Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 20, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #4,141 of 9,526
  POWER DRAIN ISSUE.

Not  sure if this has already been addressed but here goes,
                                                                                      I've got a Samsung Galaxy S4 running USB Audio Player Pro 1.0.9, OTG'd to a Fiio E17. The issue is the phone's power is being used really quickly whilst the E17 doesn't appear to be using any power at all....as if the phone is powering the E17!
Has anyone else had a similar experience?  if so, is there a solution as at the moment it makes the setup I have is impractical as the phone is drained of power in approx. 2 hours : (

I also got a power drain issue.
My chain: Galaxy S3 (Android 4.1.2) -> Poweramp -> Fiio E18.
This AMP/DAC is designed to not drain power from the power, but I notice a battery drain also if I turn off the E18 but leave the USB OTG cable connected.
I dont' know if this is normal or not.
The phone must do something while the cable is connected, I think to test if the external device is alive, is right?
There is a way to avoid this?

Yes I know that it can be enough to disconnect the cable, but is not always easy when both this device are in my pockett...

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #4,142 of 9,526
POWER DRAIN ISSUE.

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S4 running USB Audio Player Pro 1.0.9, OTG'd to a Fiio E17. The issue is the phone's power is being used really quickly whilst the E17 doesn't appear to be using any power at all....as if the phone is powering the E17!
Has anyone else had a similar experience?  if so, is there a solution as at the moment it makes the setup I have is impractical as the phone is drained of power in approx. 2 hours : (

Yes, if you look at the battery indicator on the E17, you can see it charging itself through the GS4. That's just how it's designed. I'd rather it NOT be designed that way, but that is how it is currently when using the E17's mini USB.

If you use a Dragonfly, for example, it doesn't need to be charged, and so uses less of your GS4 battery.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #4,143 of 9,526
Thanks for the headsup...gutted. 
                                               I take it there's no known way to avoid this?.....could anyone with more technical know-how suggest a work around or am I 
deadhorse.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #4,144 of 9,526
Yes, if you look at the battery indicator on the E17, you can see it charging itself through the GS4. That's just how it's designed. I'd rather it NOT be designed that way, but that is how it is currently when using the E17's mini USB.

If you use a Dragonfly, for example, it doesn't need to be charged, and so uses less of your GS4 battery.

There is a setting in the Fiio E17 which controls whether USB charging iscon or off. You can use that if you are in a situation where you could run out of power. When you ger home you can change it back and connect to a charger at the same time as you are charging your phone.

If the DragonFly drains less power than the E17, it is not directly because of the battery - when the E17 battery is full no more power is used because of that - but the E17 has a large display, additional analog circuitry, and can provide more power to hard-to-drive headphones.

On the other hand, if you use the E17 with USB charging turned off, it will drain less than the Dragonfly.

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #4,146 of 9,526
There is a setting in the Fiio E17 which controls whether USB charging iscon or off. You can use that if you are in a situation where you could run out of power. When you ger home you can change it back and connect to a charger at the same time as you are charging your phone.

If the DragonFly drains less power than the E17, it is not directly because of the battery - when the E17 battery is full no more power is used because of that - but the E17 has a large display, additional analog circuitry, and can provide more power to hard-to-drive headphones.

On the other hand, if you use the E17 with USB charging turned off, it will drain less than the Dragonfly.

So how long should the dragonfly last? I just discovered it works on my Xperia....

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #4,147 of 9,526

I was looking for something like that but smaller for my Moto G & C5D but couldn't find a 'bespoke' product. Ended up going for a 2.5" portable hdd case instead and in terms of storing them on the go it's perfect but a bit of a squeeze with cables connected. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORICO-PHD-25-2-5-Protective-Protection/dp/B0099D9ZVO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392911800&sr=1-2&keywords=orico

Would probably be too small for an S3 + E18 but a similar case for a 3.5" hdd might be quite practical. 

