Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #2,162 of 9,526
Quote:
The Host(in your case the S3) is using the Vbus line(a.k.a. red wire or pin 1 or Vcc or +5v) to send some current/voltage to communicate and I'm not really sure how your test cable works but if you mean the "switchable 5v" is actually cutting off the connection of the Vbus line than you're test is flawed since if disconnected the Vbus line then would not be able to send or receive signal/info/voltage and communication is lost between them therefore no chance of ever the external DAC taking over the S3 DAC.
I'm not too sure how you would test this but if you can monitor the correct voltages/current of the Vbus line to see if it's always on or actually just pulsing(on and off) for some period of time and then maybe turns off altogether then maybe you could tell if it's powering a device or just communicating with it.

Uhm, yeah... Thanks for pointing out my half-assed post... 
biggrin.gif

I was working on something else, and as a true ADDer is supposed to 
tongue.gif
 , got distracted by this and ended up posting less than complete info (and botched up the CAD drawing for my 'listening chair'-project in the process too)...

The 'switching' my quick & dirty test setup did, was not of the actual 5V, but wether a 64.9KΩ resistor was in the connection between sense and ground on the OTG cable to trick the phone into thinking an audio dock was connected instead of a regular OTG cable. Audio dock mode allows the S3 to charge while still allowing for OTG functionality. I am/was under the impression that this would disable any 'outgoing power' from the phones USB connector. Please educate me if I misunderstood :) 

With the phone in audio dock mode, the DAC wouldn't work without an external power source, even though the internal battery of the D2+ was between 90 and 100% charge. Hence my conclusion that the D2+ has no 'self-powered mode'. Feel free to point out any flaws in my ADD-infused logic, I'm here to learn :) 

Unfortunately, I can't really take any useful measurements right now. My multimeter died some time ago, together with my soldering station (don't ask, long story), and I can't afford to replace it at the moment (replacement soldering station has priority), I'm using a €2,95 china special for the time being. Which is good enough for measuring constant values, but simply isn't quick enough to measure a pulse (and with this multimeter, a pulse is anything taking less than 5 seconds).

I'll gladly retest with any additional information you provide and a better multimeter as soon as I have it (any suggestions for a very cheap multimeter with PC, preferably USB, interface are welcome too).

Quote:
the O2/ODAC combo doesn't have batteries so its no go for portable use for sure.

If the 'less than ideal' size of the O2/ODAC combo isn't a very big deal, there is a fairly simple mod that can be done to allow for presence of both batteries and ODAC.

The ODAC can be moved to the free space under the O2 PCB, you would need to add some electrical insulation here and there and to modify the rear panel (or a replacement panel) to have the opening for the USB connector in the right spot. With the ODAC out of the way, you can install batteries as you would with the stand-alone O2...

I saw some pics of this mod on another forum, I think it was on DIYaudio, but I'm not sure.

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #2,163 of 9,526
Just ordered the Pico Power for my S3, cannot wait to hear this pushing my Sennheiser HD 600's. Hopefully it does it well :)

What player do you guys use on your Android devices?

I am looking for a player/app, currently I mostly listen to MOG.

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #2,165 of 9,526
Hi...

First time poster, here. Spent the weekend devouring the forums here as they relate to my Galaxy s3. Here's my situation -- had the stock Verizon rom and was using the el cheapo Behringer UCA-202 DAC (sounds better than you'd expect it to) and was able to yes, play audio through the USB Audio Recorder app, though only .wav files for now. I was also able to stream any audio my phone could produce -- various music production apps, GPS, and Pandora most importantly.

I've since rooted my phone and put in place Liquid Smooth, a very nice rom. Now, while I can still listen to USB audio while using USB Audio Recorder and the Behringer, I've lost the ability to stream Pandora. The sound defaults to the phone speaker. I know the hardware checks out so there must be something with the kernel or? I suppose I could look for another rom or go back to stock but was just wondering if there was a more obvious solution. Thanks to all -- great forums, here.

