Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android phones and USB DACs - Page 79

post #1171 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirmalanow View Post


I am using a Predator amp and I have tried others but keep coming back to the Predator. I also read in a few places that the LX was a little bit better sounding than the DACport with the Amp, but it is true that it would simplify my system to have a single DAC/amp. If I really like the LX, maybe I will try the DACport sometime and consider simplifying. A while back when I was using a computer as my source, I had a Pico and a Predator and kept trying to decide which one I liked better. Finally, I came to the conclusion that I liked the DAC in the Pico and the amp in the Predator, so I kept them both. Then I went to using a Hifiman 801 so no longer needed the Pico, but still fed the signal through my Predator. Now I am using my Nexus 10, so this may be similar in that I am back to having separate source, DAC and amp.

 

I may someday also try the new HifiM8 for a simpler setup, but as far as I can tell from their website, the DAC in that will require special drivers which may mean it will not work with the USB app for Android.

 

I use my system as a movable and completely battery powered system, but I do not try for completely portable as I do not travel much, so I do not mind the extra cables and pieces of equipment. I like to strap it all down on a padded laptop desk so that I can easily pick it up and take it outside or into another room. And when I do travel, I will just take the Nexus and my REO iems. Works for me.

I feel the same way about my RSA Predator, this is the one piece of gear I will not get rid of. I've came close to doing it because it wasn't being used as much, but I always find a new use for it. I have the Dacport, and at times wish I had the Dacport LX so I would have to use my Predator with it.evil_smiley.gif

BTW, before the Dacport, I had an HRT Music Streamer, and found that it paired very well with the amp in the Predator.

post #1172 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post

Okay, read this thread with a LOT of excitement last night, and went ahead and bought the app (to thank the developer for his work) and decided to wait until this morning to try it... and it flippin' WORKS!!! Below is my setup: 

 

Verizon Galaxy S3 (running aokp_d2vzw_jb_build-4) > iBasso D6 > HD25-II 

 

...

 

It appears that the major hurdle has been overcome in utilizing USB DACs with our Android devices, and I for one am absolutely STOKED!!!! 

 

USB Audio Recorder PRO is fantastic, but AFAIK your Galaxy S3 shouldn't even need that to output USB OTG. When a given phone's (shipped) OS supports USB OTG and DAC properly (not many phones do this, but newer ones like S3 and Note 2 do) you can use just about any music player software and then the OS pipes the output directly to your outboard DAC in pure digital form using USB OTG, bypassing the inferior DAC and amp internal to the phone.

 

Audio Recorder PRO also shows up manufacturers whose hardware supports USB OTG but through conspiracy or incompetence failed to drive it in the OS software they ship. But since you have an S3 you should be able to use a wide variety of software, with features like playlists, or DLNA UPnP, that PRO doesn't have yet, or may never since its author intends it (so far) as a recorder.


Edited by Toe Tag - 12/22/12 at 11:36pm
post #1173 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe Tag View Post

 

USB Audio Recorder PRO is fantastic, but AFAIK your Galaxy S3 shouldn't even need that to output USB OTG. When a given phone's (shipped) OS supports USB OTG and DAC properly (not many phones do this, but newe

 

His phone does, because he's running AOKP as his ROM.  This is based on the same code as CyanogenMOD.  Neither of which supports USB-OTG.

If he wants native USB-OTG then he'll need to flash a stock based ROM like I did.

Which sucks, because I love AOKP.

post #1174 of 5263

If anyone comes across a right-angle USB-OTG cable that is at least 16" long, please let me know.  I need it for a custom cable I'm creating for my car stereo.  I want the first 16" to be un-molested.  As in, no signs of splicing.  Because no matter how hard I try, I can't get my splices to look  "normal" even when using shrink tubing.  :D

Anything after the first 16" can be hid behind my dash where it's welcome to look as ugly as it wants to.  hahah

post #1175 of 5263

USB audio at the Android Linux kernel space, USB audio at the Android Linux user space

 

 

1000

 

1000

post #1176 of 5263
Although none of the AOSP Jelly Bean ROM's that I've found have supported USB DAC's yet, rest assured... you can still get your AOSP fix... as long as you're willing to downgrade anyways.
 
