Android phones and USB DACs
Jul 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #2,582 of 9,526
Sony Xperia Z & iBasso Audio D zero-SE USB DAC/amp:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.383702481730653.1073741826.153876568046580&type=3l

Xperia Z > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable provided by the USB DAC/amp maker >> iBasso Audio D zero-SE >> headphones

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #2,583 of 9,526
Quote:
I would love to use USB Audio on the Nexus 10 such that I can use it when it is playing music from google play music, or locally through the stock music player (or another good android music player), NOT through USB Audio Recorder Pro.

I have a Nexus 10 and a Verizon Note 2, both stock unrooted, and it's frustrating because the only way I can enjoy USB Audio on those is with USB Audio Recorder Pro.  I have two USB DACs, Hifimediy Sabre and Fiio E07k.

Since my Verizon Note 2 is from work, that leaves my Nexus 10 which I could root, unlock, and load a recovery and a ROM (well I have a touchpad with 4.2.2 rom, but I can't even get the device to recognize that a USB audio device is plugged in, but I really want this on my Nexus 10). Is there a ROM right now (or a kernel that I use with the stock ROM) that has full support of USB Audio so any DAC I plug in via USB (With USB OTG cable, of course) will work for any audio coming from the Nexus 10, not just using that USB Audio Recorder Pro app?

Thanks!

Anybody here have a Nexus 10 and/or Verizon Note 2 in the US?  Really would love to use my Fiio E07k and/or Hifimediy Sabre DAC with either of these without having to use the USB Audio Recorder Pro app.

Or just anyone with a Nexus 10 or Verizon Note 2, what are your experiences with DACs?  My experience with xda site is that those people who have these devices don't care about using DACs (or are happy with USB Audio Recorder Pro).

Thanks!!!

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #2,584 of 9,526
Another USB Audio "soft driver" for Android:
http://winaudiomls.de/joomla/index.php/en/shop/product/view/15/127

"Many android based smartphones and tablets have an integrated USB-host interface. They support e.g. mass storage device, keyboard, mouse 3G surfsticks but NO audio devices.

The android OS supports audio but not external USB audio devices.

Today, there are many USB audio devices offering a rich feature set and high-end audio quality. In addition, there are many Audio apps. But none of them can access external devices, because there exist no API.

We developed a low level API, which allows app developer to support USB devices.

Features
    supports USB audio class compliant devices 
    synchronous input and output
    low latency
    2 channels input and output
    up to 24bit 192khz

Requirements
    Android >3.2
    no root access required
    USB host interface

We offer a basic demo app, demonstrating the basic features. You can check the compatibility with your platform.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.sobe.usbaudio
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.sobe.usbaudioroot

These Apps are designed as technical demonstration.

License
We offer a commercial license either binary as a library or full source code.

Prices
The full source code cost 2000 Euro /one time/ unlimited use except reselling or sub-licensing"

The USB Audio function of USB Audio Recorder PRO is the other USB Audio "soft driver" for Android.
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

"We are also NOT affiliated with a program called 'USB Audio Recorder', 'USB Audio Tester' or 'USB Field Recorder' on the Play Store!"

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #2,586 of 9,526
2000 Euros for the USB audio drivers?? Holy #$%. I'm hoping maybe the tester app itself works... Will try and report back findings. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #2,587 of 9,526
Hi everybody. I have just bought an external DAC with amp (amp is supplied by external AC adapter) that is connected via USB OTG to a Samsung Galaxy S3. Because the DAC is USB-powered I could see my battery on the Galaxy drain fast when listening to music @ work.

Because of that, and because the DAC requires 150 mA and the Galaxy only can output 100 mA, I decided to buy a USB hub…A Belkin 4 ports with external 5 V supply.

However, when I connect the Galaxy to the DAC via the USB hub, there is music out of the DAC/amp even if I do not connect the power cable to the USB hub!!

It seems that the 5 V supply of the USB hub is just connected in parallel with the 5 V supply from the Galaxy. As the DAC function as load to the 5 V supply, the current supplied by the Galaxy and the USB hub, respectively, will depend on the impedances of the cables according to current division.

I would like the USB hub to supply all power to the DAC. I have read a number of DIY USB hub guides saying that the 5 V pin on the USB cable between the Galaxy and the USB hub should be disconnected, to force the DAC only to be powered from the hub. I have tried that, but then the Galaxy does not recognize the DAC and simply plays music out of the internal speakers.

Have anybody experienced the same phenomenon? I don’t know why the Galaxy has to be connected to the 5 V of the DAC to recognize the connection.

Will the solution perhaps be a series resistance of e.g. 1k Ohms connected in the 5 V wire between the Galaxy and the USB hub?

My setup is a mess of different USB cables, as I do not have all the prober cables yet, but it should not matter. It is as following:
Samsung S3 USB audio > USB OTG micro-b to USB A female > USB A male to USB mini-b > Belkin USB hub > USB A male to USB mini-B > DAC

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #2,589 of 9,526
we are developing an e18 for android phone, but after samsung released S4, we found there are one interesting thing that our E17 can supported android 4.2 but can't supported 4.1 .

at the same time, our E07k can supported 4.1 but not 4.2. I am wondering anyone have the same problem? or known what is the difference between 4.2 and 4.1 in the usb driver

in the phone.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #2,590 of 9,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJunker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would like the USB hub to supply all power to the DAC.

Another way: the Accessory Charger Adapter way.

An Accessory Charger Adapter (ACA)-compliant Android device operating as a USB host is also able to charge at the same time.
It draws power from an external battery, or from an ACA-compliant USB DAC.

