Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 3, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #7,337 of 9,526
  how do you control playback when using a usb dac otg ?

What do you mean exactly by playback?

Referring to OTG the smartphone or leading device controls playback. You use the device to select your songs, tracks etc, it sends the file as a data signal to the dac/amp where its decoded to analogue then > through the dac/amps 'amp section' and finally to your headphones.

Phone OTG > USB dac/amp > Headphones > music.

Is this what you mean?

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #7,338 of 9,526

What do you mean exactly by playback?

Referring to OTG the smartphone or leading device controls playback. You use the device to select your songs, tracks etc, it sends the file as a data signal to the dac/amp where its decoded to analogue then > through the dac/amps 'amp section' and finally to your headphones.

Phone OTG > USB dac/amp > Headphones > music.

Is this what you mean?

i wanted to say if there is a way to control music, play, pause, next track, prev track, when using a usb dac, my inline remote don't work with.

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #7,341 of 9,526
I use my Pebble Time Steel to control playback. Just about the best thing you can currently do with a smartwatch.

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #7,342 of 9,526
I'm thinking to buy a smartphone for use it only with the usb dac/amps I already have. it will run in offline mode with only the player, no other apps will be installed. so I don't need good cpu, ram, camera or other unnecessary things, I would just it is cheap and not big. have anyone a suggestion or should I give up this idea?

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #7,343 of 9,526
  I'm thinking to buy a smartphone for use it only with the usb dac/amps I already have. it will run in offline mode with only the player, no other apps will be installed. so I don't need good cpu, ram, camera or other unnecessary things, I would just it is cheap and not big. have anyone a suggestion or should I give up this idea?

Does it have to be portable? If not, then why not buy a tablet? It is cheaper and easier to handle than your average smartphone. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #7,345 of 9,526
I had that idea too, and got myself Xiaomi Redmi 2. It's a good phone for DAC use and has a good specs. However in the end I sold it, including my DAC, as I couldn't stand handling Android and getting used to its ever present boundaries. Got Fiio X3II and I'm much more satisfied.
Back to your question though, Redmi 2E might be a good candidate for DAC-only use. The issues I was having were connected to the platform (Android), rather than hardware (1.2GHz 4-core CPU) or system (MIUI)

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #7,346 of 9,526
My main portable rig is a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone, paired with a FiiO E18 DAC/AMP.

I have the Anker 4400 mAh battery in the S3 for extended playing time between charges, and a 256 GB SD card (using a micro SD / SD adapter).

It works great for streaming services and for playback of lossless files using the Onkyo HD player app.

The obvious problem is its size and weight. It's fine this time of year when I can slip it in a coat pocket, but a bit of a pain during the summer months.

I'll probably upgrade to one of the many Android based DAPs that are popping up now once I can afford to, but this has served me very well over the past couple of years.

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #7,347 of 9,526
My main portable rig is a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone, paired with a FiiO E18 DAC/AMP.

I have the Anker 4400 mAh battery in the S3 for extended playing time between charges, and a 256 GB SD card (using a micro SD / SD adapter).

It works great for streaming services and for playback of lossless files using the Onkyo HD player app.

The obvious problem is its size and weight. It's fine this time of year when I can slip it in a coat pocket, but a bit of a pain during the summer months.

I'll probably upgrade to one of the many Android based DAPs that are popping up now once I can afford to, but this has served me very well over the past couple of years.

Crikey.What happens when you get a phone call?

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #7,348 of 9,526
  i wanted to say if there is a way to control music, play, pause, next track, prev track, when using a usb dac, my inline remote don't work with.

The FiiO E18 has buttons for Play/Pause, Next and Previous that work with my android devices.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #7,349 of 9,526
Crikey.What happens when you get a phone call?

I answer it on whichever of my personal hone or work phone that is ringing. The S3 is for music duties only.

I never did get this convergence thing which is why, in addition to the three phones, I carry two laptops, a tablet, and a kindle.

Not a problem really ... I just have to put up with a bad back and delays at airport security 
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #7,350 of 9,526
I used a Galaxy S3 in my previous portable setup + extDAC. Months ago I switched my phone with an Xperia Z1C and the micro usb ports is not appropriate to be used all the day with a plug inserted; this because the Z1C have a plastic cover for waterproofing on the micro usb port that may break in a pocket...so I moved back to my clip zip...

I had that idea too, and got myself Xiaomi Redmi 2. It's a good phone for DAC use and has a good specs. However in the end I sold it, including my DAC, as I couldn't stand handling Android and getting used to its ever present boundaries. Got Fiio X3II and I'm much more satisfied.
Back to your question though, Redmi 2E might be a good candidate for DAC-only use. The issues I was having were connected to the platform (Android), rather than hardware (1.2GHz 4-core CPU) or system (MIUI)

I have seen the Redmi 2, is might be good price-quality, only too big...for the same price or less I could get a fiio x1 or an used fiio x3-I and probably it's a better choice..I have not decided yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back