I just flashed the last known official nightly of CM9 on my SIII and it worked just fine with my UCA202 DAC.  
I'll report back if there are any problems I uncover.
 
CM9 nightly:
 
CM9 gapps:
post #1177 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirmalanow View Post


Not all phones and some of them only work with USB Audio Recorder Pro app which has limited playback features so far. The developer may be adding features. I would check the list above to see if the Nexus 4 is on there.

 

i didn't see nexus 4 on the above list.

 

i was really hoping on the nexus 4, though.. since it's only priced half of SGS3.


Edited by i_djoel2000 - 12/23/12 at 6:50pm
post #1178 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post

His phone does, because he's running AOKP as his ROM.  This is based on the same code as CyanogenMOD.  Neither of which supports USB-OTG.

If he wants native USB-OTG then he'll need to flash a stock based ROM like I did.

Which sucks, because I love AOKP.

OIC! Thanks. Have we had any luck asking Cyanogenmod about a USB OTG feature?

 

Seems to be discussed here for over 2 years... http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=1227

OK they left that up, no activity for 1 year. Says they "switched to gerrit" for patch review. 

Here, the cyanogenmod wiki discusses gerrit http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/wiki/Howto:_Gerrit

I guess this is the syntax for the query http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/q/status:open+message:otg,n,z

I get the impression gerrit is only for their serious coders. 

I also get the impression that the requests at http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=1227 (along with the ability for people to vote for features they wanted) got dropped on the ground when they moved to gerrit a year ago.

 

Anyone know if we have, or how we can, reach out to cyanogenmod?


Edited by Toe Tag - 12/24/12 at 2:09am
post #1179 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_djoel2000 View Post

 

i didn't see nexus 4 on the above list.

 

i was really hoping on the nexus 4, though.. since it's only priced half of SGS3.

 

As long as the USB host is not enabled on the Nexus 4, it can't work with a USB peripheral like a standard USB DAC.

 

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=40087

post #1180 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post

 

As long as the USB host is not enabled on the Nexus 4, it can't work with a USB peripheral like a standard USB DAC.

 

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=40087

Strangely, why do you think, they would disable something that essential nowadays???

post #1181 of 5263

I don’t know what the Google guys smoke nowadays: no USB host support, no additional SD card storage, Android-specific USB audio.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/645#post_8815590

 

Luckily for us, Android is based on Linux, and open source.

post #1182 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post

I don’t know what the Google guys smoke nowadays: no USB host support, no additional SD card storage, Android-specific USB audio.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/645#post_8815590

 

Luckily for us, Android is based on Linux, and open source.

..Its not that I like Samsung, but at least they are trying, and doing a good job.

post #1183 of 5263

Yes! A big thumbs up for Samsung!

post #1184 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post


... as transport dx 100 or my iPhone 4 S can not compete again
AK 100.

Honest technical question: If you have an external DAC doing D/A conversion, would the transport have any impact on sound quality? I've often wondered that and I'm not sure if I'm overlooking anything, but I would have assumed that the transport is merely providing digital infomation to the DAC.

 

 

Anybody can help?

posted  :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633511/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xvi/930#post_8985711

post #1185 of 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post

Honest technical question: If you have an external DAC doing D/A conversion, would the transport have any impact on sound quality? I've often wondered that and I'm not sure if I'm overlooking anything, but I would have assumed that the transport is merely providing digital infomation to the DAC.

 

 

Anybody can help?

posted  :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633511/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xvi/930#post_8985711


It sure can. If the timing is off it can lead to sound degradation (jitter). At least that is what I gathered from someone who DIY in this regard :).


Edited by lee730 - 12/24/12 at 4:43am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android phones and USB DACs