Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 15, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #8,642 of 9,526
  Just purchased a Fiio Q1 to go with my new Nexus 5x (stock 7.1).

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get it to work over USB.

I come on here for answers and you're telling me I can't do USB audio anymore?

I don't want to root or spend $10 on UAPP just to see if it works.

Absolutely ******* raging.

​I am assuming that you have other USB devices working with your Nexus 5 (such as USB drive), if USB OTG is somehow broken in Android 7.1 on the Nexus then clearly the Q1 is never going to work.

Please remember that the Q1 isn't actually designed for OTG use, this was according to Fiio, so whilst it can work with Android it is by no means guaranteed (it seems like there are no guarantees when it comes to Android and USB audio devices in general). I have issues with the Q1 on two of my Galaxy devices, the only way to get it working was to put a USB hub in between the OTG cable and the Q1 with other Android devices I've had no issues at all so it's hit and miss.

Finally it could just be an issue with the Q1 and Android 7.1.

You can also download a trial of UAPP direct from their website to see if that resolves the issue.

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #8,643 of 9,526
Just a small update :

I was using Oneplus One UAPP + Mojo from last 10 months.
Then i got Hidizs AP60 few days back, and there is no going back.

AP60 + Mojo combo gives better resolution, separation and tonality.

Edit : i always use bit perfect setting in UAPP.

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #8,645 of 9,526
Downloaded the trial.
UAPP whilst good, does not allow me to play tracks offline in Tidal, which is 100% of my music.
Next step is a different OTG cable...

No it won't or it can't play offline tracks from tidal due to DRM protection.

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #8,647 of 9,526
Waiting for this fix as well. Hibymusic is the best player I know, so this bug is very disappointing. When I updated to nougat my OnePlus 3, I've tried UAPP, but it's working pretty bad for me (crashes every 10 or so minutes). So waiting for fixed hibymusic!

That's an issue with aggressive battery 'optimization' in the Nougat update of the OnePlus 3. It just kills off tasks where it sees fit the lower your battery level goes. This doesn't happen with Nougat on any other device.

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #8,648 of 9,526
Is anyone here successfully playing offline music from the native Tidal app, to A USB DAC?

If you can play system audio through your USB DAC then the Tidal native app should also work as it is using the Android system. Tidal can and does work with USB DACs but not all DACs work properly with Android system audio even though they work with UAPP.

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #8,649 of 9,526

Is anyone here successfully playing offline music from the native Tidal app, to A USB DAC?

If you can play system audio through your USB DAC then the Tidal native app should also work as it is using the Android system. Tidal can and does work with USB DACs but not all DACs work properly with Android system audio even though they work with UAPP.

But it will upsample/downsample to 192 Khz by default ..!!

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #8,650 of 9,526
But it will upsample/downsample to 192 Khz by default ..!!

It will resample to whatever the settings in your particular device are set to, this can vary. I think some max out at 96Khz others 192Khz. On a rooted device you could change this to 16/44 but the audio still goes through the Android audio system so I'm not sure it would be bit-perfect.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #8,651 of 9,526
It will resample to whatever the settings in your particular device are set to, this can vary. I think some max out at 96Khz others 192Khz. On a rooted device you could change this to 16/44 but the audio still goes through the Android audio system so I'm not sure it would be bit-perfect.

Playing through Android will probably never be bit-perfect since it utilizes software volume and floating point conversion.

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #8,652 of 9,526
That's an issue with aggressive battery 'optimization' in the Nougat update of the OnePlus 3. It just kills off tasks where it sees fit the lower your battery level goes. This doesn't happen with Nougat on any other device.

Nougat does this by default, but can be adjusted.

Settings - Battery - (three dots) - battery optimisation - (drop down menu) - all apps.

Choose the app you want to "stay alive" and press "don't optimise".

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #8,654 of 9,526
Hello!
I need help in finding a way to make my new Dragonfly Black working with my LG G2. I'm using a custom Android Nougat ROM (AOSP Extended), but the DAC just won't work. It doesn't get recognized by the UAPP as well. I tried to go back to stock, and it works perfectly on stock with UAPP or Hiby, but not with system apps (like youtube or system player). However, I can't stand the stock rom and would really like to find a way to use it with my custom rom. The DAC gets recognized and working with UsbAudioTester, so I suppose there's still hope.
After some research I understood that the problem is probably in poorly configured kernel for USB audio support. If so, is there any ways to fix that (maybe flashing some different kernels)?
I tried installing Viper4Android as I've heard it uses its own audio driver, but it didn't help. Maybe there's some other way to replace the driver?
Will be glad to get any advice.
Thanks.

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #8,655 of 9,526
I'm looking forward to getting my gf's old phone (LG Stylo 2) for USB transport duty, connected to my iFI iDSD Micro. For some reason, my LGV10, though it sounds really nice for a phone, will not play nice with USB Audio Pro. It has, however, worked fine with both DACs I used with it (the Micro and the iBasso D14) running Tidal directly. Of course, the experience is better using the app (my old HTC phone had no such issues). 

Anyway, I'll report back if the pairing works, and which version of Android the phone is running. This assumes, of course, that one wants a bulky, unwieldy Android phone for a transport, lol. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back