Guys ... thank you both. The one originally posted by SV_huMMer was a little large, but following the links led me to one in the same range which is just the right length. Still a little wider than necessary but 'pocketable'. 

It's available on US and UK Amazon stores here or here 

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #4,148 of 9,526
I'm having issues. I have a nexus 5 and an AQ dragonfly 1.2. I downloaded the february Snapshot of cm11, but the dragonfly doesn't work. Does anyone have any experience? Do I need a custom kernel to fix the problem?
I know it works with USB audio player but I want it to be able to play on all apps any help would be great. Thanks

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #4,150 of 9,526
  POWER DRAIN ISSUE.

By default, OTG mode makes the phone (host) to provide power to connected peripherals (devices). Which means yes, the phone provides power to your FiiO E17. I don't own the FiiO, but check if there's a swich or something enabling and disabling USB charging on E17. 

Please note that you will most likely still power the DAC cirquitry, while FiiO battery will feed the amp section. At least, that's how things are on my RSA Predator, which is also a battery-powered DAC/AMP.

Another solution COULD be (no warranties here...) is to make a custom OTG cable, with the power wire cut off. You can experient torturing stock OTG cables - they're dirt-cheap anyway. If FiiO can operate with no external power supplied to DAC - then it might work for you. If not - you can still use an external USB battery pack and custom Y-cables to provide data signal from the phone's OTG socket, while feeding power from the pack to FiiO. 

Although, to me, it kind of edges on denying the whole purpose of portability...

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #4,151 of 9,526
I also got a power drain issue.
My chain: Galaxy S3 (Android 4.1.2) -> Poweramp -> Fiio E18.
This AMP/DAC is designed to not drain power from the power, but I notice a battery drain also if I turn off the E18 but leave the USB OTG cable connected.
I dont' know if this is normal or not.
The phone must do something while the cable is connected, I think to test if the external device is alive, is right?
There is a way to avoid this?

Yes I know that it can be enough to disconnect the cable, but is not always easy when both this device are in my pockett...

Using fiio e07e with nexus 4 otg Y cable has to be powered to work.so the cable is plugged into the wall, it Charges my phone and then charges the fiio while connected and music playing. Battery drain not an issue.

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #4,152 of 9,526
I'm having issues. I have a nexus 5 and an AQ dragonfly 1.2. I downloaded the february Snapshot of cm11, but the dragonfly doesn't work. Does anyone have any experience? Do I need a custom kernel to fix the problem?
I know it works with USB audio player but I want it to be able to play on all apps any help would be great. Thanks

Dragonfly's tas1020 usb streaming controller will never work with android so you're out of luck.

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #4,153 of 9,526
Hello everybody

galaxy S4 + OTG + HiFimeDIY Sabre

Is there´s any idea for simultaneous DAC + charging phone - I would be so grateful.
bigsmile_face.gif

May be it´s posible with an 100K Ohm resistor across the ID/Sense (pin / pin 4) and Ground (pin 5) ? Any experience?

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #4,154 of 9,526
If you are at home, you can at least power the DAC through a powered hub. I just confirmed that the DragonFly and the Fiio E17 both works when connected through a powered hub (a 15 year old "MacSense" USB hub, no less). The DragonFly lights up even when the phone is not connected, and the Fiio shows its charging light.

Now, of course this "should" work, but you never know.... but it does not seem to charge the phone, which I also think is expected - a USB host is not supposed to draw power from a client device (or hub). It is possible that you can fool the phone, but can you fool the hub to supply power?

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #4,155 of 9,526
Found it !........thanks for the help guys.....I'll try it out :atsmile:
success! found the usb power off switch, on the E17 and things have definitely improved, not perfect as there still appears to be some power drainage from the DAC as SV_huMMer suggested but a worthwhile improvement......I think I'm gonna buy a spare phone battery and OTG Y cable to cover my bases.... Can anyone point me towards an inexpensive mini-micro-standard OTG Y cable?
Once again, a really big thanks for the help given guys, It's much appreciated : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back