Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #5,731 of 9,526
  Guidostrunk:
I don't know what you have tried re this problem but I have a suggestion ( although it's a bit of a fiddle ! ).

I recently purchased some little USB speakers and found that when first plugged into a computer, the volume was low. This wasn't a problem on the computer, because I just increased the volume but when I connected the speakers to my phone, I found that although the Android/phone volume control worked, the output from the speakers was very low even at max volume. Anyway, I remembered that there was a setting in UAPP which alters what the volume control ( in UAPP ) does, so I changed it from 'software volume control' to 'hardware volume control'. When I used the slider in UAPP to increase volume, it massively increased the output from the speakers !

Of course, I don't know if this will work with the Dragonfly, but it maybe worth a try because I believe, quite a few dacs seem to initialise at low volume ( I have an Audinst dac which always turns the volume down on my computer to 49% until I turn it back up ! ).

Have you tried UAPP at all - there is a trial version which you should be able to try this with.

If you do have UAPP, then you are probably wondering how this could help you listen to Spotify !

Well that brings me to the fiddly bit - you will need a powered hub or Y cable to do this and it will only work if you have already found that UAPP can increase the volume from your Dragonfly.  You would need to connect your phone to the Dragonfly and power for the hub or Y cable, then start UAPP ( I'm presuming the vol setting in UAPP is already on 'hardware' ). When UAPP opens, move the volume slider up to max and then exit UAPP. You then need to disconnect your phone from the hub or Y cable but must leave power on to the Dragonfly via the hub or Y cable. It should only need to be disconnected for a second or so and then reconnect your phone. You will then need to reduce the Android/phone volume to avoid blowing your ear drums ! Then start Spotify !

I'd be interested to hear if this works with your Dragonfly.

There is also a slider under the Mixer tab of settings and that can control overall audio output volume.  I had it happen to me on a recent trial on my tablet.  I could not figure out why it was so low.  Run it full up and then control volume from slider on main playback screen.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #5,732 of 9,526
I really appreciate the info! Some great people on here. Thanks again. I'll let you know if it works.
Guidostrunk:
I don't know what you have tried re this problem but I have a suggestion ( although it's a bit of a fiddle ! ).

I recently purchased some little USB speakers and found that when first plugged into a computer, the volume was low. This wasn't a problem on the computer, because I just increased the volume but when I connected the speakers to my phone, I found that although the Android/phone volume control worked, the output from the speakers was very low even at max volume. Anyway, I remembered that there was a setting in UAPP which alters what the volume control ( in UAPP ) does, so I changed it from 'software volume control' to 'hardware volume control'. When I used the slider in UAPP to increase volume, it massively increased the output from the speakers !

Of course, I don't know if this will work with the Dragonfly, but it maybe worth a try because I believe, quite a few dacs seem to initialise at low volume ( I have an Audinst dac which always turns the volume down on my computer to 49% until I turn it back up ! ).

Have you tried UAPP at all - there is a trial version which you should be able to try this with.

If you do have UAPP, then you are probably wondering how this could help you listen to Spotify !

Well that brings me to the fiddly bit - you will need a powered hub or Y cable to do this and it will only work if you have already found that UAPP can increase the volume from your Dragonfly.  You would need to connect your phone to the Dragonfly and power for the hub or Y cable, then start UAPP ( I'm presuming the vol setting in UAPP is already on 'hardware' ). When UAPP opens, move the volume slider up to max and then exit UAPP. You then need to disconnect your phone from the hub or Y cable but must leave power on to the Dragonfly via the hub or Y cable. It should only need to be disconnected for a second or so and then reconnect your phone. You will then need to reduce the Android/phone volume to avoid blowing your ear drums ! Then start Spotify !

I'd be interested to hear if this works with your Dragonfly.

