Android phones and USB DACs
May 25, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #2,356 of 9,526
Quote:

Which DAC are you using and which media player are you using?

iBasso D-Zero and Neutron Music Player (i've tried it with multiple). 
USB Audio worked fine on stock and Samsung based roms, but I'd really like to have this awesome rom as well as USB audio.

May 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #2,357 of 9,526
Quote:
iBasso D-Zero and Neutron Music Player (i've tried it with multiple). 
USB Audio worked fine on stock and Samsung based roms, but I'd really like to have this awesome rom as well as USB audio.

It's strange that it doesn't work for you. I use Spotify and my FiiO E07K and it works just fine. Maybe it has something to do with your different DAC. I haven't tried it with anything but my E07K so I can't be sure. I have an idea. Go to this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2029728

and download the usb-audio-patcher-1.1.zip file. Extract the file from the zip folder and connect your phone to your computer. Make sure USB debugging is enabled before you connect it. Once you have it connected, run the usb patcher exe. Follow all the steps in the command line window that pops up. When it's finished the patcher will restart your phone. Once it's finished restarting disconnect it from your computer and try using your DAC again. 

EDIT: Which version of the ROM did you download?

May 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #2,358 of 9,526
@Tman5293: from a cursory examination of the link you posted, it seems that application is trying to do essentially the same thing we're using USB Audio Recorder Pro for-- hooking an external USB DAC into an Android device. Any idea how it stacks up to eXtream's application? 

May 26, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #2,359 of 9,526
Quote:
@Tman5293: from a cursory examination of the link you posted, it seems that application is trying to do essentially the same thing we're using USB Audio Recorder Pro for-- hooking an external USB DAC into an Android device. Any idea how it stacks up to eXtream's application? 

It's not the same. USB Audio Recorder Pro is using a proprietary USB driver that only works within the application. The patching program that I posted attempts to install the drivers necessary for USB audio output into the Android core system and therefore enable USB audio output from any application. However, that patcher is old and was intended for use with Android 4.2.1 devices. It seems that it rarely works on Android 4.2.2. However, the developer has just stated that he has a new version of the patcher coming out that is meant for use with 4.2.2 devices. He's currently working on making it compatible with as many devices and ROMs as possible. 

May 26, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #2,360 of 9,526
Quote:
FYI folks: major update to USB Audio Recorder Pro today - says it fixes the Headstreamer and *should* or *may* fix many other DACs that were previously not working.

A typo: HeadStreamer => microStreamer

The fix is done, probably due to the actions of BriX who sent to the USB Audio Recorder PRO developer team the debug log and the HRT microStreamer USB descriptors.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2085#post_9338612

The HRT microStreamer is well-praised:

"Purchased both HeadStreamer and MicroStreamer, returned one and kept the other (Micro)."
http://www.head-fi.org/t/647693/sonic-satori-hrt-levels-the-field-with-the-microstreamer/15#post_9161143

"I need to say this: driving my Audeze LCD3's with the microStreamer (not the easiest headphones to drive well enough to truly show their magic) had me talking to myself when I first heard the magnificent combination! My wifey would hear me saying things like, "this can't be ******* happening," and "this is unreal". Sorry for the vulgarities, but I have to stay faithful to the stories I share here. It got to a point where she gave me the old "bring your hifi geekery into the media room." After all, one of the coolest things about the microStreamer is, like the Audioquest Dragonfly: it’s so small...

The HRT microStreamer has raised the bar so high in its category I hope it gets all the accolades it deserves. In uber-portable headphone amp/DAC combo solutions for the computer I can't think of another component outside the Audioquest Dragonfly, which to my ears doesn't have quite the dynamic punch of the microStreamer that even approaches the sonic performance of this miraculous little aluminum brick. It's like an audiophile’s reference-system-in-a-box. You have to hear it to believe it."
http://positive-feedback.com/Issue65/microstreamer.htm

May 26, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #2,361 of 9,526
May 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #2,363 of 9,526
Quote:
Actually, I solved the issue with the HRT microstreamer because I ended up purchasing one and spending a whole day to find out why it didn't work, but anyway. :)

Either way, the work is very much appreciated!! Really looking forward to the possibilities of having this available as a service on Android... TOTAL gamechanger IMO. Keep up the great work!!! :)

May 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #2,364 of 9,526
Quote:
Actually, I solved the issue with the HRT microstreamer because I ended up purchasing one and spending a whole day to find out why it didn't work, but anyway. :)

That's a great news thanks a lot for that fantastic job you are doing :wink:!
Are you the extream developper using a Xperia Z and does it work with microsteamer ?
I am still thinking of buying a microstreamer to use with a xperia Z.

By the way i am hesitating also with the sabre hifimedy wich is a lot cheaper.
 technicly unlike the microstreamer the hifimedy doesnt have an amp section right ? Is it a big drawback ? 
does anybody know the component/specs of the microstreamer dac and amp ?? i can't find anything about this

May 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #2,365 of 9,526
Quote:

It's not the same. USB Audio Recorder Pro is using a proprietary USB driver that only works within the application. The patching program that I posted attempts to install the drivers necessary for USB audio output into the Android core system and therefore enable USB audio output from any application. However, that patcher is old and was intended for use with Android 4.2.1 devices. It seems that it rarely works on Android 4.2.2. However, the developer has just stated that he has a new version of the patcher coming out that is meant for use with 4.2.2 devices. He's currently working on making it compatible with as many devices and ROMs as possible. 

I have a really rookie question...is this patch designed to work on unrooted phones? ie: can I do this on an unmodified phone from Verizon witout killing the phone? Does it work on most/all phones...I am using a droid razor HD with 4.1.2....

May 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #2,368 of 9,526
Quote:
That's a great news thanks a lot for that fantastic job you are doing :wink:!
Are you the extream developper using a Xperia Z and does it work with microsteamer ?
I am still thinking of buying a microstreamer to use with a xperia Z.

I have many Android devices, but I use the XPeria Z as my phone indeed. It's the best Android device for USB audio I have. Records 18 channels of 24-bit simultaneously! :) Not important for HiFi people, but it shows how good it is. I haven't tested it with the microstreamer, but if one audio device works with an Android device, then usually all known-to-work audio devices work on that Android device as well.

May 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2,369 of 9,526
Quote:

What is the procedure for reporting an interworking issue?

By the way, how about the implementation of USB HID (Human Interface Device) to allow Volume Up/Down Control of the HRT microStreamer from a USB host like a Xperia Z or a Galaxy S3?

"Dual purpose built, it incorporates both a high–performance headphone amplifier with an analog volume control that allows you to connect the microStreamer between your computer and headphones...
Volume control of microStreamer’s OCL (output capacitor-less) headphone amplifier is accomplished by using the digital ‘slide’ control on the host computer’s music playback software to adjust microStreamers’s internal analog volume attenuator. This clever analogue attenuation arrangement allows the full audio quality of the microStreamer to remain pure, clean and full-ranged, avoiding the known sonic degradation of digital attenuators."
http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/microstreamer

May 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #2,370 of 9,526
Just got an S4. Loving the phone, hating the headphone out. Im wondering if either the Audioquest Dragonfly or the microstreamer works directly with the S4. I've been reading the past few pages, but I'm not familiar with all the android terminology used, so I can't seem to pick out the answer. Im limiting my portable setup to those 2 devices because they seem to be the smallest ones out there. Any help would be much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back