Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 21, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #8,611 of 9,526
Ha ha ha...
Hi Doc! Just convinced that Linux/Android is better sounding than Windows (UAPP esp. w/ Bitperfect option). As have noticed from my smartphone setup vs my PC. So tooked it to another level using an Android TV box.

Opted first for Nvidia Shield but at the end chose this Himedia Q10 Pro since it has provision for a 3.5 HD drive:https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EILVHC6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482299738&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=himedia+q10+pro

You could visit the product site at: http://www.himediatech.com

Purchased this box from:http://www.futeko.com. Currently all his boxes are Android 7. However UAPP have UI problems on it so I sticked on Android 5.1. Having 4k video was an added bonus.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #8,612 of 9,526
Ha ha ha...
Hi Doc! Just convinced that Linux/Android is better sounding than Windows (UAPP esp. w/ Bitperfect option). As have noticed from my smartphone setup vs my PC. So tooked it to another level using an Android TV box.

Opted first for Nvidia Shield but at the end chose this Himedia Q10 Pro since it has provision for a 3.5 HD drive:https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EILVHC6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482299738&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=himedia+q10+pro

You could visit the product site at: http://www.himediatech.com

Purchased this box from:http://www.futeko.com. Currently all his boxes are Android 7. However UAPP have UI problems on it so I sticked on Android 5.1. Having 4k video was an added bonus.

Thanks for the post...interesting! It sounds better, huh?
This obviously is not connected to PC, would set up with a TV (my bedroom would be nice; being away from the PC would also be nice). And you buy a hard drive to add to it (sorry if I'm belaboring the point, I'm a computer dodo). It seems like it would stream via wifi, so you could stream from the stuff already on the computer hard drive. Appealing.
(my TV probably isn't good enough to get the benefits of the video part of this set up...)
One of these eons I'm supposed to get a LH Labs Source, so this would probably be redundant, though...

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #8,613 of 9,526
My Android/Mojo/SE846 super mobile rig. Not heard better.

Finally got my Mojo "pimped up" and working exactly as needed without RF interference from streaming over wifi or cellular.

Best portable setup I ever had. Slightly less ergonomic than the Sony ZX2 I used but combining the Mojo with a Z5 mini works great, and the battery life on the Sony set to Stamina mode is great lasting twice as long as the Mojo itself and minimal power drop in standby mode. Also 32GB plus 256GB SD capacity. Z5 is used purely as a source for the Mojo, not as a phone.

Small 7CM USB OTG cable that I fitted a custom ferrite ring around with heat wrap plus thin iron sheet in back of case which together totally eliminate any RF interference I was getting. Only reason I might change now depends on what the Chord Mojo SD adapter ends up being, but unlikely to allow streamed media like a phone.

Use UAPP for stored music (bit perfect setting) but still prefer Spotify Extreme over Tidal for streaming & cheaper than Tidal.

Custom cut carbon fibre effect vinyl to give some scratch protection, ferrite ring around cable

Piece of thin iron sheet in back of case

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #8,614 of 9,526
The Galaxy S3 GT-19305 I was using worked fine with UAPP and my Tralucent DAC on an earlier firmware (unfortunately I cannot remember maybe rock stock), but due to it being second hand there was a ridiculous amount of battery drain, from 100% down to 40% unsed in about 6 hours.

I had already factory reset but decided upgrading the firmware was the only real way. Now on the most current firmware UAPP freezes for about 8 seconds on startup before working normally. I have repeated this several times, after the intial freeze it (so far) works with no issues.

I'm not really looking for a fix as I thought it was stuffed completely, anything is better than nothing. Was only after playing around with it patiently I worked this out.

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #8,616 of 9,526
  So, I've been trying to connect my Nexus 7 2013 to a Gustard U12 via OTG, and the Nexus does not recognize it at all. I've tried restarting the tablet, restarting the U12 etc, but no luck. Anyone know of some trick that might help?

I have the LTE version. Although I haven't used it with a DAC for several months, it did work with USBAPP, probably still does.
I believe that if you go to their web site they offer a free trial that you can side load.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #8,617 of 9,526
Anyone know why my Galaxy S3 with Hiby is stuttering or skipping during playback after a few minutes? It sounds similar to a buffer issue but I can't see anywhere to adjust that? May also be some strange unwanted process running in the background?

Once it starts skipping it doesn't go away until I restart the phone, but only good again for about a minute afterwards.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #8,618 of 9,526
-even on mp3s or 16/44 flac files?
-closed all other running files
-what is your DAC btw? (Edit: saw it...)
-maybe ur playing higher bit rate files that ur device could not support (higher than 24/96)?

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #8,619 of 9,526
So, I've been trying to connect my Nexus 7 2013 to a Gustard U12 via OTG, and the Nexus does not recognize it at all. I've tried restarting the tablet, restarting the U12 etc, but no luck. Anyone know of some trick that might help?

As they say try UAPP or HibyMusic.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #8,620 of 9,526
-even on mp3s or 16/44 flac files?
-closed all other running files
-what is your DAC btw?
-maybe ur playing higher bit rate files that ur device could support?

Yeah, 16/44 FLAC files and my Tralucent DacAmp One. I'm in a mess atm, ever since I updated the S3 to it's last recent firmware all these little compatibility issues with UAPP and Hiby using the Tralucent DacAmp popped up, im guessing the DAC model is having some say in this. I'm being a total cheap ass trying not to buy a used S4 which I've had much better luck with on two S4 devices.

Wearing me down slowly....

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #8,621 of 9,526
I'm curious about these USB Dac's. I just bought a ZTE ZMAX 2 with Dolby Digital Plus from Newegg for $109.99 Canadian. I'll let you know what the sound quality is like this week without a USB DAC. Anyone know a good USB DAC though?

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #8,622 of 9,526
Yeah, 16/44 FLAC files and my Tralucent DacAmp One. I'm in a mess atm, ever since I updated the S3 to it's last recent firmware all these little compatibility issues with UAPP and Hiby using the Tralucent DacAmp popped up, im guessing the DAC model is having some say in this. I'm being a total cheap ass trying not to buy a used S4 which I've had much better luck with on two S4 devices.

Wearing me down slowly....

It happened to me twice on my Note 3 when I upgraded its firmware. My DAC will not function anymore to my phone.

On the second time, said to myself that I will not upgrade the phone anymore. Lucky me it was the last.

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #8,623 of 9,526
Hi all.
I've been searching a while into here the last days to know if my Galaxy S4 was able or not to play via USB over a Fiio E07K. Sadly I saw it wasn't. But I wanted to give it a try and I just wanted to say to those interested you can do it. At least...: you currently can maybe because of the updates.
I'm using Neutron player (last version) and my Android is the 5.0.1 version.
What I did was to enable "docking station" and "external speakers" in Settings, Device, Accessories.
Inside Neutron, I went to Settings, Audio Hardware: I enabled "Direct USB Driver".

I'll test it further with more kind of Flac files and let you know, if you'd like.

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #8,624 of 9,526
Can anyone compare the various Geek Out V2 versions in regards to how they work with Android (and SQ)? Is the V2 Infinity that much better? BTW, I drive all full size headphones and a lot of planars.

Also, has anyone used an LG Stylo 2 as a dac? I just got my gf a new phone, and she's giving me her old one as a music player (replaceable battery and microSD card compatability).

Thanks!

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #8,625 of 9,526
The guys over at Computer Audiophile wrote quite a comprehensive article about Android and DACs (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/735-audiophile-switches-ios-android/), laying out the many issues they bumped into trying to get a bit perfect output at good volume from Android.

The whole article is worth a read, although most of the content is old news for followers of this thread
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back