Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 6, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #7,021 of 9,526
I can confirm that the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro 2 works with the Samsung Galaxy S6 with Hiby. It's certainly no audiophile dac, in fact I think audio straight out of the GS6 sounds better than the Turtle Beach, but hey it's another confirmed working DAC.

It suffers the same problem as with my ODAC though in Hiby, in that I have to disconnect it and reconnect it to fix distorted music, but it works. In UAPP it works flawlessly.

A lot of people were complaining about the dodgy usb audio from the Galaxy S6, but so far with the two dacs I've tried, it works great.

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #7,022 of 9,526
Today I bought Oppo HA-2 for trial to pair with my Samsung Galaxy S6 and to my big surprise I heard a very pretty concert of glitches and clicks along with music. The problem is caused by radio interference and has been mentioned here, but without solution yet. http://www.head-fi.org/t/755879/oppo-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-dac-discussion-thread/1035#post_11565807

Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 

The real downer is I can't use my HA-2 w/ my unlocked Galaxy S6 unless all of the radios are off.  Horrible interference with any amp I throw on it via USB OTG.  I am not sure if it's my device, or a standard unlocked GS6 thing.  I've read in a few spots that people had to use Airplane mode to have a proper USB OTG connection on the phone.  Damn.  Maybe the G4 will be the answer.

Do you guys believe that Android update may solve the issue or the phone is useless with mentioned amp?

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #7,023 of 9,526
Today I bought Oppo HA-2 for trial to pair with my Samsung Galaxy S6 and to my big surprise I heard a very pretty concert of glitches and clicks along with music. The problem is caused by radio interference and has been mentioned here, but without solution yet. http://www.head-fi.org/t/755879/oppo-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-dac-discussion-thread/1035#post_11565807

Do you guys believe that Android update may solve the issue or the phone is useless with mentioned amp?

I tried a few DACs with my Samsung GS4 and found no problems with interference. Didn't matter if Wi-Fi or Bluetooth radios were on. I've tried with Fiio E7, Cozoy Astrapi, Sony PHA-3. Have you tried any other DACs with your S6? I'm thinking about getting the HA-2 and I'm wondering if this problem is limited to the HA-2 and/or S6.

Has anyone found this problem with the HA-2 + some other smartphone?

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #7,024 of 9,526
Can confirm that Emotiva's new Big Ego works via USB OTG with the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I tested it with UAPP, Onkyo HF Player, and the stock Samsung Player. 

While it works just fine, I should add one cautionary point: The EBE is pretty subject to RF interference. Very, very distracting. 

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #7,026 of 9,526
  Hello guys! I'm a new comer. Hiby is an excellent app with a great UI and better sound than others. But I came across a problem recently...
My ifi micro dsd cannot work after I update the version to 2.02. What's the probelm? 
confused.gif

Any reply will be welcomed. Thanks!

If you offer the model of your mobile phone and its Android version, it will be more preferable.
You can also send your feedback to bugs@hiby.cd

BTW,the next update of Hiby Music is coming soon...Stay tuned.
regular_smile .gif

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #7,029 of 9,526
Tidal works fine with my Micro iDSD / OnePlus One.   As far as I know, good as USBAPP is, you can't stream Tidal through it.

If I were sure that it would work fine with my Galaxy S5 then I'd buy the iDSD, or something similar, right now. USB Audio Player Pro seems to be a godsend for Android users, but as you say, doesn't work with Tidal. Kind of makes me wish I had an iPhone as most portable DACs seem to work out of them without the need for additional software.

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #7,030 of 9,526
If I were sure that it would work fine with my Galaxy S5 then I'd buy the iDSD, or something similar, right now. USB Audio Player Pro seems to be a godsend for Android users, but as you say, doesn't work with Tidal. Kind of makes me with I had an iPhone as most portable DACs seem to work out of them without the need for additional software.

the idsd with fw 4.10 does not reply on any android compatibility. It receives all audio from the phone (even clicks) so ANY application will work, Tidal, Spotify Podcasts, everything.  It works witn y iphone too, any music app.  Love it.

Saying that I just tried it with a colleagues Samsung S4 and his apps would not allow audio to be played (as in the play button was disabled) wth the idsd connected....not sure if it's a samsung thing.  Are you planning to go to CanJam?  I can bring my iDSD and your welcome to try it.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #7,031 of 9,526
I tried a few DACs with my Samsung GS4 and found no problems with interference. Didn't matter if Wi-Fi or Bluetooth radios were on. I've tried with Fiio E7, Cozoy Astrapi, Sony PHA-3. Have you tried any other DACs with your S6? I'm thinking about getting the HA-2 and I'm wondering if this problem is limited to the HA-2 and/or S6.

So far I found out this problem applies only to GS6. Today I tried 2 other units at Samsung centre with the same result. The interference occurred with ifi idsd nano as well, so for me it concludes the phone is no good.

Regarding HA-2 it worked perfectly fine with Samsung tablet Tab Pro 10.1 and with LG G3.

I am going to contact Samsung to suggest a solution but I doubt they will care at all.

EDIT: Just finished conversation with Samsung consultant. What I heard is the most peculiar and practical answer I could receive. Samsung S6 officially doesn't support USB-OTG and audio through microUSB. If it works it works. If it doesn't it is not their fault. No news about future of this function.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #7,032 of 9,526
the idsd with fw 4.10 does not reply on any android compatibility. It receives all audio from the phone (even clicks) so ANY application will work, Tidal, Spotify Podcasts, everything.  It works witn y iphone too, any music app.  Love it.

Saying that I just tried it with a colleagues Samsung S4 and his apps would not allow audio to be played (as in the play button was disabled) wth the idsd connected....not sure if it's a samsung thing.  Are you planning to go to CanJam?  I can bring my iDSD and your welcome to try it.

Ah that's a shame. Looks like the Galaxy phones are the worst possible choices for audiophile gear.

I would have been at CanJam if it hadn't coincided with me going on holiday. Probably a good thing I'm not going because I'd end up spending a fortune.

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #7,033 of 9,526
Ah that's a shame. Looks like the Galaxy phones are the worst possible choices for audiophile gear.

I would have been at CanJam if it hadn't coincided with me going on holiday. Probably a good thing I'm not going because I'd end up spending a fortune.

lol, yeah, maybe a lucky escape.  That was one S4, not really got access to any more or S5's to test.   I would recommend running Cyanogenmod on your galaxy if you can, my S3 when I had it really came to life with Cyanogen, the Samsung bloatware is really horrible.

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #7,034 of 9,526

I use the HA-2 with the Note 4 and on Kitkat 4.4 (stock) it was perfect however once I upgraded to Lollipop 5.01 I now get constant glitches. Actually happens sometimes without the DAC! It's weird, sometimes it settles down and I don't get them but if the phone restarts it comes back again. I get less clicks using HIBY than other apps but they are still there. Definitely an issue with 5.01. Hoping to get an update to fix - otherwise will have to go back to Kitkat :frowning2:

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #7,035 of 9,526
Tiny DSD capable HiFime 9018 USB DAC/amp:
http://omorodive.blogspot.fr/2015/04/hifime-9018-dac.html
http://ameblo.jp/wrairack/entry-12030007422.html

Asus Zenfone 2 >> USB OTG adapter >> HiFime 9018 >> headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back