Thanks to all -- great forums.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #2,166 of 9,526
Unfortunately, Google still hasn't implemented USB audio in AOSP.  So most ROMs built from source still won't have it either.  But once on a great ROM like Liquid Smooth, it's hard to go back to Touchwiz.  There are two things you can try.  Before doing either, back up your ROM in recovery.  Then try running Jack Norris' USB audio patch.  It seems to work on some ROMs for US S3 variants.  You can find this patch here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2029728

The other thing you can try is to flash the latest version of Paranoid.  USB audio works by default in the build for the i9300 S3.  I don't know that anyone has yet reported the status of the Verizon S3 build.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #2,168 of 9,526

Quote:

Uhm, yeah... Thanks for pointing out my half-assed post... 
biggrin.gif

I was working on something else, and as a true ADDer is supposed to 
tongue.gif
 , got distracted by this and ended up posting less than complete info (and botched up the CAD drawing for my 'listening chair'-project in the process too)...

Hahaha...that's the fun of it I guess 
tongue.gif

The 'switching' my quick & dirty test setup did, was not of the actual 5V, but wether a 64.9KΩ resistor was in the connection between sense and ground on the OTG cable to trick the phone into thinking an audio dock was connected instead of a regular OTG cable. Audio dock mode allows the S3 to charge while still allowing for OTG functionality. I am/was under the impression that this would disable any 'outgoing power' from the phones USB connector. Please educate me if I misunderstood :) 

Ah I see....it's the "fun with resistors thingy" to invoke the differing modes available on Samsung android phones though I'm not too sure exactly how all that works.
If you could point me to some docs that I can read that would be good. I'm here to learn too 
tongue.gif

With the phone in audio dock mode, the DAC wouldn't work without an external power source, even though the internal battery of the D2+ was between 90 and 100% charge. Hence my conclusion that the D2+ has no 'self-powered mode'. Feel free to point out any flaws in my ADD-infused logic, I'm here to learn :) 

You are actually contradicting yourself with the statement above since my understanding of a self powered device is exactly that it would not work without an external power source.The DAC would work if it's bus powered and taking power from the host.So that is the reason why I think your test is flawed as it neither proves nor disprove whether
the DAC is self powered or bus powered or has both.

Unfortunately, I can't really take any useful measurements right now. My multimeter died some time ago, together with my soldering station (don't ask, long story), and I can't afford to replace it at the moment (replacement soldering station has priority), I'm using a €2,95 china special for the time being. Which is good enough for measuring constant values, but simply isn't quick enough to measure a pulse (and with this multimeter, a pulse is anything taking less than 5 seconds).

I'll gladly retest with any additional information you provide and a better multimeter as soon as I have it (any suggestions for a very cheap multimeter with PC, preferably USB, interface are welcome too).

I'm not really an authority in this so you might want to find info elsewhere.Anyway I'm really not too concern whether a DAC is self-powered or bus-powered as like I said I'm using my S3 with the extended battery that can last me the whole day with music listening and heavy usage and is enough for all my needs, and as far as I know max a device will
draw is 500mA and usually will only draw 100mA of power.So like you said the battery on the S3 should not be effected too much but it will be a plus if the DAC is self powered but not a big deal if it wasn't.

Anyway it'll be nice to see you trying to come out with a valid test and try some DACs to see if it's self powered or bus powered.
Good Luck!! 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #2,169 of 9,526
Quote:

Ah I see....it's the "fun with resistors thingy" to invoke the differing modes available on Samsung android phones though I'm not too sure exactly how all that works.
If you could point me to some docs that I can read that would be goodI'm here to learn too 
tongue.gif

---

You are actually contradicting yourself with the statement above since my understanding of a self powered device is exactly that it would not work without an external power source.The DAC would work if it's bus powered and taking power from the host.So that is the reason why I think your test is flawed as it neither proves nor disprove whether
the DAC is self powered or bus powered or has both.

