Android phones and USB DACs
Sep 9, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #8,341 of 9,526
Yup this one's a keeper...I like to know what it really means bit perfect by their standards. But we rubbed unicorn dust and fairy poo into our software designers hair would do.. I like it a lot.... Another reason to run Usb audio pro from android...
It's given me that...I have to relisten to my music again feeling....

:sunglasses:

It's either bit perfect or not, there is nothing in between like 'our standards'. It simply means that the audio that is present in the audio file is sent unaffected to the DAC. Of course this does not apply to compressed audio, like mp3, but holds for wav and flac and other lossless audio.
Without the bit-perfect option enabled, all audio that is read from the file is converted to 32-bit floating point and then converted to the appropriate 16/24/32 bit integer format when sending to the DAC. This leads to an error for about 20 or so out of 16.7 million values that are 1 bit 'off'. Although you wouldn't hear that amplitude change, it might distort high frequency content a little. Most people won't hear it though.

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #8,342 of 9,526
Darn, had a feeling that would be the answer. So no Google Play Music (primary app I use). Unfortunately that means it goes back. Have used UAPP before, and it works great. I just don't carry a music collection around with me nor do I want to.

Google Play Music streaming can be fed through to UAPP if you use in conjunction with BubbleUPNP

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #8,343 of 9,526
I didn't mean anything by that:blush: Just a general question what that is.... It's made a really nice change to my music and it's a big thank you from me for it... It was up sampling or nothing before...Now its re energised my music running Bit perfect option in the app.
Getting more for free out of my Mr speakers ETHERs..
Keep up the good work. ..

Cheers
Dave

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #8,345 of 9,526
The new ZTE Axon 7 Android phone is on sale for $277 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01FUF1EL8

***ships within 3 to 5 weeks

1. The Best sounding and listening smartphone with hifi audio - highest Quality sound reproduction and amplification of music/video playback and record.

I know nothing about it other than lots of cellphone users have been waiting for this to finally be released.
And it's supposedly got some nice audio features built-in.
Don't buy it if you want to run CyanogenMOD though.  I don't see that coming anytime soon.

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #8,346 of 9,526

[COLOR=C45500] ***ships within 3 to 5 weeks[/COLOR]

1. [COLOR=111111]The Best sounding and listening smartphone with hifi audio - highest Quality sound reproduction and amplification of music/video playback and record.

[/color]

I know nothing about it other than lots of cellphone users have been waiting for this to finally be released.
Don't buy it if you want to run CyanogenMOD though.  I don't see that coming anytime soon.

Has anyone compared this to the LG V10?

The V10 is the best-sounding phone I've yet heard.

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #8,347 of 9,526

[COLOR=C45500] ***ships within 3 to 5 weeks[/COLOR]

1. [COLOR=111111]The Best sounding and listening smartphone with hifi audio - highest Quality sound reproduction and amplification of music/video playback and record.

[/color]

The new LG V20 looks to sound even better than the V10.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #8,350 of 9,526
The Galaxy S7/S7 Edge does not support USB audio. For anyone interested in the S7, keep in mind you won't be able to use a portable dac w/ it. This is w/ the stock Touchwiz rom. Maybe it'll work with root.

I've been off the site for awhile but wanted to dispel this statement. Not true. Using S7 Edge, Oppo HA-2, UAAP with no issues.

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #8,351 of 9,526

I've been off the site for awhile but wanted to dispel this statement. Not true. Using S7 Edge, Oppo HA-2, UAAP with no issues.

Exactly, using UAPP. Everything supports USB Audio when using UAPP. What previous poster meant was "S7 won't support USB Audio out of the box".

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #8,352 of 9,526
  Exactly, using UAPP. Everything supports USB Audio when using UAPP. What previous poster meant was "S7 won't support USB Audio out of the box".

Even that statement isn't true though as I have used several USB DAC/Amp setups with the S7E straight out of the box without the need for UAPP. UAPP is the better option as it gives full control over the sample rates allowing bit perfect playback but in each case the DAC/Amp changed the sound quality/signature and provided the benefit of the Amp section. The suggestion was that USB audio simply doesn't work at all with the S7 which is factually incorrect.

Fiio Q1
iBasso D14
Topping NX2
Asus Xonar U3
Unbranded USB sound card (not even sure where this came from)
Dragonfly Black & Red (issues with volume as known with Android)
I'm sure the Modi2 also worked with the use of a powered hub (although that could have been with my Galaxy S5 or Moto G, definitely one of the Android phones though).

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #8,354 of 9,526

I was gonna get that phone, I have the V10 now. But I heard disturbing reports of weak cell reception both on ATT and Tmo and even on Wi-Fi, so I scrapped the idea.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #8,355 of 9,526
Connecting my Galaxy S6 to a Fiio Q1 (via OTG), I've noticed that the volume control on the phone still works (I'm not using any app at the moment, just native OS).  

Firstly, shouldn't the volume control on the phone be bypassed in this case?  

Second, I understand that many adjust the source volume to around 75% (or just below max) when using an external app.  Does this same rule apply to the "digital" volume control that's going on when connecting to an external DAC?  In other words, should I set the phone volume to 100% in this case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back