Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 4, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #2,041 of 9,526
I understand your frustration with the functionality issues in the USB Recorder Pro app, but I think your position may be a bit unnecessarily harsh. I base my opinion on these assertions:

1). The app itself is still fairly new.

2). We are NOT using it for the original purpose (to record audio w/ USB mics).

3). The developer has been very responsive to our concerns and recommendations.

4). Even with the limited functionality and usability of the app in its current state, it still allows for something that is completely impossible without it-- and that's a big deal, in my opinion.

Honestly, as much as I wish everything would hurry along too, USB audio from mobile devices is still very much in its infancy. I think we'd do well to reward and positively reinforce app developers who bring this kind of ability to us when the manufacturers fail to :wink:.

Just my thoughts.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #2,042 of 9,526
You are probably right...I just ran through a series of apps that all had one thing in common...a complete lack of usable instructions....The thing is, this app sounds great...really good...did I note its sound. It is only limited by its inability to play a library...Imagine the same sound quality in an app that can play a library

ooohhhhh

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #2,043 of 9,526
Yeah man, I know what you mean!! Patience... better minds than mine are hard at work to make it happen for us :wink:.

Another thought might be to see if you can get a phone that supports USB audio natively? If you have any upgrades on your account, it might be worth your while to check on moving to the S3 or Droid DNA (both Verizon, which I assume you have), as I have both of them and they work without needing the USB Recorder Pro app.

EDIT: just realized you have the E07k, which is also potentially problematic for USB playback with the S3. I'd say it's worth thinking through whatever your next moves are on your portable rig to make sure you get something you REALLY enjoy. I, for one, won't be buying any phone without support for USB DACs, period. Music is my #1 use for my phone, and that makes a tremendous difference for me. YMMV, of course.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing, bud!! Best of luck!!

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #2,045 of 9,526
Apr 5, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #2,046 of 9,526
Quote:
You are probably right...I just ran through a series of apps that all had one thing in common...a complete lack of usable instructions....The thing is, this app sounds great...really good...did I note its sound. It is only limited by its inability to play a library...Imagine the same sound quality in an app that can play a library

ooohhhhh

It can play a library stored in a directory.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1635#post_9133811
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1665#post_9137819
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1995#post_9313819

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #2,047 of 9,526
Quote:
If the nexus s 4g is the Samsung / Google Galaxy Nexus, it can work with USB DAC using USB Audio Recorder PRO.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2010#post_9317569

If the nexus s 4g is the LG / Google Nexus 4, it can't work with USB DAC as long as the USB host feature is not enabled.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1170#post_8985577

The "Nexus S 4G" is a Nexus S (Samsung made) sold on the american market, so it's (1 Nexus generation) older than a Google Nexus (and much older than a Nexus 4). I suppose it's the same Wolfson DAC inside that I have in my european Nexus S (the same audio chip than the original Samsung Galaxy S). Really good sound when you use Voodoo Sound enhancement, then the phone drives even 300Ohm headphones quite well. Before testing this, you have no idea the power that's inside this phone audio jack.
Probably unusable with a USB DAC though. 
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/documents/uploads/product_briefs/en/WM8996_ProductBrief.pdf

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #2,048 of 9,526
I agree with you about music being the reason why I own more than a flip phone. The Droid Razor HD is a really nice phone, the best I have ever owned BUT...the android operating system even with Jelly Bean, does not do a USB data out. The USB audio recorder pro app fixes that...A giant step for sound quality but a tiny baby step short of magic...they quit before they perfected the app....sigh!

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #2,050 of 9,526
Quote:
I agree with you about music being the reason why I own more than a flip phone. The Droid Razor HD is a really nice phone, the best I have ever owned BUT...the android operating system even with Jelly Bean, does not do a USB data out. The USB audio recorder pro app fixes that...A giant step for sound quality but a tiny baby step short of magic...they quit before they perfected the app....sigh!

