android vs. iphone for sound quailty?
Nov 20, 2010 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 135

Wh0l3

New Head-Fier
I recently found out that flac support has been added to iphone from zodttd and was interested in the iphone for the first time.

But because of its high price tag i've also been looking at android phones but can seem to find much on their sound quality (they apparently can play flac now too)

can anyone reccomend an android phone with good sound quality or should i just go for an iphone 3gs?

Thanks

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 135
I just ordered the myTouch 4G for me & the Mrs, so I'll see how good the SQ is when it arrives. My Droid 2's SQ is just decent tho,...shallow and thin. Even w/powerAMP installed it's still "meh" Plus, the 15 step volume adjustment sux, not precise enough. I'll see if the myTouch 4G remedies this issue.

Personally, I'm seeing the iPod touch as the superior sounding & performing phone, and this is from being a user of Android AND having half of my coworkers using both types of devices. This allows me to (mostly) try everything out for testing purposes, and to see what I might buy in the future.

I will add that the Droid X is a BEAST!!! Video and gameplay on it rock!!! Audio, still "meh" tho.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 135
I bought my daughter an android phone(htc aria) and it's not even close to my iphone 4. It's not even close to my wife's iphone 3g. It's listenable, but that's about it.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 135
Well, I have Samsung Galaxy S and I find it little better sounding than the Iphone 4 - or at least as good. Of course, htc aria sounds bad all htcs sound bad and it's not very fair to compare a low-end android phone to iphone with regard to any kind of quality comparison.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 135
The Galaxy S phones have better sound quality and an EQ onboard, and I've heard they do sound fantastic. But, as a whole, Android really need to catch up to iOS 4 to equal the ease of use, as well as the battery life of an iPhone. I mean, they're close, but Android phones need a REAL unified media player app and better batt life.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 135
i have the samsung galaxy S and my brothers iphone 4, the samsung wins by far .. iphone sq is just disappointing

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 135
Well, I agree the samsung souds fantastic but not for the latter. Android is easy to use - it is just not as plain and simple as ios. Iphone is easy to use coz there is nothing to "complicate" it like homescreens, widgets, customization options of any usable kind - just icons of apps, few menus and app store - of course it is easy. And blmy SGS battery time is way better than whar I was expiriencing before with ipone 3gs - just most android users don't close the apps they used and end up with 20+ apps running in the background which is quite a battery drainer. Sorry for the huge offtopicofftopic

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 135

Quote:
Well, I have Samsung Galaxy S and I find it little better sounding than the Iphone 4 - or at least as good. Of course, htc aria sounds bad all htcs sound bad and it's not very fair to compare a low-end android phone to iphone with regard to any kind of quality comparison.

Of course it's fair. The op didn't limit his/hers question to the galaxy or any other android device. The op asked about android phones in general and since the aria is an android phone, my response was valid. Maybe the op should have asked about an android phone in particular since there are many different types and all of them probably sounds different.

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #10 of 135
my HTC incredible sounds very good. especially after rooting it and performing some hacks.

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 135
Damn!!! No employee discount for me w/T-Mobile!!! I had to cancel the myTouch 4G's,...what a BUMMER!!!

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 135
i think im gonna go with an unlocked and jailbroken iphone, seems better and easier to get than an incredible.

Thanks guys.

if anyone has one of these for sale let me know (32gb iphone 3gs)

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 135
i installed the DSP Manager app and i took the audio drivers from the Desire HD and put them into my phone. the desire HD audio drivers sound much better and are a little bit louder.

it sounds great with my Brainwavz M2's. all my other headphones need an additional amp to get to acceptable levels. i will be using it with a PA2V2 and Sennheiser HD650's until i get an amp that has a DAC.

Quote:
Ditto on the incredible I'm very happy with the way it sounds. I've rooted mine as well - what "hacks" have you done?

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 135
I don't like the HTC Desire sound too, listenable but not as good as sansa clip. How I wish I dont have to carry a phone and mp3.
@jasonb, what is dsp manager thingy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back