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #5,737 of 9,526
Yes, we are stupid enough
biggrin.gif
and in general I would like to avoid absolute bashing of DAP (digital audio players), but my personal outline:

For the beginning and surely enough superior sound quality when paired with better DAC/amps and broader headphones matching flexibility. Then, you have unmatched software (player) flexibility, much better UI in general because of the underlying Android OS (which in turn allows greater tweaking), then network streaming, on-line streaming, Tidal, Spotify, video streaming ... etc. Smartphone is basically mini computer in hand. To this day, every DAP UI I've tried feels outdated, it's hustle to use and software features and/or upgrades are abysmal to say the least. More importantly you are stuck with what you have. I'm really not sure what the future holds for DAP

Funny enough, I've bough iFi iDSD Micro for almost the same UK price as Ibasso DX90 and don't even want to begin explaining how superior DAC/Headphone/Analogue stage section is. Let alone the feature set.

Here comes the hope that Android L will bring universal and native USB audio support so that is one is not tide up to UAPP as it's getting really tiring. iOS could do it ages ago and it's just baffling why Android is lagging behind.

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #5,738 of 9,526
  Why don't people just buy a separate device like an X5 which ahs everything inside already if they want to listen on the move to good quality music?

Different taste? 
Different needs?
Different budget?

I could go on all night.....

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #5,739 of 9,526

Here comes the hope that Android L will bring universal and native USB audio support so that is one is not tide up to UAPP as it's getting really tiring. iOS could do it ages ago and it's just baffling why Android is lagging behind.

looks like native usb is pretty good in Android lollipop, but not yet for hi-rez.
so you won't need uapp if you only have CD 16/44 files to play, and i guess it downsamples higher rez stuff, so you can get away without uapp unless you want to play hi-rez files at their inherent high rates/

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #5,740 of 9,526

Their should be a simple solution to the power consumption error issue on some Sony xperia Smartphones.

Well, browsing to a file and editing it every time you connect the USB device is a bit cumbersome for everyday use,, but thanks a lot for pointing to this solution: it may be a saver in an emergency situation, where you need to connect something badly.

Nov 21, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #5,741 of 9,526

looks like native usb is pretty good in Android lollipop, but not yet for hi-rez.
so you won't need uapp if you only have CD 16/44 files to play, and i guess it downsamples higher rez stuff, so you can get away without uapp unless you want to play hi-rez files at their inherent high rates/

Good to hear. Just noticed on xda-developers that new unofficial CyanogenMod 12 (Lollipop) is ready for HTC ONE M7. I may have a play with it. It's relatively safe as I have MultiBoot installed so will use it as secondary OS. I'm not fussed about native hi-res support (and don't mind separate app for that) ... it's just day to day listening duties with 16/44 PCM.

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #5,743 of 9,526
Sorry Guidostrunk, I don't have that particular DAC. But I do want to confirm the following:
USB audio out successfully works on the Nexus 5 with Lollipop(5.0). I'm using it with a Audioengine D1 DAC connected with a USB OTG cable from monoprice. btw, there's nothing to configure on the phone just plug it in and use any audio app.

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #5,744 of 9,526
I upgraded to Android 5 on my Nexus 7 2012 (sideloaded using adb as the OTA wasn't being pushed). Native USB audio does not work with the two DACs I tried (cheap Startech thing and Matrix mini.)

With cyanogenmod both DACs work fine.

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #5,745 of 9,526
  Native USB audio does not work with the two DACs I tried (cheap Startech thing and Matrix mini.)

What are the exact models of these USB DAC?
Thanks!

I maintain a list of USB DACs not working with Google Nexus X so that the Android audio team could fix their native USB audio.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5685#post_11042764
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3XYy1FuzDUeRkdUdlhMRnQzaUk/edit

By the way, the normal procedure is to create a new Google issue when a USB DAC doesn't work with a Google Nexus device:
https://code.google.com/p/android-developer-preview/issues/detail?id=79

"As mentioned at comment #1345 above, this is the initial support.
I know there are more use cases and features that are not yet supported (for example "audiophile" and multi-channel).
And there are combinations of Android devices and USB peripherals that don't work.
I can't commit to supporting everything, but I do want to increase peripheral coverage and add the most critical missing features.

As this issue is now closed, please feel free to file new issues here for your favorite features and (class-compliant) USB audio peripherals that don't work.
Please include the exact manufacturer name and model, a link to the USB peripheral page, a short description of which Android device you used, what you expected to have happen, and what actually happened.
Thanks!"
[Android audio team]
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614#c1347

Users who are viewing this thread

Back