Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 24, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #6,346 of 9,526
  Different versions of operating systems and different dacs affect what works.  It's not so cut and dried as you may think.  Just look at this thread.  

yes, i understand this, different versions of android, different external dac models, different tablet hardware, different software, etc., etc.... i was just hoping that there was a a depository of some sort where those that have had success posted their working combos, i mean clearly folks have had success, but i guess this doesn't exist, alas...

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #6,350 of 9,526
Yes on both.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #6,351 of 9,526
Yes on both.

Are you sure it is true for headphone jack as well? 

Are there any technical proofs of this? I know Z3 does support natively hi-res output to a USB DAC, but I've always thought internal playback is still downsampled to Android specs (just like UAPP does with its "Play through Android" mode.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #6,352 of 9,526
The headphone output is only a guess, since there is no third party verification for it, but based on Sony's newly found commitment on HR it is a good guess. Having said that the headphone output like so many phones are rather compromised, not just by Android but by hardware and software, so if pure HR sound is what one looking for the USB output is the way to go.

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #6,353 of 9,526
USB Audio Player Pro: Personal Audio Product of the Year
http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.fr/search?updated-max=2014-12-31T16:23:00-05:00&max-results=3

"Okay, it has not officially been reviewed on EAN yet, but, boy, do I ever use USB Audio Player Pro. This $9.00 Android hi-res player features up to 32-bit/384 sample rate PCM and 2.8 MHz DSD playback when linked to a compatible a USB-input DAC. Plus, it decodes FLAC, WAV, AIFF, MP3, OGG, etc.
It works with most noted Android tablets, and its transparent playback to your favorite DAC sounds aces. Rivals the computer player software. USB Audio Player Pro also contains playlist management features, EQ and several tweaks to assure smooth playback with different devices.

What’s really handy is its portability. USB Audio Player Pro allows you to play super high res, such as 24/384 and DXD), without going through a computer.
Thus, it is extremely portable. I have it installed on two Dell tablets and an Android Smartphone. I keep one in my main audiophile rig and one in my recording suite to monitor my home-brew 24/384 PCM guitar recordings. I also use an Android Smartphone and a Resonessence Concero HP for mobile hi-res listening.

There are a few hi-res audio software players out there for smart devices to output hi-res audio via USB, but none that I have tried can touch USB Audio Player Pro."

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #6,354 of 9,526
  USB Audio Player Pro: Personal Audio Product of the Year
http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.fr/search?updated-max=2014-12-31T16:23:00-05:00&max-results=3

"Okay, it has not officially been reviewed on EAN yet, but, boy, do I ever use USB Audio Player Pro. This $9.00 Android hi-res player features up to 32-bit/384 sample rate PCM and 2.8 MHz DSD playback when linked to a compatible a USB-input DAC. Plus, it decodes FLAC, WAV, AIFF, MP3, OGG, etc.
It works with most noted Android tablets, and its transparent playback to your favorite DAC sounds aces. Rivals the computer player software. USB Audio Player Pro also contains playlist management features, EQ and several tweaks to assure smooth playback with different devices.

What’s really handy is its portability. USB Audio Player Pro allows you to play super high res, such as 24/384 and DXD), without going through a computer.
Thus, it is extremely portable. I have it installed on two Dell tablets and an Android Smartphone. I keep one in my main audiophile rig and one in my recording suite to monitor my home-brew 24/384 PCM guitar recordings. I also use an Android Smartphone and a Resonessence Concero HP for mobile hi-res listening.

There are a few hi-res audio software players out there for smart devices to output hi-res audio via USB, but none that I have tried can touch USB Audio Player Pro."

HibyMusic supports all DACs, 32bit 382kHz PCM, and DSD128, DSD256 (in the upcoming ver 1.5), and it's FREE.
So far, only 1000 users have downloaded HibyMusic app while HibyMusic clearly outperforms USB Audio Player Pro in every respect.
They should have given this award to HibyMusic.

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #6,355 of 9,526
Sorry, not on my book.

It doesn't fully support volume control on DACs having XMOS (which I have). 

UAPP's UI is more intuitive, not the most beautiful, but I could find easly and plays the song I want. Not on the case as Hiby IMO. (For UI I like Onkyo better).

Its robust, no frills (UAPP).

A major plus only to Hiby is that it free. But at $9 for a player and we spend tons ($) for our HPs, IEMs, DACs, Amps, DAPs etc...

Its a no brainer for me. To each his own taste :wink:

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #6,357 of 9,526
Hiby doesn't do folder playback or folder shuffle does it? Those are the main ways I play music, so it's useless to me if it didn't doesn't do those.

It does folder playback. I haven't tried folder shuffle, but why don't you just download it and try yourself? It is free after all...

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #6,359 of 9,526
I did, but it clashed with UAPP for the use of the DAC

Ah, I know the problem. When I want to use the Hiby I tap "Cancel" when UAPP asks for permission to use the USB-Device. It works.

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #6,360 of 9,526
"Android 5.0 Lollipop supports USB DAC audio devices, we go ears-on:"
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Android-5.0-Lollipop-supports-USB-DAC-audio-devices-we-go-ears-on_id66399

Users who are viewing this thread

Back