There's some info about it here on head-fi somewhere, but I don't have any docs (wish I did tho). It's a bit more complex than just adding resistors as other checks are being performed too for switching to other modes like MHL etc. But I guess the audio dock mode is useful enough for us audio junkies and that mode is triggered by resistance value in the sense to ground connection of the OTG cable only.
I haven't gotten very far with it. Just som breadboard test setups. I'm awaiting delivery of my new soldering station and 200 pieces of 64.9K Ohm SMD resistor (typo while ordering, 20 would have been plenty for testing, but I didn't want to do anything to delay delivery of my soldering station as having a 12 watt fixed temperature soldering iron as your primary soldering tool is not quite ideal), so I should be able to whip up something actually usable in the real world soon, I already have some ideas for practical applications.

Anyway, here's a list of resistor values I found somewhere on a (this?) forum:

ADC_DOCK_VOL_DN = 0x0a, /* 0x01010 14.46K ohm */
ADC_DOCK_VOL_UP = 0x0b, /* 0x01011 17.26K ohm */
ADC_DOCK_PLAY_PAUSE_KEY = 0x0d,
ADC_SMARTDOCK = 0x10, /* 0x10000 40.2K ohm */
ADC_AUDIODOCK = 0x12, /* 0x10010 64.9K ohm */
ADC_CEA936ATYPE1_CHG = 0x17, /* 0x10111 200K ohm */
ADC_JIG_USB_OFF = 0x18, /* 0x11000 255K ohm */
ADC_JIG_USB_ON = 0x19, /* 0x11001 301K ohm */
ADC_DESKDOCK = 0x1a, /* 0x11010 365K ohm */
ADC_CEA936ATYPE2_CHG = 0x1b, /* 0x11011 442K ohm */
ADC_JIG_UART_OFF = 0x1c, /* 0x11100 523K ohm */
ADC_JIG_UART_ON = 0x1d, /* 0x11101 619K ohm */
ADC_CARDOCK = 0x1d, /* 0x11101 619K ohm */
#if defined(CONFIG_MUIC_DET_JACK)
ADC_EARJACK = 0x1e, /* 0x11110 1000 or 1002 ohm */

I hope it'll be useful to you. If you have any questions, well, you can try asking me, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the most reliable source of information. But you never know, I might have learned something new by then... 
biggrin.gif

---

How am I contradicting myself? I'm not contradicting myself, I'm just saying the same thing twice in different ways.
But yeah, now that I read it again, it is kind of confusing to me too 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, hopefully this clears it up a little:

With the phone in audio dock mode (so not putting out any power to the D2+), the DAC wouldn't work (as it is bus-powered only) without an external power source (ok, not the best choice of words and punctuation here, "the DAC wouldn't work, unless an additional external power source, via USB, was used" would have been better), even though the internal battery of the D2+ was between 90 and 100% charge (to illustrate the charge state of the internal battery, or the possible lack of, was not a factor in my test). Hence my conclusion that the D2+ has no 'self-powered mode' (the DAC of the D2+ can't use the D2+ internal battery as a powersource, it needs bus power to work).

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #2,171 of 9,526
Noob here, I just recently started using my Motorloa XYboard to play FLAC files in my car via the 3.5mm to the IP bus on my source. I've been searching but cant find a solid answer to weather the internal DAC can be bypassed through either micro USB or mini HDMI.  I also have a Droid DNA I could use too, but I prefer the tablet. Thanks

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2,172 of 9,526
The Motorola Xoom using the USB Audio Recorder PRO app can interwork with USB DAC.
As the XYBoard is rather an evolution of the Xoom, it should have the same capability.

"The micro USB port also supports USB host, and that means you can use USB peripherals like flash drives and keyboards with the XYBoard if you have a USB host (also called USB OTG) cable."
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tablets/Motorola-Droid-XYBoard-10.htm

"By all means try the TRIAL version first to see if your device works:"
http://www.audio-evolution.com/downloads/USBAudioRecorderPROTrial_1.1.0.apk

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #2,173 of 9,526
Quote:
Anyway, here's a list of resistor values I found somewhere on a (this?) forum:

