Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 7, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #9,301 of 9,526
my z3 with 4.4.4, is up and running, but I noticed a few issues that I hope others can help resolve. Originally, my UAPP was not working with my z3 and mojo, I would turn on the Mojo and UAPP would open up and recognize a USB dac, but when I play a song it said no USB dac detected and it asks if you have a DAC and if you say yes, error would appear. However the Tidal app and music app would both work with the mojo completely fine. After a restart of the phone, when I turn on the Mojo again UAPP opens up and recognizes it, but now it says USB initiated and it works fine, however now, neither the music app nor tidal app work with the mojo. They only play out of the phone speakers.

Any thoughts? Is it maybe a bad rom flash? If someone has z3 with 4.4.4, appreciate any links to the firmware they used to flash it (if that could be the source of the error)
Did you press always use this device, or just for this session? If you selected always, UAPP will hijack whenever plugged in.

Apr 8, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #9,302 of 9,526
I just got simple USB-C DAC (Hidizs Sonata II).
Flashed "D" music firmware into it.
Windows 10 playes at 192/24.
My Samsung S10+ phone sounds great with it, but I have no idea what bitrate it is using, with Tidal and MQA 96/24 tracks.
How can I check it?

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #9,303 of 9,526
My Samsung S10+ phone sounds great with it, but I have no idea what bitrate it is using, with Tidal and MQA 96/24 tracks.
How can I check it?
16/48. Android audio stack resamples all music to 16/48. Resampling is an unavoidable issue with stock apps and streaming services.

Jun 9, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #9,304 of 9,526
Hello.
Been searching withing this thread and googling and I'm not finding answers, so I'll give it a try here: I have a Samsung S8 with Tidal and recently purchased a Chord Mojo. They work perfectly through USB Audio Player Pro, but I can't get Tidal to stream downloaded files to Mojo. After some reading I'm wondering if it's the Android version on the S8 (version 9, Pie) being unable to stream to USB (while I read UAPP has a special driver to do this)?

Any tips would be very welcomed!

Jun 9, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #9,306 of 9,526
I think Tidal doesn't have an internal USB driver like UAPP's that you can connect external Dac/Amps to your phone.

And Tidal won't allow UAPP to download from its site or to access downloaded files from its program. The developer was asking this for years and Tidal won't budge.

So..
1. Use Tidal at is w/ S8... w/o Mojo.
2. Use UAPP w/ Mojo playing Tidal Online.
3. Use UAPP playing Tidal w/ S8 using Internal Hires Driver..

Hello.
Been searching withing this thread and googling and I'm not finding answers, so I'll give it a try here: I have a Samsung S8 with Tidal and recently purchased a Chord Mojo. They work perfectly through USB Audio Player Pro, but I can't get Tidal to stream downloaded files to Mojo. After some reading I'm wondering if it's the Android version on the S8 (version 9, Pie) being unable to stream to USB (while I read UAPP has a special driver to do this)?

Any tips would be very welcomed!

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #9,307 of 9,526
I think Tidal doesn't have an internal USB driver like UAPP's that you can connect external Dac/Amps to your phone.

And Tidal won't allow UAPP to download from its site or to access downloaded files from its program. The developer was asking this for years and Tidal won't budge.

So..
1. Use Tidal at is w/ S8... w/o Mojo.
2. Use UAPP w/ Mojo playing Tidal Online.
3. Use UAPP playing Tidal w/ S8 using Internal Hires Driver..

Thanks for the input. I was coming to the same conclusion. Kind of sucks! Do you know if there is a reason for Tidal not to have a driver to play to USB DAC, or if they have plans to develop one?

Jun 10, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #9,308 of 9,526
I couldn't see why they can't. They have the resources...loads of it.

But I think they are just contented on the idea that they have.... getting your money.

Jun 11, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #9,309 of 9,526
Thanks for the input. I was coming to the same conclusion. Kind of sucks! Do you know if there is a reason for Tidal not to have a driver to play to USB DAC, or if they have plans to develop one?
I've used Tidsl to USB DAC on every Android device I've owned. S7, S8, LG V30, LG G6, Samsung prime 3, Razer phone 2. It works like every other Android app, as everything is run through the Android audio stack

Jun 11, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #9,311 of 9,526
I've used Tidsl to USB DAC on every Android device I've owned. S7, S8, LG V30, LG G6, Samsung prime 3, Razer phone 2. It works like every other Android app, as everything is run through the Android audio stack

Interesting. I see you use Dragonfly, and I take it you didn't use any special workaround/setting. Maybe it's the Mojo then? I sent a question to Tidal support.

Jun 11, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #9,312 of 9,526
Interesting. I see you use Dragonfly, and I take it you didn't use any special workaround/setting. Maybe it's the Mojo then? I sent a question to Tidal support.
I've also used mojo. Sorry about your troubles. I have had particular individual devices give me issue, that were supposed to have otg audio capability. It does occur

Jul 20, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #9,313 of 9,526
Hello Guys,

First of all, im new here, so, Hi!

I've got few questions, sorry for my bad English im from Indonesia.

Which is better? Fiio M3K or Topping NX4?

Topping is an DAC/AMP and not DAP/DAC right?

So i have to connect Topping to my computer or Smartphone,
I want to connect it to my Redmi Note 5, but i ever read on the net that Android limits the audio to 24/96? So when i play 24/192 files with Topping connected to my Smartphone, it only play 24/96? Or it play 24/192?

I use Poweramp in my smartphone, 24 Bit 192kHz output setting, no problem.

Does someone have further information about this?
I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Jul 21, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #9,314 of 9,526
Jul 22, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #9,315 of 9,526
How can I check it?

It's usable only with root, but the test is simple. Download a terminal emulator from GPlay - for example Termux. Start and install the necessary components via wifi.
Open Termux and enter
su
dumpsys media.audio_flinger (while playing)
more comfortable version
dumpsys media.audio_flinger >sdcard/flinger.txt
or
dumpsys media.audio_policy >sdcard/policy.txt
The first command will list the audio outputs, the second overall list of audio hardware and output options. Especially Samsung drives everything through a mixer at 48 kHz, while UHQ (Oreo) for headphones is sampling up to 192 kHz.
Then you will be a little sad to find that this data is only an unfulfilled dream on the internal DAC
UAPP.png
Only UAPP and probably Neutron via external DAC bypasses the mixer and plays the bitperfect event resampled according to the settings and options of the external DAC. According to the listings, you can easily see that the internal DAC mixer will not outperform, even if it writes something else on the player panel.
You can use both dumpsys commands more conveniently via ADB under Win or Linux, even more convenient with ADB over Wifi. But that's more study and preparation ...
So I kind of do not understand the enthusiasm over the sound quality via Quobuz, Tidal, MQA and similar paid stream services ...

And of course, if a friend has a DAC with a USB input and a display that shows the current PCM / DSD source type and sample rate, you don't need to do anything.
DX3.jpg UAPP ext DAC.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back