Android phones and USB DACs
Jun 9, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #2,476 of 9,526
"FANTASTIC NEWS"

Just updated my ASUS TF700 to the latest official "system update" (Well it updated itself!), and now my glacier works directly without the use of "USB Audio PRO".

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #2,477 of 9,526
Quote:
"FANTASTIC NEWS"

Just updated my ASUS TF700 to the latest official "system update" (Well it updated itself!), and now my glacier works directly without the use of "USB Audio PRO".

Calm down with the caps. Custom ROMs for the Transformer Infinity/Prime/TF300T have had native support for USB DACs for a while. You're a little late to the party.

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #2,478 of 9,526
Quote:

Calm down with the caps. Custom ROMs for the Transformer Infinity/Prime/TF300T have had native support for USB DACs for a while. You're a little late to the party.

Thank you, I knew that, just wanted to share with people who prefer to stay with the "Official" build ROMs.
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #2,479 of 9,526
Quote:

Yeah, that was a little lame, man. The guy was happy and let us know it now has official support. If you take into account custom ROMs, kernels, and hacks then you could pretty much void that list that we all find so useful for indicating stock support or stock+USB-ARP for our DACs. 

And good to hear, Turok, it'll be nice to not have to use USB-ARP anymore. Now you'll get more functionality out of the device and your Glacier :)

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #2,481 of 9,526
Perfect! Thanks a million!

From what I understand, USB Audio Recorder Pro app allows higher quality recordings to be played in their true hi-res quality because it bypasses a 16-bit/48kHz limitation in Android kernel.  (The DX100 also does that with the iBasso software.)  All other apps downsample to 16/48 before passing the signal to the external DAC like the Apex Glacier. 

Besides that, I also find the app to output very natural sound.  So I used the app quite a bit when I am in the mood for the best quality.  

I am wondering what is the implementation concept behind.
A somewhat "source direct" like the audiophile Audirvana music player for the Mac OS X operating system?
[size=11.0pt]http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/large_image/MAC%20OSX%20audio%20players%20&%20Integer%20Mode.pdf[/size]

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2,482 of 9,526
Quote:

I don't get this, I thought the S4 was a no-go with the USB-dac mode? Like there have been 4 or 5 people confirming it didn't work. Does this mean as long as we've got an iBasso OTG and one of the many usb dac/amps that we'll be good? This didn't require USB-ARP, right?

It's just plug and play. I really don't know why people would be saying it doesn't work. It definitely works with the S4 and E17. The android music player I use is called Mixzing. No tricks or audio recorder pro involved. I'm not rooted or anything, it just works. I don't think I'll be using the E17 with my S4 all that much though since the S4 sounds great with my GR01's alone and it's just simply much more portable. The option is always there though.

This seriously makes this device better for me than the iPhone 4 it replaced. I was already excited about the S4, but now that I know USB audio out works I'm extremely pleased. I had been using my iPhone 4 with my GR01's, and also with an analog out LOD to the E17 when using my T50rp. The ability to still use my E17 and my T50rp with the S4 is great, technically it's even better than using the iPhone since this is digital out. Android has come a long way in the last 2 years since I had ditched them for an iPhone 4. I'm glad I'm back with an Android though.  

*** I'm not saying the S4 and this OTG cable will work with all DAC's though. The only DAC I have is the E17. I have read that some DAC's don't work at all with the S4, and I've read that some require the audio recorder pro app to work. In my case, this just works and I'm extremely happy about it. Otherwise I'd be sad that I left the iPhone for a device that wouldn't work with my E17. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #2,483 of 9,526
Quote:
Perfect! Thanks a million!

I am wondering what is the implementation concept behind.
A somewhat "source direct" like the audiophile Audirvana music player for the Mac OS X operating system?
[size=11.0pt]http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/large_image/MAC%20OSX%20audio%20players%20&%20Integer%20Mode.pdf[/size]

I am happy that the latest update for "USB Audio Pro" brought us shuffle.

I quite agree that I do find it the best "true" sounding player, even surprises me when comparing it to JRiver (SQ wise)

eXtream...keep them coming man.

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #2,484 of 9,526
The secret of USB Audio Recorder PRO: "source direct" like the audiophile Audirvana player for Mac OS X?
http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/dp777_tech-papers_OSX-Integermode.html

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #2,485 of 9,526
Quote:
The secret of USB Audio Recorder PRO: "source direct" like the audiophile Audirvana player for Mac OS X?

Although I love rumours and secrets, I'm going to disappoint you in saying that everything gets converted to floating point and back again in UARP, basically because it uses the audio engine of Audio Evolution. But perhaps there is a secret sauce...
wink.gif

By the way, anyone who gets the 'freeze on start-up of UARP 1.2.1', please contact me by email.

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #2,487 of 9,526
Hey guys

I got an iBasso D-Zero with a Galaxy S3. and I am wondering... how do I activate my amp? I thought it would be a plug-and-play.

Thanks!

Jun 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #2,489 of 9,526
YAY for Android for supporting usb audio out! Unlike stupid Apple which only allows certain manufacturers to make ridiculously expensive products that do it. Stupid Apple and their proprietary MFI licensing crap. 

I'm so glad being back with Android.

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #2,490 of 9,526
Quote:
Hey guys

I got an iBasso D-Zero with a Galaxy S3. and I am wondering... how do I activate my amp? I thought it would be a plug-and-play.

Thanks!

I have an S3 and a D-Zero, and in my case it is plug 'n play. What happens when you plug it in? (Silly question: are you certain that you're using a USB OTG cable? If not, it won't work). Lemme know and we'll see if we can get you up and a-runnin'. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back