ADC_DOCK_VOL_DN = 0x0a, /* 0x01010 14.46K ohm */
ADC_DOCK_VOL_UP = 0x0b, /* 0x01011 17.26K ohm */
ADC_DOCK_PLAY_PAUSE_KEY = 0x0d,
ADC_SMARTDOCK = 0x10, /* 0x10000 40.2K ohm */
ADC_AUDIODOCK = 0x12, /* 0x10010 64.9K ohm */
ADC_CEA936ATYPE1_CHG = 0x17, /* 0x10111 200K ohm */
ADC_JIG_USB_OFF = 0x18, /* 0x11000 255K ohm */
ADC_JIG_USB_ON = 0x19, /* 0x11001 301K ohm */
ADC_DESKDOCK = 0x1a, /* 0x11010 365K ohm */
ADC_CEA936ATYPE2_CHG = 0x1b, /* 0x11011 442K ohm */
ADC_JIG_UART_OFF = 0x1c, /* 0x11100 523K ohm */
ADC_JIG_UART_ON = 0x1d, /* 0x11101 619K ohm */
ADC_CARDOCK = 0x1d, /* 0x11101 619K ohm */
#if defined(CONFIG_MUIC_DET_JACK)
ADC_EARJACK = 0x1e, /* 0x11110 1000 or 1002 ohm */

Hopefully, Android devices will be compliant with the USB specification, or more precisely with Accessory Charger Adapter (ACA) specified in the Battery Charging 1.2 specification:
http://kinetis.pl/sites/default/files/BC1.2_FINAL.pdf

"Accessory Charger Adapter (ACA)
As Portable Devices (PD) get smaller, it becomes more desirable for the PD to only have one external connector. If the only connector a device has is a USB connector, then a problem arises when the user wants to attach the device to a charger at the same time as it is already attached to something else.

Consider a PD that has a single connector, which can also acts as a handheld PC. When such a device is put into an ACA-Dock, it would act as a host to various USB peripherals, such as a DAC, hub, keyboard, mouse, etc. However, while in the ACA-Dock, the device should also able to charge at the same time.

To inform the PD that it should act as host and draw current, the ACA is required to pull the ID pin to ground through a resistance of RID_A (124k)."

A USB OTG device is configured to USB host mode supplying or drawing power, or USB peripheral mode by ACA/OTG software/hardware measuring the value of the ID resistance of the USB interface.

According to the value of the ID resistance
. the Android device should act as a USB host, interwork with the USB DAC acting as a USB peripheral or accessory, and supply power to the bus-powered USB DAC
. the Android device should act as a USB host, interwork with the USB DAC acting as a USB peripheral, and draw power from an external battery
. the Android device should act as a standalone USB peripheral, and draw power from an external battery
. the Android device should act as a USB peripheral, interwork with a USB host, and draw power from an external power source.

The ACA software program is present in the Linux kernel source code of the Samsung Galaxy S3.
https://github.com/sgs3/GT-I9300_Kernel/blob/master/arch/arm/mach-exynos/p10-battery.c#L248

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #2,174 of 9,526
Quote:
Noob here, I just recently started using my Motorloa XYboard to play FLAC files in my car via the 3.5mm to the IP bus on my source. I've been searching but cant find a solid answer to weather the internal DAC can be bypassed through either micro USB or mini HDMI.  I also have a Droid DNA I could use too, but I prefer the tablet. Thanks

Super easy answer here-- use the DNA instead. I also have the DNA and the Xyboard 8.9, and the DNA is VASTLY better for SQ out of the headset jack. Additionally, the DNA supports external USB DACs while the Xyboard doesn't. In fact, you can basically set up a single micro USB connection into your phone that both charges it and outputs digital audio-- check out the (very helpful) description of such a setup here (although he's using an S3). To my knowledge, there isn't anywhere near as much info about which DACs are compatible with the DNA as there are for the S3 (HTC needs to hire DanBa), so you might want to do a bit of digging and check compatibility with whichever device you end up using. 

I believe I tried the USB Audio Recorder Pro app without success on the Xyboard in the past, but I could be mistaken. Anyhow, let us know how you're doing with it, man!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back