ACA is described in the USB Battery Charging 1.2 specification.
The ACA software program is present in the Linux kernel source code of the Samsung Galaxy S3.
https://github.com/sgs3/GT-I9300_Kernel/blob/master/arch/arm/mach-exynos/p10-battery.c#L248

A USB OTG device is configured to USB host mode supplying or drawing power, or USB peripheral mode by ACA/OTG software/hardware measuring the value of the ID resistance of the USB interface.

According to the value of the ID resistance
. the Android device should act as a USB host, interwork with the USB DAC acting as a USB peripheral, and supply power to the bus-powered USB DAC
. the Android device should act as a standalone USB peripheral, and draw power from an external battery
. the Android device should act as a USB peripheral, interwork with a USB host, and draw power from an external power source

. the Android device should act as a USB host, interwork with the USB DAC acting as a USB peripheral, and draw power from an external battery or another external power supply.

Quote:
The cable is not ACA compliant. Samsung uses different resistor values (amongst others) than what is specified in the ACA standards.

Quote:
It works!!

Received my new soldering station yesterday, and tonight built me a crude but real world usable OTG + charging cable. In addition to the micro usb-b for the S3 and the mini usb-b for a DAC, it has an additional usb-a connector to hook up to an external usb powersource.

This will allow me to play music via external DAC & use satnav while driving my car without draining my phone battery (the music isnt much of a drain, but satnav with the screen at a useful brightness level...)

Once I find some connectors that I like enough I'll make a nicer finished one, or a few, or maybe a few more and sell some...

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #2,591 of 9,526
Quote:
we are developing an e18 for android phone, but after samsung released S4, we found there are one interesting thing that our E17 can supported android 4.2 but can't supported 4.1 .

at the same time, our E07k can supported 4.1 but not 4.2. I am wondering anyone have the same problem? or known what is the difference between 4.2 and 4.1 in the usb driver

in the phone.

I have an E07K that I use with Android 4.2.2 no problem. It works just fine.

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,592 of 9,526
Quote:

Interesting!

As far as I understand, the FiiO E17 compliancy is as follows:

Samsung Galaxy S3’s native USB Audio ≤ 4.1: no
Samsung Galaxy S3’s native USB Audio 4.2: yes
Samsung Galaxy S4’s native USB Audio (4.2): yes

Other flagship phones
Sony Xperia Z’s native USB Audio: yes
HTC One’s native USB Audio: yes
LG Optimus PRO’s native USB Audio: yes

Another USB Audio: USB Audio Recorder PRO
4.1 / 4.2-powered Samsung Galaxy S3’s USB Audio Recorder PRO: yes
Samsung Galaxy S4’s USB Audio Recorder PRO: yes
Sony Xperia Z’s USB Audio Recorder PRO: yes
HTC One’s USB Audio Recorder PRO: yes
LG Optimus PRO’s USB Audio Recorder PRO: yes

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #2,593 of 9,526
Quote:

Another way: the Accessory Charger Adapter way.

An Accessory Charger Adapter (ACA)-compliant Android device operating as a USB host is also able to charge at the same time.
It draws power from an external battery, or from an ACA-compliant USB DAC.

ACA is described in the USB Battery Charging 1.2 specification.
The ACA software program is present in the Linux kernel source code of the Samsung Galaxy S3.
https://github.com/sgs3/GT-I9300_Kernel/blob/master/arch/arm/mach-exynos/p10-battery.c#L248

A USB OTG device is configured to USB host mode supplying or drawing power, or USB peripheral mode by ACA/OTG software/hardware measuring the value of the ID resistance of the USB interface.

According to the value of the ID resistance
. the Android device should act as a USB host, interwork with the USB DAC acting as a USB peripheral, and supply power to the bus-powered USB DAC
. the Android device should act as a standalone USB peripheral, and draw power from an external battery
. the Android device should act as a USB peripheral, interwork with a USB host, and draw power from an external power source

. the Android device should act as a USB host, interwork with the USB DAC acting as a USB peripheral, and draw power from an external battery or another external power supply.

Aha thanks! That looks like the solution. Incredible that Samsung and other Android manufacturers don't provide the cable with built-in resistor etc.

It then seems that I dont have to change anything in the hub (that when powered must function as the battery in your figure) but instead have to cut up the micro-b OTG connector at the Samsung end of the cable line, and then solder a resistor between ID and GND (gonna be an ugly solution :) ). What should the resistor value be?

I have read somewhere that some charge applications require a resistor (think it was around 64k) between the GND and Vbus..or has it been for another application?

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #2,595 of 9,526
Quote:

Interesting!

As far as I understand, the FiiO E17 compliancy is as follows:

Samsung Galaxy S3’s native USB Audio ≤ 4.1: no
Samsung Galaxy S3’s native USB Audio 4.2: yes
Samsung Galaxy S4’s native USB Audio (4.2): yes

Other flagship phones
Sony Xperia Z’s native USB Audio: yes
HTC One’s native USB Audio: yes
LG Optimus PRO’s native USB Audio: yes

Another USB Audio: USB Audio Recorder PRO
4.1 / 4.2-powered Samsung Galaxy S3’s USB Audio Recorder PRO: yes
Samsung Galaxy S4’s USB Audio Recorder PRO: yes
Sony Xperia Z’s USB Audio Recorder PRO: yes
HTC One’s USB Audio Recorder PRO: yes
LG Optimus PRO’s USB Audio Recorder PRO: yes

Hi DanBA,

You have probably seen my posts right?
Why not mention also the Nexus 4 (4.2.2)?
I think its also a flaghip the very much flag bearer for ANDROID as for the time being IMHO.

Regards,

Jes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back