Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 14, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #5,206 of 9,526
you connect directly to the phone, but to get the real potential you need an amp before the earphone to sound better, this is what i read about, but mine didnt arrived yet..

Wow, that's great because it cuts down on clutter and extra weight by directly connecting the DAC.  Look forward to hearing how rate the SQ.

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #5,207 of 9,526

Wow, that's great because it cuts down on clutter and extra weight by directly connecting the DAC.  Look forward to hearing how rate the SQ.

Yes I actually wish a couple other portable dacs would do this, the reason they do not normallyis because it is much safer and easier to have an adapter into a micro usb connection then micro to usb(because of the thinness and weak form of the micro usb, breaks would be common) I love the idea though, I actually am waiting for raf's impressions because I am thinking about getting one this fall and or christmas. 

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #5,208 of 9,526
  Yes I actually wish a couple other portable dacs would do this, the reason they do not normallyis because it is much safer and easier to have an adapter into a micro usb connection then micro to usb(because of the thinness and weak form of the micro usb, breaks would be common) I love the idea though, I actually am waiting for raf's impressions because I am thinking about getting one this fall and or christmas. 

the only problem is that this android dac only 48/16 bits... not 96/24 bits :frowning2:

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #5,209 of 9,526
A small 24-bit/96kHz USB DAC/amp (AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2) review:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/08/audioquest-dragonfly-v1-2-dacheadphone-amplifier-review/

Samsung Galaxy S5 >> USB OTG adapter cable >> AudioQuest DragonFly >> IEM

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #5,211 of 9,526
"As a DAC/amp combo (used to directly drive headphones), again, I prefer the Dragonfly to the Carat-EMERALD and HP-A3 for all headphones I've tried with all three of them. I have found that from the standpoint of directly driving several headphones I've tried with it, the Dragonfly is sonically comparable to directly driving those headphones from the likes of the Lavry DA11 and ASUS Xonar Essence One (though with less overall drive than either), but not at the level of the Fostex HP-A8C, which is fast-growing into one of my favorite audio components, the new Fostex flagship being possibly the best of the DAC/headphone amp combos I've so far used. What's remarkable, though, is how well the Dragonfly holds its own, at its size and price. All things considered, it's nothing short of extraordinary.

Some of the over-ear headphones I've used with it so far include the beyerdynamic T5p, Sennheiser HD 650, Sennheiser HD 700, Sennheiser HD 800, HiFiMAN HE-400, HiFiMAN HE-6, Audeze LCD-2, Audeze LCD-3, and the Fostex TH-900. And I'll continue to use the Dragonfly with those, with the exceptions of the HE-6 and the HD 800. With the HE-6, it simply felt underpowered, which is not anything for the diminutive Dragonfly to be ashamed of, as many dedicated desktop amps shrink at the sight of this headphone. The HD 800 could be driven by the Dragonfly to volume levels exceeding what I can tolerate, but sounds rather dry in this pairing, relative to my favorite HD800-driving amps. With the other headphones, though, it's easy to find satisfaction, and I've already used it as a hotel rig with the Audeze LCD-3, and it helped keep me from missing my primary rigs while away... [Jude]
http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #5,212 of 9,526

Hi. I can't see any pictures online of the L15.  Does it have a regular size female socket at the non-phone end, like most OTG cables?

I see the android model has a micro usb plug.   Are you meant to connect to a usb-otg cable or directly into the phone?   (assume you would need a usb-otg cable for it to work?)

Here's a picture of the L15 cable with my E07k.  The cable is fairly short (70mm excluding connectors & strain relief) and is a mini-USB to micro-USB OTG cable so I just stack it with my S3 and run this cable.  You connect it straight from amp/dac's miniUSB port to the phone's microUSB port  The E07k & E17 (also E18) are all Amp+DAC so that's all you need to drive your IEM/Headphones.  The Fiio E18 is a micro-USB cable device so it includes a micro-USB to micro-USB OTG cable unlike the mini-USB E07k & E17.

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #5,213 of 9,526
"As a DAC/amp combo (used to directly drive headphones), again, I prefer the Dragonfly to the Carat-EMERALD and HP-A3 for all headphones I've tried with all three of them. I have found that from the standpoint of directly driving several headphones I've tried with it, the Dragonfly is sonically comparable to directly driving those headphones from the likes of the Lavry DA11 and ASUS Xonar Essence One (though with less overall drive than either), but not at the level of the Fostex HP-A8C, which is fast-growing into one of my favorite audio components, the new Fostex flagship being possibly the best of the DAC/headphone amp combos I've so far used. What's remarkable, though, is how well the Dragonfly holds its own, at its size and price. All things considered, it's nothing short of extraordinary.

Some of the over-ear headphones I've used with it so far include the beyerdynamic T5p, Sennheiser HD 650, Sennheiser HD 700, Sennheiser HD 800, HiFiMAN HE-400, HiFiMAN HE-6, Audeze LCD-2, Audeze LCD-3, and the Fostex TH-900. And I'll continue to use the Dragonfly with those, with the exceptions of the HE-6 and the HD 800. With the HE-6, it simply felt underpowered, which is not anything for the diminutive Dragonfly to be ashamed of, as many dedicated desktop amps shrink at the sight of this headphone. The HD 800 could be driven by the Dragonfly to volume levels exceeding what I can tolerate, but sounds rather dry in this pairing, relative to my favorite HD800-driving amps. With the other headphones, though, it's easy to find satisfaction, and I've already used it as a hotel rig with the Audeze LCD-3, and it helped keep me from missing my primary rigs while away... [Jude]
http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp
sorry i didnt know that was a amp/dac, works fine on android phones too?

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #5,215 of 9,526
Amazon?

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #5,216 of 9,526

Here's a picture of the L15 cable with my E07k.  ...

Thanks a lot for all the info!

Quote:
  A small 24-bit/96kHz USB DAC/amp (AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2) review:

Nice review.  It sells for around £130 here compared to £120 for the FiiO E18 and £100 for the FiiO E17.  Does it draw much current from the phone?  (gotta be careful with the S3
regular_smile .gif
)

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #5,217 of 9,526
According to the review:
"I snatched approximately six hours of audio playback from the Samsung [Galaxy S5] between charges."
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/08/audioquest-dragonfly-v1-2-dacheadphone-amplifier-review/

More than 100 different USB DACs are reportedly working directly with the Galaxy S3.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5160#post_10770856

Even running alone, a lot of S3 had a sudden death.
https://www.google.fr/search?q=GalaxyS3+sudden+death.&rls=com.microsoft:fr&rlz=&gfe_rd=cr&ei=TjzuU_HdIsqA8QfDmICYDQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=GalaxyS3+sudden+death

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #5,218 of 9,526
a lot of S3 had a sudden death.

Most of the chat online about the issue was in 2013, so looks like it was sorted by an update.  It comes with 2-year warranty anyway.
regular_smile .gif

"I snatched approximately six hours of audio playback from the Samsung [Galaxy S5] between charges."

That's impressive.  Anyhow, I doubt it would cause burnout of the S3, as it's not going to be drawing as much current as Stan's Bifrost (one assumes).  

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #5,219 of 9,526
  Most of the chat online about the issue was in 2013, so looks like it was sorted by an update.  It comes with 2-year warranty anyway.
regular_smile%20.gif

That's impressive.  Anyhow, I doubt it would cause burnout of the S3, as it's not going to be drawing as much current as Stan's Bifrost (one assumes).  

"Who knows what evil lurks in the USB Ports of DACs? The Shadow knows!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back