1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Android phones and USB DACs

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by nztechfreak, Feb 9, 2012.
First

Back
611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620
622 623
Next

Last
  1. Devodonaldson
    Did you press always use this device, or just for this session? If you selected always, UAPP will hijack whenever plugged in.

2. radekhulan
    I just got simple USB-C DAC (Hidizs Sonata II).
    Flashed "D" music firmware into it.
    Windows 10 playes at 192/24.
    My Samsung S10+ phone sounds great with it, but I have no idea what bitrate it is using, with Tidal and MQA 96/24 tracks.
    How can I check it?

3. Devodonaldson
    16/48. Android audio stack resamples all music to 16/48. Resampling is an unavoidable issue with stock apps and streaming services.

radekhulan likes this.
  4. Horacio
    Hello.
    Been searching withing this thread and googling and I'm not finding answers, so I'll give it a try here: I have a Samsung S8 with Tidal and recently purchased a Chord Mojo. They work perfectly through USB Audio Player Pro, but I can't get Tidal to stream downloaded files to Mojo. After some reading I'm wondering if it's the Android version on the S8 (version 9, Pie) being unable to stream to USB (while I read UAPP has a special driver to do this)?

Any tips would be very welcomed!

5. deco cat
    Any opinion on Poweramp v3?

6. m-i-c-k-e-y
    I think Tidal doesn't have an internal USB driver like UAPP's that you can connect external Dac/Amps to your phone.

And Tidal won't allow UAPP to download from its site or to access downloaded files from its program. The developer was asking this for years and Tidal won't budge.

So..
    1. Use Tidal at is w/ S8... w/o Mojo.
    2. Use UAPP w/ Mojo playing Tidal Online.
    3. Use UAPP playing Tidal w/ S8 using Internal Hires Driver..

7. Horacio
    Thanks for the input. I was coming to the same conclusion. Kind of sucks! Do you know if there is a reason for Tidal not to have a driver to play to USB DAC, or if they have plans to develop one?

8. m-i-c-k-e-y
    I couldn't see why they can't. They have the resources...loads of it.

But I think they are just contented on the idea that they have.... getting your money.

9. Devodonaldson
    I've used Tidsl to USB DAC on every Android device I've owned. S7, S8, LG V30, LG G6, Samsung prime 3, Razer phone 2. It works like every other Android app, as everything is run through the Android audio stack

10. Leanns
    Do USB DACs finally work with Spotify?

11. Horacio
    Interesting. I see you use Dragonfly, and I take it you didn't use any special workaround/setting. Maybe it's the Mojo then? I sent a question to Tidal support.

12. Devodonaldson
    I've also used mojo. Sorry about your troubles. I have had particular individual devices give me issue, that were supposed to have otg audio capability. It does occur

13. Ininael
    Hello Guys,

First of all, im new here, so, Hi!

I've got few questions, sorry for my bad English im from Indonesia.

Which is better? Fiio M3K or Topping NX4?

Topping is an DAC/AMP and not DAP/DAC right?

So i have to connect Topping to my computer or Smartphone,
    I want to connect it to my Redmi Note 5, but i ever read on the net that Android limits the audio to 24/96? So when i play 24/192 files with Topping connected to my Smartphone, it only play 24/96? Or it play 24/192?

I use Poweramp in my smartphone, 24 Bit 192kHz output setting, no problem.

Does someone have further information about this?
    I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

14. Sito Lupion
  15. TiborG
    It's usable only with root, but the test is simple. Download a terminal emulator from GPlay - for example Termux. Start and install the necessary components via wifi.
    Open Termux and enter
    su
    dumpsys media.audio_flinger (while playing)
    more comfortable version
    dumpsys media.audio_flinger >sdcard/flinger.txt
    or
    dumpsys media.audio_policy >sdcard/policy.txt
    The first command will list the audio outputs, the second overall list of audio hardware and output options. Especially Samsung drives everything through a mixer at 48 kHz, while UHQ (Oreo) for headphones is sampling up to 192 kHz.
    Then you will be a little sad to find that this data is only an unfulfilled dream on the internal DAC
    UAPP.png
    Only UAPP and probably Neutron via external DAC bypasses the mixer and plays the bitperfect event resampled according to the settings and options of the external DAC. According to the listings, you can easily see that the internal DAC mixer will not outperform, even if it writes something else on the player panel.
    You can use both dumpsys commands more conveniently via ADB under Win or Linux, even more convenient with ADB over Wifi. But that's more study and preparation ...
    So I kind of do not understand the enthusiasm over the sound quality via Quobuz, Tidal, MQA and similar paid stream services ...

And of course, if a friend has a DAC with a USB input and a display that shows the current PCM / DSD source type and sample rate, you don't need to do anything.
    DX3.jpg UAPP ext DAC.png

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    radekhulan likes this.
First

Back
611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620
622 623
Next

Last