Android phones and USB DACs
Jun 12, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #2,507 of 9,526
Quote:
Any ideas? I have never tried using a USB DAC on a phone, so I am not sure if it works it should be "plug and play". I assume if it were going to work, I just connect the DAC via USB and the phone should start using it for sound output. Is there anything in Android that I have to do to enable the DAC?

(I have been able to get the D7 to work with my iPad, but that doesn't really mean anything.)

Thanks,

-Darin

If it works with the iPad then there is hope. If you want, I can have a look what the issue is.
Please start USB Audio Recorder PRO, go to the Prefs tab, select Logging and then Log to file. Exit the app. Go into Android settings, Apps, select USB Audio Recorder PRO and Force Close the app. Start USB Audio Recorder PRO again and take note of what it says exactly. Let me know what it said and please email me the log file called USBAudioLog.txt in the root of your sdcard. Please email to info AT audio-evolution.com.

Also note if your DAC gets powered up when connecting. Is there a light or something that should be active when you connect it (without audio data)? You could check when connecting to your PC for example.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #2,510 of 9,526
Yeah I figured it wouldn't work, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I tried USB Audio Recorder Pro and that did not work either.

I guess I will have to buy a different USB DAC. Any recommendations for something that will work plug and play with a Galaxy S4?

The fiio E17 works for me.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #2,512 of 9,526
Quad core Rockchip RK3188-based Android Mini PC Tronsmart MK908 & USB audio:
http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2013/05/27/tronsmart-mk908-android-4-2-beta-firmware-release/#.Ubm6-Zz_J8E
http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/04/04/quad-cores-soc-comparison-rockchip-rk3188-vs-exynos-4412-vs-tegra-3/
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/321029328458?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=42118398&postcount=33

Tronsmart MK908 > digital USB audio out >> C-Media CM6911 chipset-based sound card 3D Sound

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #2,514 of 9,526
Quote:

If it works with the iPad then there is hope. If you want, I can have a look what the issue is.
Please start USB Audio Recorder PRO, go to the Prefs tab, select Logging and then Log to file. Exit the app. Go into Android settings, Apps, select USB Audio Recorder PRO and Force Close the app. Start USB Audio Recorder PRO again and take note of what it says exactly. Let me know what it said and please email me the log file called USBAudioLog.txt in the root of your sdcard. Please email to info AT audio-evolution.com.

Also note if your DAC gets powered up when connecting. Is there a light or something that should be active when you connect it (without audio data)? You could check when connecting to your PC for example.

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I think that my USB OTG cable was not working. I could not get any USB device to work. I tried a mouse, keyboard, flash drive, hard drive, etc. Nothing was even recognized by my phone.

So I have returned the cable and will buy a different one. Once I get that, I will report back and get the debugging info.

BTW, my DAC does have a red LED light that turns on when it gets power. The red light was on when I plugged in external USB power into the OTG adapter. There is a white LED which lights up when the DAC is receiving data. That light never lit.

Thanks again.

-Darin

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #2,515 of 9,526
MK808 Android mini PC & ES9023-based HifiMeDiy Sabre Tiny USB DAC:
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=107

"Finally got my SABRE usb dac working with my android tv stick. Now i can play music from my upnp server on the stick, controlled from my phone. An upgrade to android 4.2.2 was necessary before android could use the dac. All open standards, no airplay involved."
https://plus.google.com/u/0/102908561536765772613/posts/95BmWzU7J5H

"The firmware has an eHome Media Center app installed by default, wich act as a upnp media rendere, that can stream from a upnp source like twonkey, and controlled by another phone with upnpPlay
The mk808 has really poor wifi performance, therefore i'll advise using a cheap usb lan. i connected the usb dac through a otg port i think.don't know if it's necessary."
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1393599/enable-usb-audio-on-any-android-4-0-smartphone-tablet/150#post_23430609

music files stored on UPnP TwonkyMedia server >> LAN >> MK808 Android mini PC: native eHome Media Center app / UPnP media renderer > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable adapter >> HifiMeDiy Sabre Tiny

The UPnP system is controlled by the UPnPlay UPnP controller running on an Android phone.

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #2,516 of 9,526
Quote:
Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I think that my USB OTG cable was not working. I could not get any USB device to work. I tried a mouse, keyboard, flash drive, hard drive, etc. Nothing was even recognized by my phone.

So I have returned the cable and will buy a different one. Once I get that, I will report back and get the debugging info.

BTW, my DAC does have a red LED light that turns on when it gets power. The red light was on when I plugged in external USB power into the OTG adapter. There is a white LED which lights up when the DAC is receiving data. That light never lit.

Thanks again.

