Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 2, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #5,146 of 9,526
how to use the Fiio e17 with an android phone like the samsung galaxy ones ? I know people have asked this before but I can't seem to find a definite answer, I know I need an OTG cable, which I already have btw but what do I need more?

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #5,147 of 9,526
  how to use the Fiio e17 with an android phone like the samsung galaxy ones ? I know people have asked this before but I can't seem to find a definite answer, I know I need an OTG cable, which I already have btw but what do I need more?

Plug you OTG cable to the E17 and you phone like this:

Set the E17 to USB mode and depending on your Android version, all the audio from your phone should be streamed across to the E17 at 16/48k.

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #5,148 of 9,526
  how to use the Fiio e17 with an android phone like the samsung galaxy ones ? 

Which Samsung Galaxy?

The FiiO E17 is reportedly working with Samsung Galaxy S3 / Note2 / S4 / Note3.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5085#post_10713638

It can't work with a Galaxy S2, because the S2 doesn't have a functional USB host feature.

how to use the Fiio e17 with an android phone like the samsung galaxy ones ? 
I know people have asked this before but I can't seem to find a definite answer, I know I need an OTG cable, which I already have btw but what do I need more?

"Plug & Play, if every USB audio-required component is functional:

. Required software
It depends on your Android device: native USB Audio (i.e. USB audio-enabled Android device) or eXtream USB audio (i.e. USB host-enabled Android device with the USB Audio Player PRO app available on Google Play store).

. Required hardware: Android device, compatible USB DAC, USB OTG cable
The Android device should be a USB On-The-Go (OTG) device, i.e. sometimes a USB host device sometimes a USB peripheral device.
The USB DAC should be a standard USB DAC compliant with PC or Mac.
A USB OTG cable is needed to connect an Android device to a standard USB DAC.
A USB OTG cable is just a USB cable with a "pin 4-connected to-pin 5" micro USB plug, so that the OTG-featured Android device can be configured to USB host mode, able to interwork with a USB peripheral like a USB DAC." [FAQ]
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5085#post_10713638

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #5,149 of 9,526
Shame since I have the S2 :frowning2: 

But honestly I was planning on using it more with my tablet which is the tab pro 10.1... I think someone said it worked with the note 2014 which is kinda the same tablet but with more ram so I'm guessing it would work with the tab pro too?

Plug you OTG cable to the E17 and you phone like this:

Set the E17 to USB mode and depending on your Android version, all the audio from your phone should be streamed across to the E17 at 16/48k.

Weird for some reason it doesn't work on my tab that easily :/

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #5,151 of 9,526
  Android noob question: once android L devices are released, does this mean I can finally use my usb dac with the google play music app?

If I understand the situation correctly, not quite. It seems Google was a bit trigger-happy with their announced baked-in support for USB DACs in Android L, and the early reports from people with Android L seem to be a bit of a step back for devices that previously supported USB audio. Looks like you'll still need to find a device that's been confirmed to work before purchasing; we're not quite to the point where you can confidently assume an Android with any given variant of the OS supports USB audio. 

Fortunately, it does appear that this is changing, and it's on Google's radar... Can't wait for it to be an automatic feature on all devices!

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #5,153 of 9,526
  That sucks. Guess google dropped the ball again >.<

Eh, I'm just glad there's light at the end of the tunnel. I get that they had a million other priorities, and that our group of clamoring enthusiasts is just one of who-knows-how-many. I'm just ready to have it truly up and running :wink:. In the meantime, there's the fine work that Davy has put in with UAPP to keep us happy!

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #5,156 of 9,526
Folks

Here in the UK, the Galaxy S3 has come down to the same price as the Moto G 4G (as an upgrade).  

Just wondering which would be best choice for USB audio?  Would the Samsung still work with a custom KitKat rom?  

Sorry if it's been discussed a zillion times.  Thanks

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #5,159 of 9,526
  Folks

Here in the UK, the Galaxy S3 has come down to the same price as the Moto G 4G (as an upgrade).  

Just wondering which would be best choice for USB audio?  Would the Samsung still work with a custom KitKat rom?  

Sorry if it's been discussed a zillion times.  Thanks

My US version S3 worked with USB audio using the stock ROM. I used it with a FiiO E18 and a Schiit USB Uber Bifrost. The Bifrost required a powered USB Hub or else one would risk destroying their phone. When I first hooked up my S3 to the Bifrost my S3 burned out. Luckily it was replaced under warranty. Apparently Samsung messed up on the USB hardware, when a USB device draws above a certain level of current the S3 can self destruct, hence the powered Hub protects the S3. My Apple iPod Touch 5G warns you on the screen about too much current being drawn without frying. The FiiO E18 doesn't draw power from the phone and does not endanger the S3. I'm not sure how the Non-USA version of the S3 behaves.

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #5,160 of 9,526
I tried connecting fiio e10 to my xperia z2 and the battery drained by 1% every minute.. Any idea why?

The E10 doesn't have its own power supply, nor a battery, and is entirely dependent on the 5V bus power. I'm surprised it even worked. Try a powered hub with it, although if you can't get  the ones already mentioned here it may not work or work differently (ie some will charge both the phone and power the E10, some might power the E10, some won't run the E10).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back