Android phones and USB DACs
Oct 29, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #7,321 of 9,526

so the s4 powers the sabre, while being Qi charged?

Quote:

Yep, it's perfectly set up.  Put it in the dock...plug in the DAC...Tasker will autoplay my music.

Interesting, like aznpos531 said, I too thought Qi + OTG would work, if it doesn't work with the Nexus5, I doubt it will work with any phone.

it works with the S4 apparently. Nexus 5 charges with OTG-with-power (otg-y/dock etc) but you may need to make the nexus5 connection last after the DAC has been powered by your otg-power source

edit: I use battery packs with usb power even when in the car as switching off ignition or starting the engine zeroes the voltage to the 12v socket (or voltage drops too low due to starter motor) and the 5v out dies. When this happens my Nexus5 often bricks until I unclip the battery connected and re-attach. I've modified the motherboard plate to let me do this without taking that plastic plate off. 

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #7,322 of 9,526
So the OTG function is shut off while charging. How disappointing...

It depends on your phone.

Samsung phones could act as USB host, interwork with the USB DAC acting as USB peripheral, and draw power from an external battery or another external power supply.
Samsung design engineers use a standard USB concept (i.e. USB ACA), but they don’t use standard USB ACA resistor values.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2580#post_9598490
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6570#post_11497498
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2595#post_9601384

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #7,323 of 9,526
it works with the S4 apparently. Nexus 5 charges with OTG-with-power (otg-y/dock etc) but you may need to make the nexus5 connection last after the DAC has been powered by your otg-power source

edit: I use battery packs with usb power even when in the car as switching off ignition or starting the engine zeroes the voltage to the 12v socket (or voltage drops too low due to starter motor) and the 5v out dies. When this happens my Nexus5 often bricks until I unclip the battery connected and re-attach. I've modified the motherboard plate to let me do this without taking that plastic plate off. 

It depends on your phone.

Samsung phones could act as USB host, interwork with the USB DAC acting as USB peripheral, and draw power from an external battery or another external power supply.
Samsung design engineers use a standard USB concept (i.e. USB ACA), but they don’t use standard USB ACA resistor values.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2580#post_9598490
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6570#post_11497498
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2595#post_9601384

I happen to have the Samsung S4 so I guess I'll get the OTG dock and see if it works. If not I'll get the Qi dock and see if it works. That that fails then I guess I'm SOL :rolleyes:

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #7,324 of 9,526
Micro USB Host OTG Y-cable with micro USB power charging for Samsung phones:
http://shop.valarm.net/products/micro-usb-host-otg-y-cable-with-micro-usb-power-for-samsung

"Confirmed, Supported Devices:
Galaxy S4 (tested SHG-537)
..."

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #7,326 of 9,526
Has anyone yet seen anything about USB C audio adapter cables?  I assume it's just a matter of time, and I hope the new format allows a bit more built in flexibility with signals travelling both ways.

As opposed USB C OTG cables? I see Google selling those in the Play Store.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #7,328 of 9,526

Thanks

Sometimes (rarely) when I connect the USB stick to the Y cable and set the charging (via wall charger or an external battery pack), the charging indication indicates charging. Although in practice the phone does not charge and the battery keeps depleting.

BTW. does someone here uses the LAVA SimulCharge adapter?

Thanks again

I'm using the LAVA STS-3U .  Originally with a Tab S 8.4 mounted in my car...I use it with a powered usb hub that is connected to a behringer uca 202 DAC and 2 HID devices. Held charge at 100% with screen on full blast and audio streaming... etc...

I have since swapped the Tab S 8.4 for a Tab S2 8.0 and that also works great with the STS-3U.  I swapped because I couldn't get my XMOS based SMSL X-USB to work with the S. It works great with the S2 though.

I now have a tablet that gets charged and can output in native android at 192KHz 24bit.

