Android phones and USB DACs
Sep 5, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #7,156 of 9,526
Hey I have an htc desire 626s and a schii to modi 2 how would I go about to connecting it to my phone? I have a USB otg cable a USB powered hub and all the cables needed to connect it but so far I get no response. Aren't I supposed to get at least an error message or something ?

Android USB audio
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/7035#post_11822387
FAQ:
http://goo.gl/A4dCnP

[Check the different types of involved hardware, especially the USB OTG cable.
Test the USB DAC compatibility with different existing USB audio software (native USB audio, USB Audio Player PRO (the most compatible), HibyMusic, Onkyo HF Player).]

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #7,159 of 9,526

Yes they do. I can use my Note 4 with both the Bifrost and Modi.

How do you connect your phone to the dac ? I can't seem to get any response

Does your phone run Android Lollipop? if not you will need the UAPP or Hiby apps to play music through the Schiit. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #7,160 of 9,526
Let me bump this once more, I'm looking for a 4 inch smartphone that works with USB DACs, my d14 (amazing sq) is tottaly dwarfed by my 6" Z2 pro although the QHD display is appealing I would rather prefer a 4" or even smaller better with 360p resolution that works with d14.

My friends Fiio E18 looks and feels great and is very convincing when stacked with 5inchers but the Sq is not even close to the D14 hell it's sometimes comparable to snapdragon 801 inbuilt dac/Amp.
If only I could fit my d14 in E18. Would just pay 100$ for that lol

Sep 5, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #7,161 of 9,526
How do you connect your phone to the dac ? I can't seem to get any response

Despite questions about the phone's USB Audio compatibility, are you using a USB OTG cable? Another possible gotcha is if the DAC draws more power from the USB than the phone can supply, then you will have to use a powered USB Hub or a USB Y cable with either a USB wall wart or juicepack type of USB battery.

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #7,162 of 9,526
Hey All. I too am having issues with android, but I am new to portable audio and trying to work out all the great advice and options I see here. Question: do apps like Hiby and USB Audio Pro function as DAPs, as in you use them with your personal audio file collection, or can these apps be used to listen to services like Tidal, as I do?

Hiby can function with personal file collection, but it haven't provided online music service yet.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #7,163 of 9,526
Thanks Chowboofay. Thats what I thought. Too bad, it seems like a missed opportunity for a partnership. There must be a sizeable market where people like us use apps like Hiby to enable full function of our gear, and would also automatically use whatever music service was compatible with the app. Cheers!

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #7,164 of 9,526
Thanks Chowboofay. Thats what I thought. Too bad, it seems like a missed opportunity for a partnership. There must be a sizeable market where people like us use apps like Hiby to enable full function of our gear, and would also automatically use whatever music service was compatible with the app. Cheers!

It is expected that music service will be added in these apps like Hiby in the future. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #7,165 of 9,526
Sorry for the SPAM, but this is such a specialty/niche item that nobody would ever notice it on eBay.  
And it relates directly to this thread.

I'm selling this for $55 shipped in the USA if anyone is interested.  I only unboxed it to test one time and then never used again.
It's for Samsung tablets/phones but works with many other mfgs.  I ended up selling my Samsung tablet and got a Nexus and don't need it.

PM only if interested, so we don't clutter up the thread.  :)

http://www.lavalinkstore.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_25&products_id=85

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #7,166 of 9,526
Sep 7, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #7,167 of 9,526
Hey All. I too am having issues with android, but I am new to portable audio and trying to work out all the great advice and options I see here. Question: do apps like Hiby and USB Audio Pro function as DAPs, as in you use them with your personal audio file collection, or can these apps be used to listen to services like Tidal, as I do?

I also posted a question similar to this and never got any replies. One could garner from the original post that USB DAC's can only be used with android apps like Hiby, Audio Pro, etc....

I bought an OTG cable myself to do some testing.
My test bed is an LG G3 running 5.0.1 lollipop (stock sprint zva). From what I've read, Lollipop is the first Android OS to have many USB audio drivers built in by default.
Anything below Lollipop is a guessing game, because you have to rely on the phone's manufacturer to have those drivers built in. I have also read you can use custom roms to get USB DAC's functioning. I've read good things about CyanogenMod specifically for USB audio.I also have my friends Samsung Galaxy S6 (most up to date stock firmware at the time of writing this), for testing.

