Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 10, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #4,516 of 9,526

According to the UAPP/UARP web site, only the Galaxy Note 1 I717 can work with a UAPP/UARP-compliant USB DAC [probably thanks to its functional USB host feature].
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

Thanks! I'll check the version now
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #4,517 of 9,526

Now that I have a 128GB microSD card, I'm mostly using the Dragonfly to be honest. It only really works via UAPP, so the increased local storage makes a world of difference as to how usable it is for me with the phone - with enough local storage the form factor just puts it over the top. It's basically an inline DAC/amp, which is really where you want to be with this whole game if you're going for truly portable, rather than transportable.

When I want to just listen to Spotify and stuff then the Pico still serves very nicely there.

Got to agree with that...My Xperia Z with a Dragonfly is far easier to use and carry than my previous rig.

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #4,518 of 9,526
  Try swapping the cable. I had a similar problem, there was some dirt in the connection causing the USB connection to rapidly switch on and off, just putting the cable in and out a few times solved my issue.

Thanks for both of your responses mate!

I've tried three different cables now (two of which came with the E18) and still getting the same result.

Even if the connect/disconnect issue disappears, the fast forward issue remains.

EDIT: Finally, USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO seems to be working..

But why is THAT working, and nothing else?

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #4,519 of 9,526
Hi folks

I assume that the larger Hifimediy Sabre U2 async model (with usb A plug) is not compatible with android OTG?

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=123

When connected to to a Samsung Galaxy tab 3.8.0, the file plays in UAPP (trial) but there is no sound.  Also UAPP gives error message.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #4,520 of 9,526

Try swapping the cable. I had a similar problem, there was some dirt in the connection causing the USB connection to rapidly switch on and off, just putting the cable in and out a few times solved my issue.

Thanks for both of your responses mate!

I've tried three different cables now (two of which came with the E18) and still getting the same result.

Even if the connect/disconnect issue disappears, the fast forward issue remains.

EDIT: Finally, USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO seems to be working..

But why is THAT working, and nothing else?

UAPP is not just a music player, it got it's own interface to the USB unlike other which still uses the default Android framework, most likely your phone does not natively support USB audio and UAPP cured that.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #4,521 of 9,526
UAPP is really a good player.   it is just Too bad that UAPP cannot access files stored on Wireless HD !  Am I correct ? 

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #4,523 of 9,526
  Hi folks

I assume that the larger Hifimediy Sabre U2 async model (with usb A plug) is not compatible with android OTG?

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=123

When connected to to a Samsung Galaxy tab 3.8.0, the file plays in UAPP (trial) but there is no sound.  Also UAPP gives error message.

According to the UAPP web site, the Galaxy Tab 3.8 and the HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 are compatible with UAPP.
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

Apparently, some component of your setup is not functional.

Each component should be separately tested:

. Test the USB DAC with a PC or a Mac:

PC >> HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

. Test the Android device with a USB OTG adapter cable and a simpler USB peripheral like a USB mouse or a USB keyboard:

Android device >> USB OTG adapter  >> USB mouse

. Test the setup with a USB OTG adapter :

Android device >> USB OTG adapter  >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

"Important: connect your device BEFORE starting the UAPP app, otherwise it will not get detected!"

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4485#post_10438894
FAQ:
http://goo.gl/A4dCnP

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #4,524 of 9,526
Another data point:

Sony Xperia M (CM11) and Nuforce uDAC/uDAC-SE
Didn't work with stock ROM (Telecom NZ Android 4.1) with or without UAPP.
Works with and without UAPP (playback pauses/interruptions with Android OS, flawless with UAPP)

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #4,525 of 9,526
Should I blindly get the Fiio E18 for my Moto G(most probably)? Or is there anything else within the budget or for a bit more that I should get?

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #4,526 of 9,526
Guys, I will receive my HUGO next wee, and still I am looking for the best source for my HUGO. My main problem with most sources is the limited capacity of the devices to store all those BIG high-res files: I have +200 Gb of music ! 

--> is there a way to access files stored on a portable WiFi HD ?   Like iDevices can play their files stored on a  Seagate Wireless Plus 1TB hard drive ?

Also, can you tell me if on Android phones, is it possible to use PHYSICAL butons to     "pause"   or   ">SHIP to next track"    music tracks ?

thanks again for you help.  

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #4,527 of 9,526
Geek Wave

LH Labs (a division of Light Harmonic) has started a campaign in IGG about a DAC +Amp +Battery +Storage with the ability to play streaming and DSD files.

In the Geek Force forum, Larry Ho was taking a about other varieties. Geek Wave fi (femto clock + internal upgrades) and Geek Wave Xfi (Wave fi + dual-mono ES9018K2M + FPGA).

The later I was interested in. Will give Hugo a run for its money.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #4,528 of 9,526
Geek Wave

LH Labs (a division of Light Harmonic) has started a campaign in IGG about a DAC +Amp +Battery +Storage with the ability to play streaming and DSD files.

In the Geek Force forum, Larry Ho was taking a about other varieties. Geek Wave fi (femto clock + internal upgrades) and Geek Wave Xfi (Wave fi + dual-mono ES9018K2M + FPGA).

The later I was interested in. Will give Hugo a run for its money.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

links please to all those interesting news...

thanks

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #4,529 of 9,526
Apr 12, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #4,530 of 9,526
Question:  is the Sony Z2 the ONLY Android phone that has (1)  option for 24-bit output to external DACs and (2) support for 128 Gb micro-SD card ?

We have limited choice is this is the case !! .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back