-Darin

Thanks for reporting the Galaxy S4 - iBasso D7 interworking issue to the developer of USB Audio Recorder PRO!

As USB Audio Recorder PRO allows a lot of Android devices to interwork with a lot of USB DAC(s), USB Audio Recorder PRO should become the de-facto reference implementation of Android USB Audio, so that USB DAC makers and Android device manufacturers could use it for testing purposes.

Actually each Android device manufacturer implements its own USB Audio support. They don’t have the same interpretation of some USB specification parts.
http://developer.samsung.com/forum/board/thread/view.do?boardName=GeneralB&messageId=227582&startId=zzzzz~
http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/andraudio/2013-May/000833.html

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #2,517 of 9,526
Hey guys, and DanBa, just reporting that the iBasso D42 Mamba now needs USB-ARP to work. When they updated the D42 they redesigned the DAC implementation, and I guess in doing so they now require the U-ARP to straighten things out. Without it everything is on fast forward and doesn't work :frowning2:

I can, however, report that with U-ARP it sounds remarkably well, with a PITCH BLACK background. I was really impressed with the sound, I just wish they hadn't made it mandatory. It's a Godsend, but I'd prefer if it could be implemented as background support soon, like eXtream said he wanted to, and then use GoneMAD(or whatever your player of choice is) as the front end/UI  :)

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #2,518 of 9,526
Hey everyone, newbie reporting in. 

Just wanna get things started by thanking NZtechfreak and DanBa for all the invaluable knowledge and research they've put into this topic, and also everyone else who has contributed. I'm still very new to this scene, but have been lurking for a little while and have learnt so much from all of you. Your time and efforts are very much appreciated.

My first purchase was a pair of Westone 4Rs, then quickly purchased an iBasso D-zero after discovering the world of DACs and amps. I've been using this setup with my Galaxy S3 for the last couple of months and I must say, for its size and price, I feel the D-Zero is a really good entry level DAC/amp and has definitely served its purpose so far.

Unfortunately, I fear that this "audio bug" has bitten, and am not only now looking to upgrade my D-zero, but I've just purchased some Viper cables by Toxic Cables from a fellow Head-Fier. The DAC/amp combos I am currently looking at are the Leckerton UHA-6S MK2 and the XM6 by Practical Devices, but my questions for now will be focused on the XM6 and its functionality with the S3.

First of all, is there any detectable background noise or hissing when connected via the USB to the S3 with no playback? I have noticed with my D-Zero there is always a slight hiss when connected via USB to the S3 at around 50% volume and above, even when no music is being played, and at maybe 20% volume and above with the gain switch on. For some reason it's even louder when connected to my laptop through USB. Not quite sure why this is or even if this is normal.

Secondly, does the track skipping/pausing dial on the XM6 function with any Android music player? Particularly interested in Poweramp and Neutron Player.

And lastly, would a DAC/Amp benefit from a more expensive copper/silver OTG cable, or should I say, would there be a substantial difference in terms of sound quality? There is one made by Forza Audioworks which I currently have my sights on too!

Once again, thanks to everyone here and I look forward to posting more in the future.

atsmile.gif

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #2,519 of 9,526
Welcome to Head-Fi, stefzulj! Sorry about your wallet! 
size]

I haven't heard the XM6, so I can't be any help there. However, in using the D-Zero with the S3, I've never had any issues with hiss-- maybe the 4R is more sensitive than my IEMs? (I tend to use the Sennheiser IE8i and Fischer DBA-02 Mk.II most often). I can also confirm an utter absence of hiss with the UHA-6S Mk.II, which I find to be a pretty stellar performer thus far (haven't had it long). And as far as cables go, I have found them to make only a minute difference thus far on my desktop rig, and never felt the costs would be justified in a portable setup personally. Obviously, others have a different opinion, so take that with a heaping hunk of sodium chloride. 

Anyway, hope this helps!

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,520 of 9,526
Quote:
Hey guys, and DanBa, just reporting that the iBasso D42 Mamba now needs USB-ARP to work. When they updated the D42 they redesigned the DAC implementation, and I guess in doing so they now require the U-ARP to straighten things out. Without it everything is on fast forward and doesn't work :frowning2:

I can, however, report that with U-ARP it sounds remarkably well, with a PITCH BLACK background. I was really impressed with the sound, I just wish they hadn't made it mandatory. It's a Godsend, but I'd prefer if it could be implemented as background support soon, like eXtream said he wanted to, and then use GoneMAD(or whatever your player of choice is) as the front end/UI  :)

Thanks!
The compatibility list has been accordingly modified.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2460

I had the following info from iBasso:
[size=9.5pt]"The D42 works with the S3 via OTG cable, both with or without the USB Audio Recorder APP."[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back