankly it's not only what DAC the phone has but how the software for it has been written. For instance, LG 2X has wolfson inside but sounds worse than SGS and apparently it's hard for supercurio to make it sound better. Also, Galaxy Note has the same yamaha DAC like Galaxy S2 but sounds better. I didn't like Sensation XE coz Beats Autio colors the music too musch for my taste but some may like it. I'm a lot into Android phones not only for the sq but I'm just an android geek and try everything new that comes out and still think that Galaxy S with voodoo and neutron music player is the best combo for sq.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #131 of 135

Quote:
Well, frankly it's not only what DAC the phone has but how the software for it has been written. For instance, LG 2X has wolfson inside but sounds worse than SGS and apparently it's hard for supercurio to make it sound better. Also, Galaxy Note has the same yamaha DAC like Galaxy S2 but sounds better. I didn't like Sensation XE coz Beats Autio colors the music too musch for my taste but some may like it. I'm a lot into Android phones not only for the sq but I'm just an android geek and try everything new that comes out and still think that Galaxy S with voodoo and neutron music player is the best combo for sq.

Have u tried this LG 2X voodoo supported kernel?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1200726

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #132 of 135
Hi, anyone tried the new Samsung Galaxy Note yet? How is the sound quality? Thinking of changing my iphone 4 to that.

Not as good as the IP4, but outside of the iPhones the Galaxy Note along with the LG2x are the best I've seen perform in benchmarks without the need of Voodoo. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #133 of 135

Quote:
Not as good as the IP4, but outside of the iPhones the Galaxy Note along with the LG2x are the best I've seen perform in benchmarks without the need of Voodoo. 

LG 2x has the same chip as SGS, so it is not surprising. Galaxy Note uses Yamaha C1YMU823 / MC-1N2, so I am not sure why it can be any good.

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #134 of 135
DAC used isn't as important as implementation. It is not as simply as just knowing the brand of a DAC, the newer Cirrus Apple Products perform far better than the older Wolfson based ones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back