When I first got my OTG cable I tested my WA7's USB DAC with my G3. It has a C-Media 6631A USB chip. The phone didn't have any notifications, but audio automatically started routing through the WA7's DAC. Not only did it work with the USB Audio Pro app, it worked seamlessly with what I actually use, which is Google Music. I have All Access, this service is similar to Tidal as you reference.

[you can ignore this, not related to testing]
Let me take an brief moment to explain. The internet where most of us live is ubiquitous, but streaming music isn't? This is normal, the internet is the infrastructure, it takes years for people to realize what potential that has. Not every one has caught up, this goes for both the consumer and the distributor. Although, there are a handful of streaming distribution solutions, so the privy consumer does have options. Locally stored music is a Hallmark to the past. Weather people like it or not, it's out the door once technology, and peoples awareness, evolves.

Taking that into consideration, I don't particularly like all the USB audio programs out there. For the one fact that they all only play "your" music. What do I mean by that? Well, if you're savvy, you can setup a port forwarded network / media share, which will work with USB Audio Pro. Head out with your 4G Phone, and stream music from your home media server on the go, great.... One problem, it's still essentially 'local" media. In the sense it is yours, and you own it.

For the first time since recorded music exited, there are solutions now that are fair for the consumer. They are streaming music services. Google All Access, Tidal, Spotify, Amazon Music etc... Right now the biggest problem any of these have is licensing issues, they don't have absolutely 100% of stuff yet. For example All Access doesn't have The Beatles (which I doubt any of them have..) Regardless of of that, it does have 99% of what I do listen to.

If I added up all the songs / albums I would have had to buy, it's easily 5k plus. I get this for $10/month.....
I know if this wasn't public, and I was talking to some friends, they'd use piracy as a counter argument. You can get anything you want that way right? 
It's still clunky, archaic, and slow to do this. Dealing with physical items is 20th century, really is. I don't want to short / aggregate, spend effort to get the music I want.

Steaming services are not only better in terms of price, but they are better in terms of music exploration, aggregation, playlists, ease of use. Simply put, the only reason that aren't patently better in every way to local media, is because they still need time to get more support from the consumer, then distributors will start pouring more money into this.
[/rant]

Based on my above testing, I pulled the trigger on a Dragonfly 1.2. I searched, and could not find anybody stating if this DAC would work with only USB Audio apps, or what? Just like your question cscales. Just had to spend the money to test myself, it seemed positive from my test results from my WA7. The Dragonfly 1.2 did work with my LG G3, but only with USB Audio Pro. (*Note, probably would have worked with other usb audio apps like Hiby, only tested the one app) Audio didn't come out of my Google Music app at all, still routed through the internal audio.

I tested with the GalaxyS6, and audio did route through Play Music by default, but it was very garbled, unusable.

I'm going to make the assumption, that my testing with the Google Play music app, would apply to other similar scenarios, like a Tidal Music app, or Spotify app.

Right now, it seems like a complete guessing game if any one specific USB DAC will work natively with Android, without the need to use USB Audio apps. This thread isn't helpful in this regard either, at least from what I perused.

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #7,168 of 9,526

Taking that into consideration, I don't particularly like all the USB audio programs out there. For the one fact that they all only play "your" music. What do I mean by that? Well, if you're savvy, you can setup a port forwarded network / media share, which will work with USB Audio Pro. Head out with your 4G Phone, and stream music from your home media server on the go, great.... One problem, it's still essentially 'local" media. In the sense it is yours, and you own it.

Not correct. Several streaming services can interwork with UAPP via the app Bubble UPnP. I've done it with Google Music, and will work the same for any services Bubble supports.

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #7,169 of 9,526

Not correct. Several streaming services can interwork with UAPP via the app Bubble UPnP. I've done it with Google Music, and will work the same for any services Bubble supports.

Sure, but Bubble UPnP has the same issue any other standard Android music player app has, it doesn't work with many USB DACs. Just tested myself, Bubble UPnP synced with Google Play, and played audio, only out the phone internal dac. Dragonfly didn't work.
On a side note, even if Bubble did work with my Dragonfly, syncing Google Music with Bubble is a disaster. It completely ruins the interface, and streaming capabilities that the native Google Music app has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back