Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 6, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #9,226 of 9,526
Hi
Does anybody have any experience with the Encore MDSD dac. I'm trying to use it with my phone but the sound stutters while listening through Amazon Music.Do others have the same problems or maybe a solution to offer? Without the stutter it would be a great sounding device.

Apr 7, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #9,227 of 9,526
Try increasing buffer size on Settings>USB audio tweaks>Buffer size

I usually set mine at 16384 frames

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #9,228 of 9,526
Hey all, I just recently picked up on an Audio-gd NFB-11.28, which has been working perfectly connected to my PC via USB. Now I tried connecting the Audio-gd to my LG V30 using an OTG cable, and it actually worked. However, it only works for something like 5-10 minutes and then the signal gets completely interrupted with just static. I've tried 2 different OTG cables and it happens no matter what app I use, (LG Music, UAPP, Neutron), they all have the same issue. Has anyone encountered this problem with their set up? It's odd to me that it works every time for a few minutes and then it's all static. I know the Audio-gd's could be finicky with USB drivers, but I figured it that were the problem it wouldn't work at from the beginning.

So has anyone experienced this sudden connection loss with their setup?

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #9,229 of 9,526
Try connecting a powered USB hub on your OTG. And connect your USB DAC on the powered hub.

My V20 requires additional power for my USB DAC. IDK if it's the same for V30 so just try it.

Apr 8, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #9,230 of 9,526
Try connecting a powered USB hub on your OTG. And connect your USB DAC on the powered hub.

My V20 requires additional power for my USB DAC. IDK if it's the same for V30 so just try it.

It worked! Thanks for that suggestion. I actually found your other discussions earlier about it.

My laptop comes with a USB-C adapter hub that has a power pass through to charge the laptop. So I used the hub in place of the OTG cable, basically the hub is my OTG. I've had it playing now for an hour and still going strong. I guess the USB port out of the V30 doesn't have quite enough voltage to maintain a stable connection. Afterwards I tried using various methods in the USB connection options on the phone, but within 10 minutes they all failed as well. I also found an option in the developers settings to use the USB as an audio source, but that didn't work either.

I'm going to continue looking for other options as my purpose was to just have a single simple connection from the phone directly to the amp. Needing to use the hub now adds that plus the charger connection.

Now the other question is whether or not Neutron and UAPP are correctly doing direct USB out on my V30 running Oreo :-/

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #9,231 of 9,526
You're welcome!

The best way if you're dac has a display to confirm the bit/freq rate that is playing.

UAPP displays both the file bit and freq rate, as well as, the bit and freq rate it sends to the dac.

Neutron (as on the last time I used it) displays only the file bit and freq rate. You need the see your dac to confirm the actual rates.

For the hub. I am using this type when I travel. Connect your charger on the Usb-c port and your dac on the usb-a port.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077..._SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=usb+c+hdmi+adapter

61YHcsKEv2L._SL1500_.jpg

My suggestion for UAPP is use Bitperfect ON. It sounds awesome.

So which sound do you prefer? On PC or Android? Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #9,232 of 9,526
Yup that's the same hub I'm using, mine is just an Asus brand.
0408182045.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My Audio-gd doesn't have a display unfortunately, on UAPP it does say USB DAC: "bitrate" as the ouput. But I'm still skeptical because there are bugs with UAPP and Oreo where the USB out Bitperfect options are not working properly. Also I'm having another problem when I set the Hires driver and plug headphones in directly that are high impedance, it lowers the volume down as if it were in auxiliary mode.

I've been testing it all day with 3 different headphones and honestly can't tell any difference between the V30 and PC, and as long as the phone apps are working properly I didn't expect anything different. They are both just sending out unprocessed raw data so they should be identical. Which is good because it seems like everything's being output correctly then.

At home I have the amp and headphones set up on a side table next to my couch, I like to lounge and listen I can't sit at my office desk listening. So if I have to bring over the laptop and charger and HDD it's a pain. I don't think I could haul that around for travel, lol.

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #9,233 of 9,526
Well good luck on your adverture then!

Glad that it's "working".... For now :laughing: :thumbsup:

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #9,234 of 9,526
Hey everyone .. I'm trying to figure out the best way to connect my iFi Micro Black Label (USB-A female) to my smartphone (Samsung S8+) That has USB-C connectivity. I'd prefer a digital connection rather than using the 3.5mm jack.

The iFi Micro Black Label has a USB-A (female) plug on it for digital input

Is there such a cable that goes from USB-C to USB-A (male) ? Or am i going to have to stick with 3.5mm?

Thanks!

May 11, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #9,236 of 9,526
I just bought and received the hidizs sonata hd cable last night and have been randomly playing some high Res or 16 bits flac files. It sounds good over uapp, imaging and details are there. Like it for its price point and size too.
However I noticed android auto default it to charging mode even though I changed it in the developer option to MTP. The connector feel warm to the touch and battery is draining faster. Is this normal?

May 12, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #9,237 of 9,526
Well the cable needs to draw power from the phone to power its headphone amp so I'd say it's normal.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 13, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #9,238 of 9,526
I want to use the Ifi nano iDsd Black label Portable dac and headphone amplifier from my Samsung galaxy S6 android 7 phone using an OTG cable.
In addition to playing music, I also want to Play audible books, using their app.

Will this work?

This works for me using my desktop centrance Dacmini, audible plays
E

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #9,239 of 9,526
I want to use the Ifi nano iDsd Black label Portable dac and headphone amplifier from my Samsung galaxy S6 android 7 phone using an OTG cable.
In addition to playing music, I also want to Play audible books, using their app.

Will this work?

This works for me using my desktop centrance Dacmini, audible plays
E
OK, I purchased this and it works fine for this application

May 17, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #9,240 of 9,526
I use UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) for my external DAC/Amp thru an OTG cable. Neutron MP and HibyMusic (free) also works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back