This Tab S2 seems to up-convert everything to 192/24...ie RDIO , TUNEIN etc..the SMSL displays what it receives from USB , and in native android it is always 192!

When i use UAPP, the SMSL reports exactly what the flac's bit rate is....ie 44.1/88.2/96/176.4/192...the optical out goes to my ppi dpi-88r dsp processor...which has no problem accepting optical 192.

Sorry to sidetrack from your question, but what is the Tab S2 Android audio sub-system doing?

When I use Gonemad player to play a 96Khz/24bit flac, I assume Gonemad decompresses the flac and sends the output to the android audio system. from there it gets up-sampled to 192kHz (as my SMSL shows on its display)and sent out to the DAC? If this is the case, then I am getting the true quality out of the flac and native android...there would be no need for UAPP.

How can i test and find out what is really happening?

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #7,329 of 9,526
  Interesting, like aznpos531 said, I too thought Qi + OTG would work, if it doesn't work with the Nexus5, I doubt it will work with any phone.

Herein lies the crux of the issue, we're finally coming to a point in technology where people are trying to replace their desktop PCs with phones.
Everyone knows this was going to happen, nobody knows exactly when. At some point phones will completely replace desktop PCs, and dock into monitor/keyboard/mice stations.

Unfortunately, phone hardware manufacturers aren't on the same page. A basic function of any electronic multi-purpose device, is to have peripherals connected (input/output devices) for the end user. One ubiquitous device is the DAC, aka soundcard, the topic of discussion in this thread.

It's a shame phones don't have the capability to charge while having essential peripherals also operating at the same time. Trust me though, it will happen, most likely sooner than later.

We are a lonnnng long way from this happening. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #7,330 of 9,526
At least for tablets,it seems we are going backwards as far a multimedia docking stations and such.

I remember the early Motorola and samsung tablets had powered docking station with multiple usb, hdmi and audio out. I had a Toshiba 7.7 with an awesome dock 3 years ago. Good luck finding any tabs now with this.

The focus on cloud and wireless connections has shifted the emphasis away from them.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #7,331 of 9,526
I use Samsung S3 on Android 5.1.1 (CM 12.1) with Chord Mojo.
It works fine with the Onkyo App (which has custom USB Audio driver similar to USN Audio Player Pro).
I cannot however mak it work with any standard music apps (Tidal, Rocekt Plyer etc.)
This atricle:
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/Android5USB.html
suggests it should be possible since Google added USB audio driver to Android 5.
Any idea what may the problem?

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #7,332 of 9,526
  I use Samsung S3 on Android 5.1.1 (CM 12.1) with Chord Mojo.
It works fine with the Onkyo App (which has custom USB Audio driver similar to USN Audio Player Pro).
I cannot however mak it work with any standard music apps (Tidal, Rocekt Plyer etc.)
This atricle:
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/Android5USB.html
suggests it should be possible since Google added USB audio driver to Android 5.
Any idea what may the problem?

When you connect at USB DAC to the phone the Onkyo HF Player asks if you want to connect the USB output to the app. Did you set it to do so by default? That could be the problem.

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #7,333 of 9,526
  When you connect at USB DAC to the phone the Onkyo HF Player asks if you want to connect the USB output to the app. Did you set it to do so by default? That could be the problem

No, I didn't. It keeps on asking me each time. Any idea what else may be a problem?
Is there anyone here with Samsung Galaxy S3 working with Mojo without custom USB audio driver app (Onkyo / UAPP) ?

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #7,334 of 9,526
Just got a TEAC HA-P50. No OTG cable or whatever required plays perfectly via standard USB from Sony Z3C  using Music (previously known as Walkman) app. Likewise iPod Classic vie standard cable.

Just plug and go; no hassle.

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #7,335 of 9,526
What's not so clever is the fact it charges the phone at the same time thereby depleting it's own battery. It can be charged itself at the same time but it's not ideal.

I suppose this is one reason they're going cheap?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back