Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 3, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #6,031 of 9,526
Yes no problem, my Samsung Galaxy S4 with Anker battery + back cover (which is big enough to fit the 256 GB full size SD card torgether the microSD to SD adapter):

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #6,032 of 9,526
Guys in the term of SQ, which one is better, FiiO X1 or android phone + USB DAC with price range of USD 100?
Also what is the best USB DAC for listening to classical music (with the price range of USD 100-150, cheaper is better haha, and I will pair it with Vsonic VSD3S)
Im thinking about AudioQuest DragonFly Version 1.0 or Fiio E18 Portable USB DAC & AMP or FiiO E07K Andes or FiiO E10K.
Oh ya, my handphone SQ shouldnt matter right?
Sorry for such newbie questions!!
Thank you very much guyss!!!!

Get a FiiO X3 and be done with it. Its an audio player which doubles as a DAC for your PC. Its the perfect all in one solution.

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #6,033 of 9,526
  Guys in the term of SQ, which one is better, FiiO X1 or android phone + USB DAC with price range of USD 100?
Also what is the best USB DAC for listening to classical music (with the price range of USD 100-150, cheaper is better haha, and I will pair it with Vsonic VSD3S)
Im thinking about AudioQuest DragonFly Version 1.0 or Fiio E18 Portable USB DAC & AMP or FiiO E07K Andes or FiiO E10K.
Oh ya, my handphone SQ shouldnt matter right?
Sorry for such newbie questions!!
Thank you very much guyss!!!!

It's a bit more than you've budgeted, but the HRT Microstreamer is on sale right now on Amazon for $170.  Also, you should be able to find one for under $150 if you watch the For Sale forums here on HF.  I use mine when traveling and find it an excellent substitute for the Bifrost Uber / Project Ember combo I use at home. 

For more info you can read the last few pages on the Microstreamer thread starting at this point:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647693/sonic-satori-hrt-levels-the-field-with-the-microstreamer/975

Note: as with most USB DACs, when using the Microstreamer with Android phones UAPP is needed.  Haven't followed closely enough to know if this is fixed with Android 5 (lollipop).

Especially note the comments by Kevin Halverson as he highlights some of the features that set the Microstreamer apart from other USB DAC/Amp devices (which may or may not be important to you).

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #6,034 of 9,526
The SD-->microSD adapters already exist, I was using a 256gb SD card in my Note 3 via such an adapter (waiting on a case I can mod tidily to use it in my Note 4 at present). 512gb SD cards recently became available,there is a user at XDA with one in his Note 4.

An SD card is much larger than a MicroSD card and will not fit in the slot. If you have an adapter it is going to be external to the slot, the slot is internal to the Note 3, so there is a physical problem of placement. You will not need a case, you will need a new back to the phone that has extra room and hack it together. Then there's the question if the ROM and hardware supports the larger address space. Good luck, I suspect you will need some on this adventure.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #6,035 of 9,526
An SD card is much larger than a MicroSD card and will not fit in the slot. If you have an adapter it is going to be external to the slot, the slot is internal to the Note 3, so there is a physical problem of placement. You will not need a case, you will need a new back to the phone that has extra room and hack it together. Then there's the question if the ROM and hardware supports the larger address space. Good luck, I suspect you will need some on this adventure.

No need for ROMS or suchlike, it'll work with them whatever size (may require formatting to FAT32 though). My Note 3 was pure stock with the 256gb card. Basically nearly everything you've said is inaccurate, with the one exception of needing a case mod (mine is a wood case, the inside is sanded so the fit is seamless). All this information is readily available online, you could look it up instead of giving poor information out to the forum.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #6,037 of 9,526
Here is a link to an example of the wood case similar to what I did, if you've no need of the extended battery and want something more streamlined looking this is a nice option.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #6,038 of 9,526
Here is a link to an example of the wood case similar to what I did, if you've no need of the extended battery and want something more streamlined looking this is a nice option.

This woodcase looks sleek and it totally makes sense!
I'd like to try this type of mod! where do they sell this kind of case?
I'd like to use a 512GB SD card and carry a bunch of music files for UAPP!

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #6,039 of 9,526
You can pick them up from EBay.

I'm deciding which one to get for my Note 4 at present, and also whether to get a 512gb card (although my whole all-FLAC music collection fits on the 256gb card I already have).

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #6,040 of 9,526
You can pick them up from EBay.

I'm deciding which one to get for my Note 4 at present, and also whether to get a 512gb card (although my whole all-FLAC music collection fits on the 256gb card I already have).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PDKLXSA/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A224RSRMWC61HA

This is the one I've looked for!
Great, I'd gladly try this case + 512GB SD card.
What's that Anker battery?
As far as I know, Note 4 + DAC + UAPP set up can give you about four hours of playing time. I think using a better battery can help as well.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #6,042 of 9,526
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PDKLXSA/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A224RSRMWC61HA

This is the one I've looked for!
Great, I'd gladly try this case + 512GB SD card.
What's that Anker battery?
As far as I know, Note 4 + DAC + UAPP set up can give you about four hours of playing time. I think using a better battery can help as well.

Using an extended battery is not a bad option at all, Anker/Hyperion/Mugen etc will have ones for basically all of the prominent Android handsets. The one shown above is nice, since it looks like the SD card and adapter sit in the top portion without any case modding.

So cheap for a real wood case. Looks amazing!

Yeah, I think they're pretty nice too.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #6,043 of 9,526
Using an extended battery is not a bad option at all, Anker/Hyperion/Mugen etc will have ones for basically all of the prominent Android handsets. The one shown above is nice, since it looks like the SD card and adapter sit in the top portion without any case modding.
Yeah, I think they're pretty nice too.

So, what's the model name of that battery? how can you make that kind of battery work for a phone?

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #6,044 of 9,526
So, what's the model name of that battery? how can you make that kind of battery work for a phone?

No idea, the thing to consider will be what space the battery takes up in the case - the one pictured above is for the S4, and the card slot orientation and battery shape are different to the Note 4. I'm starting to look at potential cases for modding now.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #6,045 of 9,526
No idea, the thing to consider will be what space the battery takes up in the case - the one pictured above is for the S4, and the card slot orientation and battery shape are different to the Note 4. I'm starting to look at potential cases for modding now.

Modding will make your cellphone better than AK240. 512GB SD Card + UAPP + A decent portable DAC can easily beat AK240.
This wood case will make it look even nicer. Let us know how it goes. I'm not sure if this can work for all cellphones.
I'm using HTC's Desire 816. It's very slim and the wooden case looks pretty slim as well. It's all up to luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back