Android phones and USB DACs
Jul 25, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #9,316 of 9,526
Good day yee all.
I have a question.
I recently upgraded from a note 8 to the lg v30+ with the built in 4xdac and love it!

But I'm running into a small problem connecting usb out to my fiio q5, WITHOUT CHANGING THE FIIO. I hand no problem doing this without charging on my note 8.
I'm using the fiio CL06 and I'm running the usb pro app but just can't stop the lg from charging my fiio q5.

All my usual settings do seem to stick or have the desired out come (not charging my dac amp) any suggestions would be great.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #9,317 of 9,526
And of course, if a friend has a DAC with a USB input and a display that shows the current PCM / DSD source type and sample rate, you don't need to do anything.

I've got Pro-Ject S2 which shows bitrate. Samsung S10, when using Tidal, is resampling everything to 192kHz. It's not ideal, it's definitely not bit-perfect, and there is no MQA (second unfold), but it does sounds pretty good. Reason for using Tidal and/or Qobuz is getting at least 44/16, true CD quality, instead of compressed 320kbps.

And using USB Audio Player Pro for Tidal playback gives (with Pro-Ject S2) up to 352kbps, bit-perfect.

But, frankly, it's very hard to hear a difference between 1st unfold only and 1+2nd unfold. So, even using "stock" Tidal app, sound quality is much better than Spotify.

Jul 29, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #9,318 of 9,526
I've got Pro-Ject S2 which shows bitrate. Samsung S10, when using Tidal, is resampling everything to 192kHz. It's not ideal, it's definitely not bit-perfect, and there is no MQA (second unfold), but it does sounds pretty good. Reason for using Tidal and/or Qobuz is getting at least 44/16, true CD quality, instead of compressed 320kbps.

And using USB Audio Player Pro for Tidal playback gives (with Pro-Ject S2) up to 352kbps, bit-perfect.

But, frankly, it's very hard to hear a difference between 1st unfold only and 1+2nd unfold. So, even using "stock" Tidal app, sound quality is much better than Spotify.

In the former realm of evil, 4PDA is very resource-efficient, with such solutions .
http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=845749&st=740#entry78253747
But thanks to Samsung's extremely simplified procedure for sound processing - basically through the Android mixer, it's probably an unnecessary attempt. On my old Galaxy S6 I am tempted to use the Linux alsa system, but I did not find the enthusiastic response of successful experimental rabbits. It is particularly sad to read the configuration files audio_policy.conf et al. All max 48 kHz. Already there, instead of Wolfson DAC could give some alternative Realtek. As usual Samsung, perfect hardware / poor software.
You can also check the DAC type via terminal:
cat /proc/asound/cards
or
cat /proc/asound/devices

vypis.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #9,319 of 9,526
I use a FiiO ML6 micro USB-micro USB or a corporate Topping USB cable to connect Samsung Galaxy S6/FiiO X5 III > UAPP / Neutron / Hiby > Topping NX4 DSD/FiiO X5 I.gen. Battery consumption on Galaxy S5 about 3-5 % per hour.
There is no need to connect the USB cable to the FiiO Q5 for power supply ??? What does the Q5 manual say?
I also have a collection of USB OTG cables and keys, but only the old FiiO X5 I consumed the energy from my smartphone

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #9,320 of 9,526
What is actually the current state of Android, if you want to connect an external DAC? I connected the audioquest Dragonfly to the test lot of years ago, and I can still remember that it was a relatively big effort. Does the Neutron Player actually support USB Audio, or do you still need to use the Audio Player pro?

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #9,321 of 9,526
What is actually the current state of Android, if you want to connect an external DAC? I connected the audioquest Dragonfly to the test lot of years ago, and I can still remember that it was a relatively big effort. Does the Neutron Player actually support USB Audio, or do you still need to use the Audio Player pro?

If you have a newer Android that uses USB-C then there are some great USB-C dongles that work very well and can have a surprising amount of power. The Hidizs Sonata HDII USB-C dongle for example is pretty sweet. You'll get better results with USB Audio Player Pro, but you don't necessarily have to use it. Android supports OTG on its own, but you get more control and can bypass the Android drivers with USB Audio Player Pro and can even have bit perfect output.

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #9,322 of 9,526
Earlier I tried to get the Ultrasone Naos running.
No chance. I tried it on the note9 and the s10.
not with Neutron, not with UAPP, not with HiBy Player.
Scrap from south Germany...

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #9,323 of 9,526
Earlier I tried to get the Ultrasone Naos running.
No chance. I tried it on the note9 and the s10.
not with Neutron, not with UAPP, not with HiBy Player.
Scrap from south Germany...

It pleases, crap for $ 250 and good only to support the closet. I hope you didn't get inspired by this extremely useful review...
https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/ultrasone-naos-portable-headphone-dac/
Maybe the author will tell you how to deal with all systems. another graphoman who only compiled the manufacturer's manual and promotional crap

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #9,324 of 9,526
Which Dac are known to run problem-free on the Note9?

Aug 3, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #9,326 of 9,526
Today I brought the Cobalt home for fun.
Simply out of curiosity.

My expectation was as follows:
The thing is louder, but sounds same as the aux of the Note9.

To make it short:
I do not believe what I'm hearing right now. :astonished:Significantly more resolution.
Clearly more clarity. Significantly more control.

I'm going crazy.
How disillusioning.:grimacing:

Could someone please tell me that he also got the thing home, and gained completely different impressions ?!

20190803-210723_956008.jpg

:o2smile:

Headphone: Quad era-1

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #9,327 of 9,526
I'm loving Cobalt as well, wonderful little DAC/amp for my Custom Art Harmony 8.2.
And not only when using USB Player Pro, but also Tidal stream resampled by Samsung to 192/24 sounds much better.

Aug 4, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #9,328 of 9,526
How can I access my offline content from tidal via the USB Audio player? or is that not possible?

Aug 4, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #9,329 of 9,526
Aug 15, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #9,330 of 9,526
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum...
my question is ..

I am planning to build a DAC (AK4493EQ based) with Amanero Combo384 USB card in it.
Will it support my Android device which runs on Android 7.1.2 Nougat?

Any comment/suggestions please...Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back