Android phones and USB DACs
Sep 7, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #7,171 of 9,526
  Sure, but Bubble UPnP has the same issue any other standard Android music player app has, it doesn't work with many USB DACs. Just tested myself, Bubble UPnP synced with Google Play, and played audio, only out the phone internal dac. Dragonfly didn't work.
On a side note, even if Bubble did work with my Dragonfly, syncing Google Music with Bubble is a disaster. It completely ruins the interface, and streaming capabilities that the native Google Music app has.

No, you misunderstand. You can stream *TO* UAPP via Bubble.

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #7,173 of 9,526

No, you misunderstand. You can stream *TO* UAPP via Bubble.

Ah, I figured it out now. Thanks for the tip!
It is still rudimentary unfortunately. You have to add the music to a playlist or "share", then resync Google Music within Bubble for tracks to update. You can't just search Artists/Songs etc... with a setup like this. Also it doesn't keep the ordering of the playlists, because it's rehosting the files, it's shorts alphabetical by default.

It takes awhile for tracks to load (again assuming because of the rehosting thing). Also, in my short amount of time testing I've had every song glitch, essentially loop the same 3 second audio over and over while it stats the song is still playing as normal.... It happens about 1 minute into a song.

Of course this is good first step, but not ready for general use.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #7,174 of 9,526
No doubt it is cumbersome, although when I tried with Google music I at least didn't have issues with stuttering/glitchy playback. Will be awesome if one of those apps can offer it natively.

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #7,175 of 9,526
So I've been toying around with the idea of buying a tablet as a source. I already have an Aune t1 DAC and I'd like a tablet that will work without rooting or anything like that. I think i'll use a network hdd for most things, flac or high quality mp3's.
Does the newest nexus 7 work in its stock form? 

Sep 14, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #7,176 of 9,526
  So I've been toying around with the idea of buying a tablet as a source. I already have an Aune t1 DAC and I'd like a tablet that will work without rooting or anything like that. I think i'll use a network hdd for most things, flac or high quality mp3's.

Yes it does. I used to have one and it worked no problem.

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #7,177 of 9,526

I had the same thought, a tablet with a hdd as a source. I only have some reservations about the setup

-Is there a way to connect the the tablet to a server other than WiFi? Is there a tablet with two usb sockets, or an Ethernet connection?
-Is there a way to simultaneously play music and charge a tablet? I want to have it permanently placed beside my listening chair and dont want to plug and unplug chargers.

Sep 15, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #7,178 of 9,526
  I had the same thought, a tablet with a hdd as a source. I only have some reservations about the setup

-Is there a way to connect the the tablet to a server other than WiFi? Is there a tablet with two usb sockets, or an Ethernet connection?
-Is there a way to simultaneously play music and charge a tablet? I want to have it permanently placed beside my listening chair and dont want to plug and unplug chargers.

An RJ-45 socket is thicker than most tablets. You could use a small 11 inch touch screen Windoze laptop. I use an Asus.

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #7,179 of 9,526

An RJ-45 socket is thicker than most tablets. You could use a small 11 inch touch screen Windoze laptop. I use an Asus.

I am trying to avoid Windoze.  I am looking for a way to use hiby or UAPP, which are excellent apps. I don't want to go into the Windows hell of USB-Drivers, incompatibilities etc.

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #7,180 of 9,526
Any recommendations for USB DAC/amp for Android that doesn't have any battery, very small footprint, doesn't drain battery severely, good with sensitive IEMs?

I've tried Calyx PaT but not impressed. Cozoy Aegis seems good but I heard the battery drain is pretty bad.

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #7,181 of 9,526
  Any recommendations for USB DAC/amp for Android that doesn't have any battery, very small footprint, doesn't drain battery severely, good with sensitive IEMs?

I've tried Calyx PaT but not impressed. Cozoy Aegis seems good but I heard the battery drain is pretty bad.

HRT iDSP. There is a dedicated thread here Just don't buy it from them, buy it from Amazon or some other reseller.

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #7,182 of 9,526

SHOZY Lancea :wink:

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #7,183 of 9,526
This is all fascinating to me. I was considering up to this point a DAP but after trying to find cheaper ways to enhance my audio i got into this thread and i got extremely interested to try it out myself. My phone is a Meizu MX4 which has some deticated audio parts and sound for both my V-moda XS and Philips Fidelio X2 is great but i know for a fact that i can do better with a little enhancement. Since the device itself is OTG capable running android 5.0.1 it looks like most OTG amps/DACs will work with it. 

My choices are almost stricktly by Fiio due to price/performance ratio. I need something that will be able to drive the phones as well as amp them and i see that either Fiio E17K or E18  will do the job. They cost 100 pounds (153 USD) and 129 pounds (198 USD) respectively. Which one should i opt for and are there any other solutions to my needs that i may consider? I do not want to go beyond the 130 pounds (200 USD) mark. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #7,184 of 9,526

hrt microstreamer, worked great with my Lenovo Tab S8

Sep 15, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #7,185 of 9,526

I am trying to avoid Windoze.  I am looking for a way to use hiby or UAPP, which are excellent apps. I don't want to go into the Windows hell of USB-Drivers, incompatibilities etc.

I've used a number of DACs with Windoze, which supports USB Audio Spec1 without any special drivers and is supported by most DACs. USB Audio Spec 2 is not supported natively and requires drivers of which many DAC makers provide. As far as apps go there are many good ones on Windoze. Foobar2000 is free, Media Monkey comes in both free and paid for versions. These two apps are very popular, have plugins and support many file formats and resolutions. Of the 4 DACs that I currently have, all run on Windoze but only 3 run on Android or iOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back