Android phones and USB DACs
Mar 15, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #4,351 of 9,526
Hey folks, been haunting a bit on this and similar threads around here... wondering if anybody's put together a reference on how much battery life we're getting using usb out of a phone to a dac/amp? - esp. without using a battery pack?

I mean, I know there must be a difference between the e18 and others like the hifimidy android dac, the uha-4 or dzero... but I can't seem to find much in terms of numbers.

thx!

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #4,353 of 9,526
As a reminder, you don't have to use a USB hub in order to connect external storage to an Android device while using a USB DAC. You can use a Ravpower FileHub as mentioned here. HTH!

Sorry I'm a bit late to this but I have just been playing with various connectors, adapters, hubs etc with a tablet so I thought I would have a go with my Moto G after reading this.
I presume you ( swab ) are updated to the update to 4.4.2 ! ( Originally the Moto G worked with OTG attached drives but this was lost with the original 4.4.2 update. However, that has now been more or less sorted by a further update ).

I had confirmed that this new update was working but had not tried with a hub. I have a micro USB OTG Y adapter which allows further power to be supplied, but the first thing to realise is that this does not power the phone - it only powers the hub and items attached to the hub. I can confirm this is the case with a couple of hubs I tried with dac and drive attached. I played some tracks through the dac from the phone OK, but the drive was NOT recognised on the hub ( although it is recognised and can be accessed when attached directly to the OTG adapter ). So, it looks as though Motorola/Google have only partially solved the problem. ( My Samsung Note 8 can access the drive and dac and a mouse/keyboard all attached to the hub at the same time although the hub does need to be powered ). So this agrees with your findings with your hub experiments and it is unlikely to work unless there are further relevant updates.

It would seem that your best bet is some kind of wireless access to external files such as that suggested by Theogenes, above, and plug your phone directly into the dac via OTG.

Many thanks to you both for posting your suggestions/findings in relation to this. Further experiments with the unitek hub I referred to pretty much tallys with dynacampjims findings - the Moto G doesn't want to see the flash drive, and was fussy about how it would work with the DAC while connected to the hub. I do love Theogenes idea of using a FileHub, but I was hoping to attain a sub €10 solution as opposed to a €40 one.

As a longtime iOS iPod Touch user, where 50+ GB's of offline music was normal, I'm slowly adapting to the low cost Android smartphone/DAP/USB audio roadmap, a roller coaster ride with as many highs as lows, but with some magnificent scenery along the way. I might roll the dice on one of those cheap Android OTG USB Hubs and see if that works with the Moto G. However I am also sorely tempted by the FileHub + USB hard disk streaming TB's of lossless audio solution.

A quick question relating to the FileHub Theogenes : can your smartphone access mobile network internet while also connected to FileHub wi-fi network ? I seem to recall that could be an issue with wi-fi storage and smartphones...

swab

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #4,356 of 9,526
  What is the RAY? Please point me to it.

Any changes of getting the iDSD Nano working with a Galaxy S4 and streaming player?

Sony Xperia Ray,crackin wee phone same size as the Fiio x3 but half as thin can hold a 64gig sd card and play 24bit flac from its music player,sound is good but with otg to a good DAC sound is excellent!I picked up a new one from ebay last week for £70 complete with mh1 earphones.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #4,357 of 9,526
Yo,

In the past USB audio worked with my HRT Headstreamer, but now it doesn't. I use a Galaxy S3 on JB 4.3.1. The audio is mute and skips in 4-8 second intervals. The DAC works fine on my computer but not on the phone.

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #4,358 of 9,526
  Sony Xperia Ray,crackin wee phone same size as the Fiio x3 but half as thin can hold a 64gig sd card and play 24bit flac from its music player,sound is good but with otg to a good DAC sound is excellent!I picked up a new one from ebay last week for £70 complete with mh1 earphones.

Actually it'll take a 128GB microSDXC card :)

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #4,359 of 9,526

Just connected a usb powered hub inbetween the DAC and RAY and now it sounds fantastic playing HIREZ 24bit FLAC truly budget setup, and not forgetting the brilliant mh1 headphones that are supplied with the RAY!

Actually it'll take a 128GB microSDXC card :)

Even better!but then the sd card would cost more than the phone!!
eek.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #4,360 of 9,526
I don't feel like buying memorycards for phones and copying over my music. I rather stream it of my network. But UAPP has no streaming ability, eventhough it is the only app that can make my DAC sing upto 24/192. I can select a file in ES file manager and have UAPP play it, but this is rather limited. No artwork. And when a song finishes I have to manually select a new one.

iDevices work nices in this aspect with the 8player app.

Please mr. UAPP developer, give UAPP a proper file-manager with network access and streaming ability(DLNA,UPNP).

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #4,362 of 9,526
Too bad that app does nothing on my phone. Everything still skips and it mute.

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #4,365 of 9,526

Stoner Acoustics UD110v2 DAC just arrived spared no time in getting the dual lock out,Muse the 2nd Law 24bit/96khz
has never sounded sweeter,and rig cost lest than a second hand X3,picke up another Ray from ebay for £50 might use than one for a phone
o2smile.gif

also plays 192 files but downsamples to 96.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back