Android phones and USB DACs
Mar 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #4,411 of 9,526

dikkiedirk is referring to the lack of network support within UAPP.

It would be lovely for those of us who have phones with limited on board storage. Or who would simply like to carry TB's of lossless music about (streamed via wi-fi from a external hard drive using a RavPower FileHub or similar). Only solution (as yet untested) that I can see to this issue with UAPP (at present) would be to rip music (or merge existing tracks) to a single album length file...

Fine for those of us that haven't yet starting ripping a vast library of CD's to lossless (uh, as in myself), were there the time allowed to do so.

Do I recall somebody saying that Neutron (or another player) supports streaming albums/playlists over a network/Wi-Fi ? Don't much matter to me if it doesn't support hi-res, plain old 44.1/16 will do the job.

I stream using gizmo/jriver and it sounds great.  I have yet to configure it so that I can use it outside of the house, but it doesn't sound too hard to do.

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #4,413 of 9,526
Running my E18 all day has no significant effect on my GN3 battery. It drains at it's normal speed regardless.

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #4,415 of 9,526
Are there any OTG USB DAC's that don't have their own power supply? My phone wouldn't last an hour if it had to power my DAC and amp as well.

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #4,416 of 9,526
Are there any OTG USB DAC's that don't have their own power supply? My phone wouldn't last an hour if it had to power my DAC and amp as well.

I think I've seen someone hook up a dragonfly, alo audio Island and meridian explorer but it drained battery life pretty fast if i remember correctly. 

@Danba: Is there a list of Dac/amps that work with the nexus 5 + UAPP?  

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #4,418 of 9,526
  I think I've seen someone hook up a dragonfly, alo audio Island and meridian explorer but it drained battery life pretty fast if i remember correctly. 

Bitzie USB DAC/USB Headphone Amp: a USB bus-powered USB DAC
http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/bitzie-usb-dac-external-soundcard.htm
"USB DAC for Samsung Galaxy S3 Android Jellybean...
7.5hrs continuous playing!"

The Nexus 5 using USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) should work with any USB DAC:

. listed on the UAPP/UARP web site (reliability: 100%)
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

. reportedly working with an Android device elsewhere or here (reliability: 99.99999%)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4410#post_10400172
If there is any issue, eXtream should easily fix it.

The above reasoning is based on:

. The USB host feature of the Nexus 5 can provide all USB services possible (isochronous transfer ...) able to communicate with a USB DAC, because the Nexus 5 is reportedly working with a FiiO E17 USB DAC/amp.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47195206&postcount=9

. Once the USB audio soft-driver of UAPP running on an Android device is able to drive a USB DAC, the same USB audio soft-driver interfacing a USB host driver able to communicate with a USB DAC and running on any other Android device is able to drive that USB DAC

. Up to now, as far as I know, any USB DAC reportedly working with an Android device (i.e. driven by the native USB audio feature of an Android device) can be driven by the USB audio soft-driver of UAPP/UARP

. As the Nexus 5 can interwork with the Fiio E17 with requires 500 mA, the maximum power required by a USB DAC, the Nexus 5 using UAPP can work with any compatible USB DAC without the need of inserting a self-powered USB hub.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/3300#post_9905127

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #4,419 of 9,526

I experimented with a Xperia to a Dragonfly and played music for 8 hours until I hit 25% battery. That is fine for me. What eats the power is the screen in this rig so I let it time out.

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #4,420 of 9,526
Hi,

Has anyone got USB audio to work on a Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 Mini? I've seen the Mini on a list of non compatible devices. However, I've also seen that some people have been able to enable OTG USB for nonaudio devicies. I've been searching for a long time but I was wondering if it is possible to get this to work on the Mini. It's time to upgrade my phone but I want something as small as possible. Please let me know if you've had any success. Thanks!

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #4,421 of 9,526
Using an iBasso D-Zero with my Note 3 on 4.3. Plug and play & sounds great.

Mar 28, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #4,422 of 9,526
  Hi,

Has anyone got USB audio to work on a Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 Mini? I've seen the Mini on a list of non compatible devices. However, I've also seen that some people have been able to enable OTG USB for nonaudio devicies. I've been searching for a long time but I was wondering if it is possible to get this to work on the Mini. It's time to upgrade my phone but I want something as small as possible. Please let me know if you've had any success. Thanks!

What about a Moto X?  It doesn't have the specs of the galaxy, but it doesn't have the bloatware either.  It runs very fast due to a near pure google experience with only a few motorola apps on it all of which are great.  Battery life is great and it's fast despite not having the top of the line hardware specs.  Just change your system to android runtime and it gets even faster than running with dalvik cache. But not all apps will work with ART.  I'm enjoying my moto x and RSA predator setup with jvc ha-fx850 IEM.  

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #4,423 of 9,526

Thanks to Theogenes for taking the time to answer our questions as regards the FileHub.

I'm a bit mystified if you hoekeat are referring to using the FileHub as a router for an existing Wi-Fi broadband network, or as I had originally queried Theogenes ; will an Android phone allow itself to access it's own mobile internet (network providers' data connection) while connected by Wi-Fi to the FileHub (FileHub is NOT connected to a wider Wi-Fi network or hotspot).

Or or are you positing the following (nothing more than the phone plus RavPower) :

- enable wi-fi hotspot on phone
- connect RavPower to phones wi-fi hotspot, and set up RavPower as a router for the phones wi-fi hotspot
- connect phone to RavPower (to stream media from a connected hard drive)
- phone can also connect to it's own mobile data connection via the RavPower wi-fi

So the phone can broadcast it's data connection OUT via Wi-Fi and connect to the web by virtue of the fact it is connecting to the Ravpowers network (powered by the phones own network data) ?

If that is the case, how bad.

As for the one file at a time playback issue in USBAPP using the RavPower - I can't verify this at the minute but didn't iTunes used to allow a whole album be ripped as one continuous track ? Couldn't this be used a means to circumvent the one track at a time limitation...

I apologize, I wasn't particularly clear. Based on my understanding: your phone or mobile device connects to the FileHub via Wifi, so it (your device) cannot access another type of data network (at least, no devices that I'm aware of can do this). To bypass the lack of connectivity to the internet, the FileHub can connect to a separate Wifi network that is available and route your internet requests to that Wifi network. So you would need to have a Wifi network handy to hop onto (like at home/work/etc). The utility of the internet passthrough feature seems necessarily limited when you're out and about, as there might or might not be a Wifi network accessible where you are at any given time. 

If it helps, this is how Ravpower describes it on the Amazon product page: "Portable WLAN Hot Spot - Bypass your internet access to your existing Wi-Fi router,so you may access any data in the SD or HDD while surfing the internet simultaneously. (Allow 5 maximum connections at the same time for data sharing,or connecting to the internet service)."

Let me know if this did not explain the situation or if there are additional questions! :)

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #4,424 of 9,526
Samsung Galaxy S3, FiiO E18 & Spiderpodium:
http://androidspin.com/2011/02/18/accessory-review-breffo-spiderpodium-universal-gadget-grip-and-more/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49206767&postcount=74

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #4,425 of 9,526
Nice find DanBa! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back