Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #3,721 of 9,526
I can stream Google Play Music, my ripped music on SSD or the all access subscription to my FiiO E18 USB DAC/Amp from my Galaxy S3 via USB. Sweet it is, they have a very nice catalog and you can cache music to your SSD so not to waste mobile bandwidth when on the go.

While I appreciate your input... it does not help me because the N5 has no native USB support. This is why I ask if USB Audio Player Pro will have the ability to run while streaming music from other apps. My personal library took a hit a while back... so I rely on spotify a lot... at the moment.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #3,722 of 9,526
While I appreciate your input... it does not help me because the N5 has no native USB support. This is why I ask if USB Audio Player Pro will have the ability to run while streaming music from other apps. My personal library took a hit a while back... so I rely on spotify a lot... at the moment.

If you're adventurous and technically capable you might consider checking on xda-developers and see if there is a solution for your device. It would most likely involve rooting and installing a custom ROM. If there's a solution, that's probably a great place to check.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #3,723 of 9,526
  I have found my device, got to know if it works with spotify though. the galaxy note 3, with the HRT microstreamer. Will it work with spotify??

Yes, it will.

Native USB audio & eXtream USB audio:

. Music players running on USB audio-enabled Android device (native USB audio): Neutron, Poweramp, YouTube, Spotify, XBMC, Bubble UPnP, stock music player .... (excluding USB Audio Recorder PRO and upcoming USB Audio Player PRO)

. Music players running on USB host-enabled Android device (eXtream USB audio): USB Audio Recorder PRO and USB Audio Player PRO only for the time being

Native USB audio: Galaxy Note 3 & HRT musicStreamer: yes
"Great USB DAC for the Galaxy Note 3!!"
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1JEKH9SY42U4B/ref=cm_aya_cmt?

eXtream USB audio: Galaxy Note 3 & HRT musicStreamer: probably yes, 
because eXtream USB audio is compliant with HRT musicStreamer
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2460#post_9505935
and the Galaxy Note 3 can work with USB DAC like ODAC that requires 500mA  (i.e. max power required by a USB DAC).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/3240#post_9877506
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2025#post_9322048

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #3,725 of 9,526

Seriously, just unlock it and get CyanogenMod on there. It might seem daunting at first but it's well worth doing.

While I wouldn't necessarily recommend an inexperienced user dive into this for Samsung, HTC etc devices, the brilliance of a Nexus device is that even though the nightlies are still technically alpha builds they are 100% stable. I've been running various nightly builds of CM11 since the first release preview without a single problem. USB audio devices have been fully supported for a couple of weeks now, with ability to use it with any app you want.

It's also incredibly straight forward -- a couple of bootloader commands to unlock. One bootloader command to flash a custom recovery. From recovery take a backup of your stock install first just in case you ever want to go back, then wipe and flash the CM and GApps zips and you're done -- and basically impossible to brick your phone, too.

If you have a load of apps you want to backup you can flash SuperSU on your stock ROM first, then use Titanium Backup. You can then restore these backed up apps after you flash CM.

Have a read of this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2507905

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #3,726 of 9,526
Is CyanogenMod Installer functional?

"Installing CyanogenMod has never been easier! Our interactive installation tool makes replacing your current Android operating system with CyanogenMod a breeze."

"CyanogenMod is an aftermarket firmware for a number of cell phones based on the open-source Android operating system. It offers features not found in the official Android based firmwares of vendors."
http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #3,728 of 9,526
Hi Dan Ba and All,

Have you ever tried this new Android Phone before? Oppo Find Clover and Lenovo K900
I read that Oppo come with Burr Brown DAC and K900 came with Wolfson DAC.

Could you pls give some review on this DAP? just curious about this cellphone interm of Sound quality.
Are these handphones good enough without external DAC?

Many many thanks in advance.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #3,729 of 9,526
Ok, time for the first public beta of USB Audio Player PRO!

You can download it here:
USBAudioPlayerPROTrial_0.0.4.apk

Notes:

1. This is a BETA, meaning anything can happen. It can crash, burn, rip your ears apart etc.. or it might just work.. 
    biggrin.gif
  2. There are some (serious) limitations in this demo while we think of the best way to handle demo limits:
  * Time limit of 20 minutes
  * Max. around 8 songs (if you exceed it, it will start giving errors like 'Error playing back')
  * Some other secret limits :)
  1. If you have started UAPP without a DAC connected, it might be needed to force stop the app (or restart your device) before it gets recognized again.
  2. Some mono files are not supported (wav's are ok, mp3's are not).

