Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 18, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #4,126 of 9,526
  I have a US (Verizon) Galaxy S3 and my FiiO E18 works with it without needing any special app, It works with PowerAmp, Neutron, Spotify and Google's Music Player including streaming from Google's All Access subscription service. It works with Android Jelly Bean 4.3 and worked with the previous version of android as well.

sorry if i sound stupud. jds c5d is an amp/dac combo. So i can use both functions?

You can certainly use it as a chain but if you want to use the DAC and Amp separately/independently you might not be able to. Something you should contact JDS about and word that very carefully. If you want to use it as a chain then you're in business as that's the common use.

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #4,127 of 9,526
Best portable rig ever.

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #4,128 of 9,526
  USB Audio Player PRO is the best sound quality music player to my ears on my setup (Samsung Galaxy Note 3 > Objective DAC > SoundLab Neco V3 amp > MrSpeakers Mad Dog headphones) for the time being.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/638387/best-android-music-player-app/240#post_10120655

The USB Audio Player PRO app can play and output 24-bit audio to a 24-bit USB DAC.

A free trial version of  USB Audio Player PRO is available on Google Play store.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro

It can only play locally stored music files.

I've been trying to get the app's dev to confirm this; are you sure? I was hoping that I could dongle a usb dac off my new Nexus 5 while streaming a TB of flacs off of one of the new wireless hard drives like the Seagate.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #4,129 of 9,526
Feb 18, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #4,130 of 9,526
That is a beautiful rig!

Can someone tell me what the most flexible Android device is, as far as being able to use it with the widest possible range of USB DACs?  I like to stream music using Google Play All Access, so I don't want to be limited to the USB player/recorder app.  And I don't want to be limited to DACs that are specifically made for use with the Android--I'd like to be able to use it with ordinary desktop DACs designed for use with PCs.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #4,131 of 9,526
According to Resonessence Labs, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 is not a USB audio-enabled Android device; it is a USB host-enabled Android device:
http://resonessencelabs.com/dsd-on-iphone-with-herus/

Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 using USB Audio Recorder PRO (or USB Audio Player PRO) > USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> Resonessence Labs Herus USB DAC/headphone amp

Oh, so the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 has a micro-USB (similar to a GS4)? Might be worth upgrading just have that. lol Do you know of any other (significant) improvements over the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0?

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #4,132 of 9,526
That is a beautiful rig!

Can someone tell me what the most flexible Android device is, as far as being able to use it with the widest possible range of USB DACs?  I like to stream music using Google Play All Access, so I don't want to be limited to the USB player/recorder app.  And I don't want to be limited to DACs that are specifically made for use with the Android--I'd like to be able to use it with ordinary desktop DACs designed for use with PCs.

Probably the Note 3, apart from Samsung's having probably the most complete USB audio support it also puts out the most charge through its USB port.

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #4,133 of 9,526
After much umming and ahhing about which dac/amp to get for my phone I decided upon the JDS Labs C5D:

Only received it last night (kudos to Headphoniaks in Spain for the great service & stellar packaging job) so only been able to use it for a few hours, but so far I'm really very pleased with it. I wanted something that would give me comparable SQ to my home O2 & ODAC set up and early impressions are that it more than holds its own 
biggrin.gif

Quick update: I mentioned earlier that my ODAC worked fine with my Moto G but the phone's volume control was disabled. I've since discovered that volume control does in fact work, but I need to power off the phone beforehand or it doesn't detect the ODAC properly - had previously just left the phone in stand by / sleep mode.

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #4,135 of 9,526
.. micro to micro / mini / standard USB OTG cable:
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=55
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4110#post_10278386

Quote:
  I've been trying to get the app's dev to confirm this; are you sure? I was hoping that I could dongle a usb dac off my new Nexus 5 while streaming a TB of flacs off of one of the new wireless hard drives like the Seagate.

As far as I understand, the latest version (1.0.9) of USB Audio Player PRO can only play locally stored music files.

Oh, so the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 has a micro-USB (similar to a GS4)? Might be worth upgrading just have that. lol Do you know of any other (significant) improvements over the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0?

Sorry, I don't know.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #4,137 of 9,526

Also after ideas for a case to house the S3 and the FiiO. Some sort of bi-fold zip-up job with the phone on one side and the DAC on the other would be nice but I can't immediately think of anything suitable. Not too worried about how the cable fits between the two as I've ordered some micro-USP plugs and will make up something to suit the case arrangement.

I'll read back over the lengthy thread to pick up anything I may have missed and hope to be able to contribute my experience as it grows.

Cheers ...

Hi!  Check something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Universal-Travel-Electronics-Accessories/dp/B002VPE1QG/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392898287&sr=1-12&keywords=small+camera+case

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #4,138 of 9,526
POWER DRAIN ISSUE.

Not  sure if this has already been addressed but here goes,
                                                                                      I've got a Samsung Galaxy S4 running USB Audio Player Pro 1.0.9, OTG'd to a Fiio E17. The issue is the phone's power is being used really quickly whilst the E17 doesn't appear to be using any power at all....as if the phone is powering the E17!
Has anyone else had a similar experience?  if so, is there a solution as at the moment it makes the setup I have is impractical as the phone is drained of power in approx. 2 hours : (

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #4,139 of 9,526
Hello everybody

same here: S4 + OTG + HiFimeDIY Sabre: annoying battery drain.
eek.gif

If there´s any idea for solving a possible simultaneous DAC + charging phone I would be so grateful.
bigsmile_face.gif

May be it´s posible with an 100K Ohm resistor across the ID/Sense (pin / pin 4) and Ground (pin 5) ? Any experience?

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #4,140 of 9,526

Also after ideas for a case to house the S3 and the FiiO. Some sort of bi-fold zip-up job with the phone on one side and the DAC on the other would be nice but I can't immediately think of anything suitable. Not too worried about how the cable fits between the two as I've ordered some micro-USP plugs and will make up something to suit the case arrangement.

I'll read back over the lengthy thread to pick up anything I may have missed and hope to be able to contribute my experience as it grows.

Cheers ...

Quote:

Hi!  Check something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Universal-Travel-Electronics-Accessories/dp/B002VPE1QG/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392898287&sr=1-12&keywords=small+camera+case

I was looking for something like that but smaller for my Moto G & C5D but couldn't find a 'bespoke' product. Ended up going for a 2.5" portable hdd case instead and in terms of storing them on the go it's perfect but a bit of a squeeze with cables connected. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORICO-PHD-25-2-5-Protective-Protection/dp/B0099D9ZVO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392911800&sr=1-2&keywords=orico

Would probably be too small for an S3 + E18 but a similar case for a 3.5" hdd might be quite practical. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back