Android phones and USB DACs
Oct 27, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #7,306 of 9,526
  Correct, as is airplane mode

I think someone in the Mojo thread mentioned that the interference really occurs on 2G and is not noticeable really on 3G/LTE.
I do get some WiFi interference with my DX100 DAP so I am not surprised that the phones being so heavy weave generators may impact the audio signal.

I never got any interference with my Note II on the Mojo. I didn't set the phone to Airplane Mode and received all the usual push message and downloaded updates etc all the while. 

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #7,307 of 9,526
For all you guys trying to power your device while using USB OTG why not look into those wireless charging adapters.......
........ I would assume something like a wireless charger would be able to take on the same responsibility as the dock connector I use. So I would look into that. Probably not the cheapest option unless your device has wireless charging built-in but it's worth looking into.

Qi (wireless) charging is completely inactivated on my Nexus5 when the OTG cable is inserted. This is by design I think. Not sure about other phones/tablets.

Though the phone can charge while providing power to the phone's internals, and seems to accept a charge through the USB while OTG-Y is plugged in (if connected in correct order) I think there is a hardware limitation in Qi charging while OTG-Y cable is connected.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #7,311 of 9,526
Have any of you tried those OTG charging docks like this or OTG charging cables like this? I'm thinking of getting one to see if I can get it to work with some home-use DACs.

there's only so much that goes on in an otg or otg-with-power cable. afaik the dock and the cable you link are just different form factors of the same electrical connections.

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #7,313 of 9,526
Neutron Music Player now support output direct to USB dac... Working very well with S4 + e18 at 24 bits/96khz. One more good option... :)

Wow, big news!

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #7,318 of 9,526
The answer is no. If you don't believe me, you can Google it just like I did.

So the OTG function is shut off while charging. How disappointing...

what phone and DAC? Have you looked at Danba's android compatibility list?

Not really an issue of compatibility in my case. My intention is to charge the phone while it's connected to a DAC via OTG. Looks like I'll need to look into those Qi chargers.

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #7,319 of 9,526
if you have a Nexus5 that absolutely wont work. Nexus5 cannot to Qi while OTG cable is in.

The person who said "google it, the answer is no" cannot say that without knowing what phone you have, as there are a multitude of chipsets etc and they all work differently.

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #7,320 of 9,526
  if you have a Nexus5 that absolutely wont work. Nexus5 cannot to Qi while OTG cable is in

Interesting, like aznpos531 said, I too thought Qi + OTG would work, if it doesn't work with the Nexus5, I doubt it will work with any phone.

Herein lies the crux of the issue, we're finally coming to a point in technology where people are trying to replace their desktop PCs with phones.
Everyone knows this was going to happen, nobody knows exactly when. At some point phones will completely replace desktop PCs, and dock into monitor/keyboard/mice stations.

Unfortunately, phone hardware manufacturers aren't on the same page. A basic function of any electronic multi-purpose device, is to have peripherals connected (input/output devices) for the end user. One ubiquitous device is the DAC, aka soundcard, the topic of discussion in this thread.

It's a shame phones don't have the capability to charge while having essential peripherals also operating at the same time. Trust me though, it will happen, most likely sooner than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back