Android phones and USB DACs
Sep 19, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #8,356 of 9,526
  Connecting my Galaxy S6 to a Fiio Q1 (via OTG), I've noticed that the volume control on the phone still works (I'm not using any app at the moment, just native OS).  

Firstly, shouldn't the volume control on the phone be bypassed in this case?  

Second, I understand that many adjust the source volume to around 75% (or just below max) when using an external app.  Does this same rule apply to the "digital" volume control that's going on when connecting to an external DAC?  In other words, should I set the phone volume to 100% in this case?

Yes, set the digital volume to 100%.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #8,357 of 9,526
  Connecting my Galaxy S6 to a Fiio Q1 (via OTG), I've noticed that the volume control on the phone still works (I'm not using any app at the moment, just native OS).  

Firstly, shouldn't the volume control on the phone be bypassed in this case?  

Second, I understand that many adjust the source volume to around 75% (or just below max) when using an external app.  Does this same rule apply to the "digital" volume control that's going on when connecting to an external DAC?  In other words, should I set the phone volume to 100% in this case?

This seems to be normal for Android devices. The volume buttons seem to provide some sort of software volume control within Android itself. The internal DAC on the Q1 also has an internal power level from 0-127 (not the same as the amp output volume as it is a digital setting) and Android sets that to 127 as soon as you connect it, the phone volume buttons don't control the DAC power output at all. I always set the Android volume to 100% and just use the volume pot on the Q1 to control the final output. I haven't found any need to adjust the DAC power setting and I'm not sure why you'd need (and it's only possible on a rooted device).

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #8,358 of 9,526

Yes, set the digital volume to 100%.

This seems to be normal for Android devices. The volume buttons seem to provide some sort of software volume control within Android itself. The internal DAC on the Q1 also has an internal power level from 0-127 (not the same as the amp output volume as it is a digital setting) and Android sets that to 127 as soon as you connect it, the phone volume buttons don't control the DAC power output at all. I always set the Android volume to 100% and just use the volume pot on the Q1 to control the final output. I haven't found any need to adjust the DAC power setting and I'm not sure why you'd need (and it's only possible on a rooted device).

Thank you both.  I'll max out the volume on the phone.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #8,359 of 9,526

Thank you both.  I'll max out the volume on the phone.

Some apps will increase the gain of certain frequencies when using EQ which may cause clipping when the volume is maxed. Some of these (Neutron) have a preamp setting that you can prevent such problems.

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #8,360 of 9,526
  Some apps will increase the gain of certain frequencies when using EQ which may cause clipping when the volume is maxed. Some of these (Neutron) have a preamp setting that you can prevent such problems.

Thanks for the heads up.  I do see that Samsung has an EQ which I have disabled.  I don't see one for Spotify (my primary app for listening), so hopefully there won't be any clipping.

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #8,361 of 9,526

Thanks for the heads up.  I do see that Samsung has an EQ which I have disabled.  I don't see one for Spotify (my primary app for listening), so hopefully there won't be any clipping.

For example, when I've used Parametric EQ to give a big boost to bass or sub bass on Neutron I experienced clipping on bass notes. I had to turn down the preamp gain a little to prevent clipping. I've had similar things happen with USBAPP and others.
Which Samsung device are you using?

Sep 20, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #8,362 of 9,526
  For example, when I've used Parametric EQ to give a big boost to bass or sub bass on Neutron I experienced clipping on bass notes. I had to turn down the preamp gain a little to prevent clipping. I've had similar things happen with USBAPP and others.
Which Samsung device are you using?

I'm using a Galaxy S6.  OTG surprisingly worked immediately.  Even though Android is doing some upsampling, I have noticed a sound improvement.

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #8,363 of 9,526
And my new cheap Lenovo Moto G4 (Android M 6.01)works like a charm with Fiio E-07K through UAPP. Force 1 packet per transfer> check, buffer size 200ms.
Update: Cheap Samsung J5 (Android M) works like a charm through UAPP with Fiio E-07K with default settings, no tweaks checked.

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #8,364 of 9,526
I'm a little confused - 

I have a Chord Mojo with me.

Works perfectly fine out of my S7 Edge, straight out of the box, with any audio app (including Spotify, etc)

But, it refuses to talk to my Note 7 at all. 

Has anyone had any success connecting a Note 7 to a DAC (via USB Type-C)?

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #8,365 of 9,526
even with UAPP it doesn't work?

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #8,366 of 9,526
Found the issue. The Note 7 comes with a few different USB type C adapters, and only one allows for USB audio.

Solved! Note 7 and Chord Mojo work very well together. No UAPP or anything else required. Even streaming apps work fine. Success.

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #8,367 of 9,526
Question, does it passes through to your Mojo the exact bits? 24/192 is 24/192 and DSD128 is DSD128 for example.

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #8,368 of 9,526
I just got an HTC 10 (tried the Samsunt S7, didn't like it. Had the HTC One M8 before, like the UI better on the 10). Didn't go through this whole thread, and I haven't tried to connect the 10 to outside gear yet, but has anyone had any experience?

Sep 29, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #8,369 of 9,526
I just got an HTC 10 (tried the Samsunt S7, didn't like it. Had the HTC One M8 before, like the UI better on the 10). Didn't go through this whole thread, and I haven't tried to connect the 10 to outside gear yet, but has anyone had any experience?

Curious: what didn't you like about the S7? I have the S5 and like it, but will need to upgrade someday, so maybe I will consider the HTC 10.

p.s. if you're looking for an affordable/great DAC for your phone, consider the ZuperDAC.

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #8,370 of 9,526

Curious: what didn't you like about the S7? I have the S5 and like it, but will need to upgrade someday, so maybe I will consider the HTC 10.

p.s. if you're looking for an affordable/great DAC for your phone, consider the ZuperDAC.

Hey, Wayne!
I can't say the S7 is bad, just didn't feel comfortable for me. The UI is a bit clunky, apps kept appearing and disappearing on the screens, the battery ran down more quickly than I thought it should. Again, I'm coming from an HTC phone, so the changes, while not earth shattering, made it not as natural to me. I also hated the sound of the phone (used as a phone), but the HTC doesn't sound any better :mad:
The HTC does sound better if you play stuff through the built in speakers, though (though it isn't going to replace anyone's stereo). And, it sounds better through headphones than the S7 (though using an external DAC/Amp will negate any advantage here).
just my impressions, everyone in the Verizon store thought I was crazy, preferred the Samsung. Getting old to change my habits, I guess, comfortable with the UI on the HTC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back