Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 8, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #8,581 of 9,526
So I picked up a Pixel XL and boy, has it messed up my DAC setup.
Jump to the Pixel and Nougat. Hiby no longer recognizes the mDSD or the mDAC. There is no popup screen. ES File Explorer still shows a USB device connected, but there's no familiar Hiby connection popup. The mDSD still works with Android USB System Audio, but that means no native DSD or DoP playback. The mDAC, surprisingly, doesn't even interface with Android USB System Audio. Go figure. Both still work with UAPP however, with the traditional UAPP popup, upon connection.

I hope Hiby fixes their USB DAC connection notifier for Nougat, otherwise, I'll have to deal with UAPP's DSD issues on certain tracks with my mDSD.

EDIT: Just A/B'ed the Pixel XL 3.5mm jack vs the mDSD. No contest, mDSD destroys whatever internal DAC is in the Pixel XL.

You may need to select "Audio Source" in the "Select USB Configuration" section of the developer options to get system USB audio to work. I haven't found the Pixel XL headphone out to be that bad when playing files stored internally. Streaming goes very wrong though. A software fix is seriously needed. Strangely, streaming audio sounds fine when output from USB.

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #8,582 of 9,526
You may need to select "Audio Source" in the "Select USB Configuration" section of the developer options to get system USB audio to work. I haven't found the Pixel XL headphone out to be that bad when playing files stored internally. Streaming goes very wrong though. A software fix is seriously needed. Strangely, streaming audio sounds fine when output from USB.

Just tried switching the option in dev options. No change.

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #8,583 of 9,526
Too bad. It seems Google changed up the way USB audio works for Nougat. This may drive me to a custom rom down the road. I take back what I said about the headphone output being bad for streaming. It's just Soundcloud.

In the mean time, it would be nice to have a quality but small DAC/Amp that works with everything in Android 7.1. The Mojo doesn't either.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #8,584 of 9,526
Smoke test? Sounds illegal!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nope, it's only illegal if when you throw the power switch, you burn someone's house down. No contraband is used. You been listening to Jimi Hendrix lately?
tongue.gif
 He put his guitar on fire.

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #8,585 of 9,526
Can you guys recommend some android apps.
I have tried several apps and here're my reviews:
- UAPP: Too much clear sound, sounds too separated.
- Onkyo HF (free, play flac only): a little dark, more balance than UAPP.
- Hiby: Nice sound, I think the best. But crackling noise and pops appear when playing after minutes. Sent them feedback and hope they can fix in future versions.

Device: Samsung Note 4 5.1.1
DAC/Amp: Chord Mojo

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #8,586 of 9,526
Dec 11, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #8,587 of 9,526
  NeutronMP: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.neutroncode.mp&hl=en

Enable USB Audio/DoP under Audio Hardware, be sure Mojo is connected when enabling it.

I just tried Neutron eval. Turned off everything, resampling standard (bitrate from song anyway so this shouldn't effect), 64-bit off. Still heard crackling noise (sometimes, less frequent than Hibymusic), but always heard when pausing. Sound quality good, I think it sounds same as Hiby, seems clean. Just emailing Neutron to see if anything could help with crackling noise.

Dec 11, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #8,588 of 9,526
  I just tried Neutron eval. Turned off everything, resampling standard (bitrate from song anyway so this shouldn't effect), 64-bit off. Still heard crackling noise (sometimes, less frequent than Hibymusic), but always heard when pausing. Sound quality good, I think it sounds same as Hiby, seems clean. Just emailing Neutron to see if anything could help with crackling noise.

Perhaps it's not the software but a hardware problem. A wire? Are you using the same IEM/headphone? Did you try your Mojo setup on another source? I hope you sort this out so you can spend your time listening instead of sleuthing.

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #8,589 of 9,526
When I got that kind of cliking sound (I used to describe it as very scratchy vinyl), sometimes it had to do with sampling in settings (don't remember the details, maybe someone more knowledgeble can give more help in that direction).

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #8,590 of 9,526
  Perhaps it's not the software but a hardware problem. A wire? Are you using the same IEM/headphone? Did you try your Mojo setup on another source? I hope you sort this out so you can spend your time listening instead of sleuthing.

I think it's software problem because while I used UAPP/Onkyo HF there are no crackling noise/pops.
When I got that kind of cliking sound (I used to describe it as very scratchy vinyl), sometimes it had to do with sampling in settings (don't remember the details, maybe someone more knowledgeble can give more help in that direction).

May be, I will try to check sampling, but I used only 44.1 and Mojo led also said it playing 44.1 so I think there are no resampling.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #8,591 of 9,526
On my experience, I upped the buffers (if there is).

There was an instance when it wass pre Android 4.22 when had these issues (doubt you have an old OS).

Have you ticked all three?

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #8,592 of 9,526
I wasn't aware of the bit perfect setting in UAPP until today, made quite a difference with a Galaxy S3 I'm using. 

Turn that on if you haven't already.

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #8,593 of 9,526
Nice eh? The nuances.....
biggrin.gif

It has Native DSD and SACD-ISO support too, if you are not still aware of.

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #8,594 of 9,526
  As you have already established, those OTG checker apps aren't entirely reliable. I think it is safe to say that if you have 'any' USB device working with your J3 then the J3 does support USB OTG and as such the problem is with the combination of J3 and Mojo. I hate to say it but I don't think trying new cables will make any difference to the correct working of the Mojo.

Coming to the same conclusion; I have tried two other OTG cables, have tried a powered USB hub as well, all with the same disappointing result of crackling sound, like somebody else described as listening to a record with dust on the vinyl. So the Samsung J3 (2016) and the Chord Mojo are not a good combination. On top of that, the specific version of my phone is hard to root, so not going to try. Hopefully the Mojo will work with the Mini Cool 2.45, which I expect in a few weeks to arrive.  To be continued...

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #8,595 of 9,526
Best bet is bring your USB DAC along with OTG cables in the mall and test your potential smartphone(s).

If it works natively good chances are it works with the other USB Audio apps.

Then buy the phone in an online store like Amazon for discounts and return policies (in case it doesn't work).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back