You've just highlighted why, for the moment, it's best to stick to the offerings from Samsung & HTC.  They've got this functionality right out of the box.  But if the major custom ROM developers start implementing USB audio, this matter will cease to be much of a problem.  Unfortunately, development for the Razr HD is currently pretty limited:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1861

Hopefully someone will port Paranoid Android to it soon.  If so, try it out and see if USB audio works as it does on the S3 version.

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #2,051 of 9,526
Quote:

The "Nexus S 4G" is a Nexus S (Samsung made) sold on the american market, so it's (1 Nexus generation) older than a Google Nexus (and much older than a Nexus 4). I suppose it's the same Wolfson DAC inside that I have in my european Nexus S (the same audio chip than the original Samsung Galaxy S). Really good sound when you use Voodoo Sound enhancement, then the phone drives even 300Ohm headphones quite well. Before testing this, you have no idea the power that's inside this phone audio jack.
Probably unusable with a USB DAC though. 
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/documents/uploads/product_briefs/en/WM8996_ProductBrief.pdf

This is correct

I currently use voodoo with poweramp for a pair of atrio m5's and a fiio e6. Sounds pretty damn good, but we're all chasing better sound lol

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #2,052 of 9,526
I flashed Paranoid 3.15 yesterday on my i9300 S3.  And much to my surprise, USB audio works!  I wonder if they merged Jack Norris' patch?  It behaves the same way, locking volume at max.  It's something to consider if looking for a DAC/Amp.  Those without volume control aren't really an option with this arrangement.

You totally got my hopes up on this one. I was using and loving Paranoid Android 3.11 on my i747 S3, so I upgraded to 3.15 here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2129993

Playing music out the internal speaker, I plug in my Intruder. The music pauses. Awesome. I play the music. It continues with no sound coming out the speaker. THIS IS PROMISING.

I listen to what's coming from the Intruder... nothing :frowning2:

So it seems this build is awfully close. I was happy to hear that the headphone port still works, unlike the roms I've patched with jack norris's code previously.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #2,053 of 9,526
Quote:

I do not understand how this works (as the app has no real instructions). If I load everything, from the home screen, I get a folder icon in the upper left. If I simply hit the play button, it tells me nothing is selected. If I hit on the folder icon, I get a list of files. If I select a file and then hit play, the app plays THAT SONG and nothing else in the folder

???

I seem to have to manually select the both the word length (16 or 24) and the frequency (44.1 through the list to 96hz)...I am not able to play from a 16/44.1 to a 24/96 to a 24/48, etc...

Is that normal???

Also, how does one add files to that playlist? I have files in the phone but none show in playlists???

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #2,054 of 9,526
Quote:
Has anyone got a Note II / HRT microStreamer combo been able to pass 24/96 files via USB Recorder Pro? I got the HRT to initiated always by turning on and off the USB Recorder Pro twice, and the display show 24/96 files alright and the meter danced with the tune but there is no sound coming out! Switching back to 16/44 didn't help and the HRT always go into mute mode and I need to reboot the Note II to get the HRT unlock itself from mute and play from other players like Neutron.

Anyone?

I wasn't able to find an answer to your question in the post history so I assume that it went unanswered.  I am interested as I am having the same results with my S3 and microstreamer using USB A.R.Pro.  On the A.R. pro website it indicates that HRT products are not supported.  When I use Neutron Music Player with the microstreamer it indicates that it is downsampling to 16/44.1. Is this, in fact, what is happening?  Does anybody know?  Does the Galaxy Note 2 allow you to send 24/96 to the microstreamer DAC?

Please, any one who is in the know, advise.

Thanks,

BriX

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #2,055 of 9,526
On the hrt facebook page

"Yarland Hk

A Friend use the microStreamer on his Note 2 and can power the microStreamer directly! But you can not use the app which bypass android and play 24/96 files. That's a good news for microStreamer user, many thanks!
[size=11.199999809265137px] J’aime ·  · 2 février, 15:46, à proximité de Hong Kong, Hong Kong
    HRT Music Streamers aime ça.

HRT Music Streamers Yes! And we are very pleased about this! Have you tried the WinAmp Android App? According to Kevin Halverson (CTO), "it works extremely well". Please let us know 

[/size] "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back