Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 6, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #6,076 of 9,526
@DanBa
Thanks a lot.

Damn, this Forza Audioworks cable (http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=55) looks so great, but it's so expensive. And it's hand made in my country, ehh... Too bad I'm poor student :frowning2:

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #6,077 of 9,526
I just found out I can hook up an external flash drive to my Samsung Alpha with a OTG cable. Its great I can watch movies and a endless amount of music. This is good because this phone doesn't have a micro sd slot and its only 32g.

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #6,079 of 9,526
i just got a HTC one M8 today and was happy to find USB audio out was natively supported and thought i had to wait till android lollipop. only thing is though is that i cant change songs with the volume buttons anymore which is a massive deal breaker and when using USB audio with my Fiio E07k the volume buttons just mutes the sound or turns it up to full. really have no idea whats up with that. maybe il have to wait for a custom ROM

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #6,082 of 9,526
  i just got a HTC one M8 today and was happy to find USB audio out was natively supported and thought i had to wait till android lollipop. only thing is though is that i cant change songs with the volume buttons anymore which is a massive deal breaker and when using USB audio with my Fiio E07k the volume buttons just mutes the sound or turns it up to full. really have no idea whats up with that. maybe il have to wait for a custom ROM

I have the Samsung Alpha running Android Kit Kat with the E07K and the volume works fine. And I also hook up a flash drive to my phone with music because it doesn't have a sd card slot

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #6,083 of 9,526
update on my progress

Nexus 5 (Lollipop 5.01)  >>  OTG-Y cable >> micro-USB to mini-USB cable (+5v wire cut) >> powered USB hub >> HiFiMe Sabre Android DAC >> JVC car head unit EXT IN (analogue)

Also with NTFS flash drive on the hub which uses Paragon/Total commander with NTFS plug-in.

UAPP does NOT see the DAC in this setup. Native Android stuff plays through it fine. Am looking for a player that can see the flash drive, I am currently just selecting within Total commander. Not sure if playlists will work in that.

Also, is there a way of telling if the Nexus 5 is converting 16/44.1 flacs to 16/48, or keeping them unconverted?

Charging only occurs if the micro-USB to Nexus 5 connection is the final one made.

Charging is at a reduced level through the OTG-Y cable (maybe the wire thickness is playing a part here, maybe the 5th pin in the micro-USB connector needs a different resistance to make the phone pull the maximum charge. However, I'm getting around 600-700mA with a "high-power 12v-USB" Chinese special and I did a 2 hour Ingress drive and the battery only lost 3%, so that is acceptable.

I'm still getting some kind of ground loop feedback or something though, so might try snipping the ground cable in the " micro-USB to mini-USB cable (+5v wire cut)"  link and see if that stops it. I was running the hub/DAC/drive on battery power, but the 12v>USB adapter and the head unit were using the car 12v supply.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #6,085 of 9,526
good idea, I'll give that a try. Didn't think of it as most of the chain is digital. Though, I do like cutting up cables as well :D

plus, I should test headphones on the DAC to see if I can hear it there.

Might just be ripple on the 5v line out of my cheapo convertors I guess

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #6,086 of 9,526
I have a HTC One M8 phone and Ifi Micro Idsd dac. I know I can play my music library downloaded via USB Audio Pro
but how on earth can I play Spotify or Tidal ? It just defaults back to the HTC ONE M8 speakers and won't play through my headphones.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #6,087 of 9,526
  update on my progress

Nexus 5 (Lollipop 5.01)  >>  OTG-Y cable >> micro-USB to mini-USB cable (+5v wire cut) >> powered USB hub >> HiFiMe Sabre Android DAC >> JVC car head unit EXT IN (analogue)

Also with NTFS flash drive on the hub which uses Paragon/Total commander with NTFS plug-in.

UAPP does NOT see the DAC in this setup. Native Android stuff plays through it fine.....

It's weird.
According to the UAPP compatibility list, the HiFiMe Sabre Android DAC is a compatible USB DAC.
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

Do you "connect your device BEFORE starting the app, otherwise it will not get detected!"?

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #6,088 of 9,526
  I have a HTC One M8 phone and Ifi Micro Idsd dac. I know I can play my music library downloaded via USB Audio Pro
but how on earth can I play Spotify or Tidal ? It just defaults back to the HTC ONE M8 speakers and won't play through my headphones.

The USB audio soft driver of USB Audio Player PRO is compatible with the iFi micro iDSD.
Spotify or Tidal have to interface with the native USB audio of the HTC One M8, which is apparently not compatible with the iFi micro iDSD.

Maybe, the native USB audio of the Android 5.0 Lollipop-powered HTC One M8 could be compatible with the iFi micro iDSD.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #6,089 of 9,526
The USB audio soft driver of USB Audio Player PRO is compatible with the iFi micro iDSD.
Spotify or Tidal have to interface with the native USB audio of the HTC One M8, which is apparently not compatible with the iFi micro iDSD.

Maybe, the native USB audio of the Android 5.0 Lollipop-powered HTC One M8 could be compatible with the iFi micro iDSD.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe an software update will allow this to work in the future

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #6,090 of 9,526

It's weird.
According to the UAPP compatibility list, the HiFiMe Sabre Android DAC is a compatible USB DAC.
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

Do you "connect your device BEFORE starting the app, otherwise it will not get detected!"?

hmm, not sure, another thing to try. Though due to the issues with charging etc I find I need to unplug and replug at the phone to get charging started (for example after starting the engine) so restarting the app is another barrier to the user experience. I also remember it breaking audio for other apps and the phone needing a reboot, but I haven't tested that fully.

Also, after long discussions about the proposed benefits of high sample rates I'm not particularly bothered about 96/192 etcbut would like to know if the 44.1s are upconverted to 48 in my setup. Will neutron show the sample rate output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back