Android phones and USB DACs
Sep 17, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #7,201 of 9,526
Maybe stupid question, but how would one go about checking if it resamples?  I know some dac's have indicator lights to show what bitrate, but I just have my modi2

Sep 18, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #7,203 of 9,526

Not too sure what that means. I also did not run it attached to the dac (don't know if that matters or not either, cause frankly I don't understand what this test does)

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #7,204 of 9,526
  Popping back into this thread to see if there is progress with Lollipop outputting bit perfect. Did not see much progress based on a quick skim and read.

I also found this thread on official Sony site: http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Music/Why-did-you-remove-HD-Audio-via-MINI-USB-out-in-Lollipop-update/td-p/976707

It is official: the Lollipop (if the sound goes through the Android framework) upsamples the output from players always to the highest sampling rate that the DAC supports. For Sony Xperia devices at least.

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Music/Why-did-you-remove-HD-Audio-via-MINI-USB-out-in-Lollipop-update/m-p/988252#M4299

What a dumb decision on Google's part, and this time Sony is not promising their own implementation like they did in KitKat.

If this is the case, the work-around is to use a DAC that only supports at most the same sampling rate that your music is.... Off the top of my head I cannot think of any that would help us redbook CD guys who want to stream music from Tidal in addition to or instead using UAPP or Hiby or Onkyo...

If anyone has seen any evidence of bit perfect playback on Lollipop, would be great if they let us know. Maybe there are tricks to this requiring rooting which I am considering seriously doing for the first time.

It would be really pity if I would need to move to iDevices because of this, would prefer to avoid a closed ecosystem. I was thinking of buying a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet to use as source around at home, but I hear they are now shipping with Lollipop...

Re:  The Sony thread, I really am not sure what to make of the Sony spokesperson and his insistence that Android does certain things that cannot be changed.  

There sure is no re-sampling going on in my phone running Android 5.0.2.  It still runs everything from the Deadbeef or Onkyo player apps to the Android framework and output via OTG USB dac at 48khz.  Does it play a 96k file, sure but Android samples everything to 48khz.  

Certainly not to the uppermost limit of the dac which in this case is 96khz.  And yes I do have lights on the microstreamer to let me know what is really going on.

So to answer the question, with the players I have running, NO there is not bitperfect playback on Android 5.x unless you happen to be playing a 48khz file I suppose.

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #7,205 of 9,526

Not too sure what that means. I also did not run it attached to the dac (don't know if that matters or not either, cause frankly I don't understand what this test does)

If you use UAPP it avoids/goes around ALSA . It's the point behind the whole app. That buffer report is through ALSA/Audiofinger

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #7,206 of 9,526
A new version of Hiby is available, 2.0.4. 

NEW FUNCTIONS

1.Remember the file catalog browsed last time
2.Support folder skip
3.Display the album cover on LAN
4.Add sorting by album under artist
5.Support deletion of the whole album/artist
6.Display output information by keeping press the cover on play interface
7.Bugs fixes

Nice. I would like to see landscape mode added though, as I am toying with the idea of using it on a tablet.

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #7,207 of 9,526

NEW FUNCTIONS

!!!!  \o/  
beerchug.gif
  Excellent. I'm glad that this got implemented. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #7,208 of 9,526
OK I'm officially hopping on this otg > DAC train! I ordered a Galaxy Tab Pro to use with my aunt t1 that has been collecting dust for a few months.

Anybody have a recommendation for a dock with one or two USB ports and hdmi? I'm trying to get this set up to be as clean as possible for home listening and I probably need an external hdd hooked up. There are so many docks its hard to tell what'll work and what won't.

Thanks guys, this thread is great!

Sep 19, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #7,209 of 9,526

NEW FUNCTIONS

2.Support folder skip
7.Bugs fixes

Nice. I would like to see landscape mode added though, as I am toying with the idea of using it on a tablet.

Just updated and it crashes when rescanning my music folder. I've uninstalled and tried a clean install however it gets to 242 songs and crashes each time. Dammit!

Sep 19, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #7,210 of 9,526

NEW FUNCTIONS

2.Support folder skip
7.Bugs fixes

Just updated and it crashes when rescanning my music folder. I've uninstalled and tried a clean install however it gets to 242 songs and crashes each time. Dammit!

Mine scans everything, 719 songs in all. Perhaps try a restart?

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #7,211 of 9,526
I have over 2000 songs and mine also scans fine

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #7,212 of 9,526

Mine scans everything, 719 songs in all. Perhaps try a restart?

Nope still no go. Restarted and tried another fresh install and still crashing. I tried scanning all folders instead of just my music on my SD card but it didn't help. You guys using SD cards or all internal?

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #7,213 of 9,526

Nope still no go. Restarted and tried another fresh install and still crashing. I tried scanning all folders instead of just my music on my SD card but it didn't help. You guys using SD cards or all internal?

128GB external here, nearly full. Scanned completely fine here.

Also, now that we have Artist > Album setup (thanks! And awesome job), any chance that we can get the albums ordered by Track # rather than alphabetical? 

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #7,215 of 9,526
I'll try do a cache wipe and maybe add/remove my SD card and try again. Very strange!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back