Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 4, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #8,281 of 9,526
A while back, I had a question about if it were possible to charge a phone while using a usb dac with a hub with power input.

Now that USB C is available on several phones, such as the Galaxy note 7, but also the LG G5 and HTC 10, would those devices be able to accept charge while outputting usb audio if a usb type c hub was made accepting power input and usb otg output?

Sorry if this has already been answered

Thanks

Aug 4, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #8,282 of 9,526
Yea the XDuoo XD-05, appears more for mobile PC usage than actual phone use. Not only does it have a full size usb port forcing a clunky connection but also the 1/4 jack tells you it is intended for full size cans and not IEMs. Still, thanks for posting it b/c it is always good to get a better idea of what the options are.

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #8,283 of 9,526
Hi. This may have been asked and answered previously in this thread, and if it has, please accept my apologies for not searching through almost 600 pages of posts to find the answer.

I am currently running a Moto G3 with an Audioquest Dragonfly Red. When streaming from Tidal at home via Wi-Fi I use UAPP but much to my disappointment UAPP doesn't work with Tidal in offline mode. I disable UAPP for when I am out and about but I am unable to get the Tidal feed to the Dragonfly. With headphones plugged directly into the Moto G3's headphone jack there is no problem getting the Tidal feed but the sound quality is objectionable.

My question is this. How do I get my Tidal offline feed to play through my Dragonfly?

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #8,284 of 9,526
Hi. This may have been asked and answered previously in this thread, and if it has, please accept my apologies for not searching through almost 600 pages of posts to find the answer.

I am currently running a Moto G3 with an Audioquest Dragonfly Red. When streaming from Tidal at home via Wi-Fi I use UAPP but much to my disappointment UAPP doesn't work with Tidal in offline mode. I disable UAPP for when I am out and about but I am unable to get the Tidal feed to the Dragonfly. With headphones plugged directly into the Moto G3's headphone jack there is no problem getting the Tidal feed but the sound quality is objectionable.

My question is this. How do I get my Tidal offline feed to play through my Dragonfly?

USB Host is not enabled on Your phone by default. Download the USB Host check app (here) to verify whether this is the case. If Your device is rooted You may be able to fix that using the app. Worked for my phone (Galaxy S5 Neo)

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #8,285 of 9,526
A while back, I had a question about if it were possible to charge a phone while using a usb dac with a hub with power input.

Now that USB C is available on several phones, such as the Galaxy note 7, but also the LG G5 and HTC 10, would those devices be able to accept charge while outputting usb audio if a usb type c hub was made accepting power input and usb otg output?

Sorry if this has already been answered

Thanks

They say a DELL 470-ABES will do the trick. But expensive. Haven't tried it but those who says it works.

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #8,286 of 9,526

USB Host is not enabled on Your phone by default. Download the USB Host check app (here) to verify whether this is the case. If Your device is rooted You may be able to fix that using the app. Worked for my phone (Galaxy S5 Neo)

USB Host Check does indeed indicate that USB Host is not enabled on my device, which is not rooted.

I don't quite understand this as when I use UAPP there are no issues using any USB device. Does UAPP and other players somehow render USB Host enabling unessecary?

On top of all that, suddenly and most bizarrely, I can now get my Tidal offline feed to Dragonfly Red. I didn't change any settings although I did check a few in developers mode. Another peculiar thing, my Dragonfly Red's sampling indicator indicates that the feed from Tidal is 24/96 which of course it isn't. Is this Android up-sampling? My Moto is on Marshmallow. This might explain why the sound quality,while somewhat better than direct from the phone's output, it is not as good as I am used to hearing from the Red.

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #8,287 of 9,526
USB Host Check does indeed indicate that USB Host is not enabled on my device, which is not rooted.

I don't quite understand this as when I use UAPP there are no issues using any USB device. Does UAPP and other players somehow render USB Host enabling unessecary?

On top of all that, suddenly and most bizarrely, I can now get my Tidal offline feed to Dragonfly Red. I didn't change any settings although I did check a few in developers mode. Another peculiar thing, my Dragonfly Red's sampling indicator indicates that the feed from Tidal is 24/96 which of course it isn't. Is this Android up-sampling? My Moto is on Marshmallow. This might explain why the sound quality,while somewhat better than direct from the phone's output, it is not as good as I am used to hearing from the Red.

UAPP works because it uses its own usb driver. Tidal uses the system one which has to be enabled first.

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #8,289 of 9,526
  http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-opus-opus-11/reviews/16567

This thing works great with my Note 4.

That looks great for iem usage, thanks for sharing.

Considering you're one of the fathers of Android-Dapping (I think I just made up a word), what dac/amp or amp is your top choice for more power-hungry cans? I know you were keen on the Mojo for awhile, as was I, before I scaled down my collection. My LGV10 sounds really nice in high-gain mode, so a nice portable, stackable portable amp might be all I need.

Thanks again.

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #8,290 of 9,526

That looks great for iem usage, thanks for sharing.

Considering you're one of the fathers of Android-Dapping (I think I just made up a word), what dac/amp or amp is your top choice for more power-hungry cans? I know you were keen on the Mojo for awhile, as was I, before I scaled down my collection. My LGV10 sounds really nice in high-gain mode, so a nice portable, stackable portable amp might be all I need.

Thanks again.

I loved the COZOY Aegis but it had no battery. This does and sounds great.
For IEM and Over ear it would be Mojo or iDSD micro<<<My pref. For IEM only? This is the one I was looking for.

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #8,291 of 9,526
I will take a look at the Audio-Opus OPUS #11, it sounds like a great fit for what I am looking for in that it is targeted at IEMs. Any links of where to buy and pricing?

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #8,292 of 9,526
  I will take a look at the Audio-Opus OPUS #11, it sounds like a great fit for what I am looking for in that it is targeted at IEMs. Any links of where to buy and pricing?

There is a link in the video description.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #8,293 of 9,526

There is a link in the video description.
smily_headphones1.gif

I looked on the site; however, while it has a description of the product there is no price or indication of where or how to buy it. I also found it on this other site here but same issue: http://www.audio-opus.com/?page_id=16003

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #8,294 of 9,526
I just bought a Fiio E18 Kunlun DAC and I have a Galaxy Note 4 running Marshmallow. I am having a hard time getting this to work. I can get the DAC to work with my retina MacBook Pro using the regular usb to micro usb. However, when trying to play Spotify and Pandora it is garbled and distorted. It does work with the Hiby Music player.

Any thoughts?

I also tried my wife's moto x pure edition running marshmallow and the same thing happened....

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #8,295 of 9,526
I just bought a Fiio E18 Kunlun DAC and I have a Galaxy Note 4 running Marshmallow. I am having a hard time getting this to work. I can get the DAC to work with my retina MacBook Pro using the regular usb to micro usb. However, when trying to play Spotify and Pandora it is garbled and distorted. It does work with the Hiby Music player.

Any thoughts?

I also tried my wife's moto x pure edition running marshmallow and the same thing happened....

Does the same issue occur when using USB Audio Player Pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back