Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 24, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #7,127 of 9,526
Yes rooted and expert mode.

But what it has to do with expert mode?

Not sure. Just checking.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am using busybox.

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #7,128 of 9,526
  It's a passive device, if its impedance doesn't load the DAC output then you are good to go. Unfortunately they don't spec the resistance of the potentiometer or the taper. You need an audio taper stereo potentiometer. Probably around 1 K Ohm would work well.

Thank you for helping with the suggestions.
I did a small amount of research on potentiometers.  It looks like the majority of the higher end ones use a much higher ohm rating than 1k?
Here are the specs of my current equipment.  Will this help confirm your suggestion of 1k ohm potentiometer?

Behringer UCA202 USB DAC:
Output impedance - 400 ohms

to

Alpine PXA-H800 car audio processor:
Input Impedance: 10k ohms or higher

The volume control would go between these two devices.

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #7,129 of 9,526

Thank you for helping with the suggestions.
I did a small amount of research on potentiometers.  It looks like the majority of the higher end ones use a much higher ohm rating than 1k?
Here are the specs of my current equipment.  Will this help confirm your suggestion of 1k ohm potentiometer?

Behringer UCA202 USB DAC:
Output impedance - 400 ohms

to

Alpine PXA-H800 car audio processor:
Input Impedance: 10k ohms or higher

The volume control would go between these two devices.

Most DACs that I am familiar with have an impedance below 100 Ohms. This is not a connection to a headhone that requires damping,8:1 ratio.  A combined load impedance of 1K Ohms pot and 10K Input impedance would represent a 3.2 dBV loss, a higher resistance pot would be less. As the resistance of the pot approaches 10 K (the Alpine) the audio taper of the pot changes, so you can't go too high.
Using a 2 K Pot.
Combined load to amp: 1666.7 Ohms.
Loss: 1.9 dBV
That should be acceptable.

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #7,130 of 9,526
Is the Galaxy Note N7000 capable of usb audio? I have Omnirom Kitkat on mine. Got my usb disk working with an otg cable. I couldn't get my ODAC to work with various recommended usb apps. I tried it as is and powered by a powerbank via y cable. It didn't work.

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #7,131 of 9,526
Apparently it isn't:

Android USB audio
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/7035#post_11822387

A list of USB Audio Player PRO resources (compatible USB DAC, compatible Android devices, ...):
http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/2015-07-22-12-01-14/usb-audio-driver

NOT WORKING ANDROID DEVICES
 Galaxy Note 1 

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #7,132 of 9,526
Hi there,

I need some help configuring my smartphone for the use with external DACs.
I have a rooted Galaxy Note 2 with Agni Kernel, Boeffla Sound, Viper4Android. I have a Stoner DAC 110mk2 and will receive a Musicasl Fidelity V90 DAC tomorrow.

With my previous phone, a rooted Galaxy S3 I could connect my Stoner DAC with an USB OTG cable using Neutron player with no problems.
Player settings and Viper4Android remained functional even with OTG output.

My Samsung Galaxy Note2 does not properly work with my Stoner DAC. When I press Play in Neutron I get no sound output and the music cursor is just jumping from one minute to the next and within a few seconds it jumps to the next file.

Any settings I could try changing to get the DAC to work ?

Many thanks

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #7,133 of 9,526
Aug 31, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #7,137 of 9,526
  I want to get a sound output straight from the kernel, not from the app as I want sound processed also by Viper4Android.

With my previous phone (S3, Boeffla kernel) it worked flawlessly.

And you know players like Neutron they use the Android sound layer. All files (be it 24/192 PCM or DSD128) are converted to 16/48?

With HibyMusic or UAPP, they communicate directly to your DAC (use their proprietary usb drivers) therefore able to play files what your DAC can support. 

Is anyone else experiencing tracks randomly skipping by itself when using UAPP? It happens occasionally and occurs with both the screen on and off.

I normally increase its buffers...

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #7,138 of 9,526

And you know players like Neutron they use the Android sound layer. All files (be it 24/192 PCM or DSD128) are converted to 16/48?

With HibyMusic or UAPP, they communicate directly to your DAC (use their proprietary usb drivers) therefore able to play files what your DAC can support. 

Yes I know that. Still prefer the sound that's processed through Viper4Android and Android sound layer.

With my last DAC Musical Fidelity V-DAC I could not hear a difference between 16/48 and 24/96. OK, now my sound system is much better but that's another story
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #7,139 of 9,526

Yes I know that. Still prefer the sound that's processed through Viper4Android and Android sound layer.

With my last DAC Musical Fidelity V-DAC I could not hear a difference between 16/48 and 24/96. OK, now my sound system is much better but that's another story
wink.gif

If you can hear the difference between 16/48 and 24/96...I salute you sir. You are a apex specimen of the species with exceptional hearing.

It's nice to know you got the audio headroom like an amp with power to spare but if you believe you are hearing info above and below 20/20 Hz/Khz...then this game has gotten you.

Your wallet

I'll pour out a little liquor for it homie
wink.gif

BTW....

V4A

RULES!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back