Features compared to USB Audio Recorder PRO:
  1. Functions as 'regular' media player
  2. Play lists
  3. Gapless playback (if sample rate isn't changing between two audio files)
  4. Support for mp3 files
  5. Support for .m4a etc. files depending on your Android device
  6. Background playback (meaning that you can turn off the screen, go to other apps etc.)
  7. Sample rate conversion (if your DAC doesn't support the audio file's sample rate, it will be converted to a higher sample rate if available or the highest if not available)

Please contact me BY EMAIL (info AT audio-evolution.com) if you find problems. This forum is not a bug report forum for this app!

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #3,730 of 9,526
I can't for the life of me get my LG Optimus G (USA AT&T E970 on latest update, 4.1.2, rooted but otherwise stock) to play with USB audio.

I have a HiFiMeDIY Sabre Tiny. I have a normal USB OTG cable and an OTG Y-cable which I connect to a power source, I've tried UARP and the UAPP beta, and I've tried a couple USB Host apps which claim to make some changes to improve support for USB Host. I tried installing this kernel, which seems to have support for USB audio output judging by the comments in the thread (tried MTP directly to my car stereo through USB, tried the OTG cables > DAC > Aux In). Nothing is working.

I can try converting my LGOG to Nexus 4, but honestly, I think it's easier to trade for an S3 at this point.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas that could get my phone playing USB audio?

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #3,731 of 9,526
Firstly, your LG Optimus G should be able to be functional in USB host mode, i.e. it should be able to work with a simple USB peripheral like a USB mouse or a USB keyboard:

LG Optimus G >> USB OTG adapter cable >> USB mouse

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/3045#post_9781935
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=48676209&postcount=38
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=48687309&postcount=40
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48712846#post48712846

Then, you could try to connect the USB host-enabled LG Optimus G to a USB DAC:

LG Optimus G using USB Audio Recorder PRO >> USB OTG adapter cable >> HiFimeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #3,732 of 9,526
Yeah, I've tried a couple flash drives (FAT32 and NTFS) and a USB mouse. The LED on every device illuminates, so it's getting power from my power source, but I haven't gotten a single one of them to actually mount/function. I have like 8 different USB host apps that I've been trying and none of them are recognizing any devices. 

You guys know a heck of a lot more about this stuff than me, but I haven't found a single person that actually claims to have working USB audio out from an LGOG on any forums. The confirmation by eXtream, and this thread, are the only instances I have found that suggest the LGOG is capable. I think it's time to throw in the towel :frowning2:

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #3,733 of 9,526
I have got John's JDS Labs C5S. It works with both Samsung i9500 (Galaxy S4 International version) and Samsung Note 10.1 2014 LTE (SM-P605) without any mod. It supports all the android apps such as stock music and audio players, Neutron and poweramp.
Sound quality is fantastic!!! (-:

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #3,734 of 9,526
  Yeah, I've tried a couple flash drives (FAT32 and NTFS) and a USB mouse. The LED on every device illuminates, so it's getting power from my power source, but I haven't gotten a single one of them to actually mount/function. I have like 8 different USB host apps that I've been trying and none of them are recognizing any devices. 

You guys know a heck of a lot more about this stuff than me, but I haven't found a single person that actually claims to have working USB audio out from an LGOG on any forums. The confirmation by eXtream, and this thread, are the only instances I have found that suggest the LGOG is capable. I think it's time to throw in the towel :frowning2:

If a mouse won't even work then it sounds like your USB OTG cable might be dodgy, or not actually a proper OTG / USB host cable. Try another one.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #3,735 of 9,526
  Ok, time for the first public beta of USB Audio Player PRO!

You can download it here:
USBAudioPlayerPROTrial_0.0.4.apk

Notes:

1. This is a BETA, meaning anything can happen. It can crash, burn, rip your ears apart etc.. or it might just work.. 
    biggrin.gif
  2. There are some (serious) limitations in this demo while we think of the best way to handle demo limits:
  * Time limit of 20 minutes
  * Max. around 8 songs (if you exceed it, it will start giving errors like 'Error playing back')
  * Some other secret limits :)
  1. If you have started UAPP without a DAC connected, it might be needed to force stop the app (or restart your device) before it gets recognized again.
  2. Some mono files are not supported (wav's are ok, mp3's are not).

Features compared to USB Audio Recorder PRO:
  1. Functions as 'regular' media player
  2. Play lists
  3. Gapless playback (if sample rate isn't changing between two audio files)
  4. Support for mp3 files
  5. Support for .m4a etc. files depending on your Android device
  6. Background playback (meaning that you can turn off the screen, go to other apps etc.)
  7. Sample rate conversion (if your DAC doesn't support the audio file's sample rate, it will be converted to a higher sample rate if available or the highest if not available)

Please contact me BY EMAIL (info AT audio-evolution.com) if you find problems. This forum is not a bug report forum for this app!

EXCELLENT!

I just tried this on my  stock AT&T GS4 32gb > CEntrance Hifi M8. So far, I'm loving it! It sounds fantastic!

EDIT: I'm unable to buy it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back