Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #3,707 of 9,526
I'm trying to get my Note 3 (currently stock unrooted) to work with my Yulong DA8 (mostly for kicks, but also to take to Hi-Fi shops to listen to things on my own source without lugging a laptop too).

With the "USB Audio Tester" app I can see that the device is reporting some information to the handheld (Yulong deice name, etc shows up), and the phone reacts to the USB cable being plugged and unplugged, though it only says "USB connector connected" and "USB connector disconnected" (it also does this when just the OTG adapter alone is plugged and unplugged, though). No matter what I've tried, the Note will only play audio through its internal speaker. No matter where I look I can't find any options related to USB audio, even in the "Sound" subsection of the settings. I thought Samsung added their own USB audio driver to these since the Note 2 / S3 days? Shouldn't there be some config options exposed somewhere?

Or am I doing something horribly wrong somehow?

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #3,708 of 9,526
Firstly, the USB OTG adapter should be tested by connecting the Galaxy Note 3 to a simple USB peripheral like a USB mouse or a USB keyboard:
Galaxy Note 3 >> USB OTG adapter >> USB mouse

It is possible that the native USB Audio of the Galaxy Note 3 is not compliant with the Yulong DA8 because the developers from Samsung and fom Yulong don’t have the same understanding of some part of the USB specification: at the USB enumeration stage, the Galaxy Note 3’s USB Audio could stop interacting with the Yulong DA8 when this latter responds to a USB request with a controversial value parameter.

How about using another USB Audio stack, a better one, USB Audio Recorder PRO (UARP) available on Google Play store?
There is a free trial version.

One of the advantages of UARP is that its developer can be contacted.
For example, the "controversial" USB descriptors of the USB DAC can be forwarded to him in order to get a workaround fix.
USB descriptors of a USB DAC can be read using the free Microsoft USB View:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/map-and-troubleshoot-your-usb-ports-with-microsoft-usb-view/5982

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #3,709 of 9,526
Amleth, do try Universal Audio Recorder Pro. Let us know how it goes. I'm interested to know if the Yulong can cooperate.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #3,710 of 9,526
Slightly off-topic but relevant and might be of interest to a few people -- with a custom kernel and a bit of Googling I have managed to get my Nexus 5 to mount CIFS shares from my NAS. The upshot of this is the contents appear as a local directory (I created mount-points under /sdcard/cifs/) and are playable / indexable with whatever media player you want to use. 

I know Neutron can access CIFS shares indirectly but in my experience the implementation is a bit flaky, it doesn't update content dynamically and it doesn't handle massive directory lists very well. Now PowerAmp can index my entire collection, pick up changes in real-time, and I set if off on 20,000 tune shuffle and it 'just works' :)

The guide I followed is here: http://www.netzgewitter.com/2013/10/troubleshoot-cifs-on-android/

You need to be rooted for this to work. CIFS support is kernel dependent - some devices may support it natively whereas others will require a custom kernel and/or additional modules. I am using Franco Kernel.

Next up: Nexus 7 (2012)

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #3,711 of 9,526
  Davy,

It will be a great Christmas gift (Well a purchase)

Please take our money
biggrin.gif

Thank you for the great work.

Unfortunately I'm not going to make it before Christmas. Better a good product than a rushed product I'd say. Technically it all works, but there are some graphics issues to take care of.

Merry Christmas everyone and let's hope for an end-or-year release of UAPP then!

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #3,712 of 9,526
  Slightly off-topic but relevant and might be of interest to a few people -- with a custom kernel and a bit of Googling I have managed to get my Nexus 5 to mount CIFS shares from my NAS. The upshot of this is the contents appear as a local directory (I created mount-points under /sdcard/cifs/) and are playable / indexable with whatever media player you want to use. 

I know Neutron can access CIFS shares indirectly but in my experience the implementation is a bit flaky, it doesn't update content dynamically and it doesn't handle massive directory lists very well. Now PowerAmp can index my entire collection, pick up changes in real-time, and I set if off on 20,000 tune shuffle and it 'just works' :)

The guide I followed is here: http://www.netzgewitter.com/2013/10/troubleshoot-cifs-on-android/

You need to be rooted for this to work. CIFS support is kernel dependent - some devices may support it natively whereas others will require a custom kernel and/or additional modules. I am using Franco Kernel.

Next up: Nexus 7 (2012)

But Neutron has a great parametric EQ with an unfortunately rotten User Interface.
I have a Nexus 7 (2013) and even with the latest update to KitKat, no USB Audio Joy, however, the pause, next and previous buttons on my FiiO E18 affects what is played but heard through the Nexus 7 (2013) audio hardware. Two thumbs down to Google for screwing this up. Also the audio hardware on the Nexus 7 (2013) sux.

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #3,713 of 9,526
Will the Microstreamer work on Android phones with no hub? I need a DAC which will work with services like Spotify and not just with Audio Recorder Pro. It's between the Explorer or the Microstreamer now. Does the RSA Intruder work on samsung phones in all applications without Audio Recorder pro? I use spotify alot.

I could just get an iphone 5s as the Microstreamer and the Explorer work with this, in all apps, from what I read here.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #3,714 of 9,526
  Will the Microstreamer work on Android phones with no hub? I need a DAC which will work with services like Spotify and not just with Audio Recorder Pro. It's between the Explorer or the Microstreamer now. Does the RSA Intruder work on samsung phones in all applications without Audio Recorder pro? I use spotify alot.

I could just get an iphone 5s as the Microstreamer and the Explorer work with this, in all apps, from what I read here.

-1 boo on getting the iphone 5s lol.

+1 on dac options that work w/ spotify! :)

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #3,715 of 9,526
Unfortunately I'm not going to make it before Christmas. Better a good product than a rushed product I'd say. Technically it all works, but there are some graphics issues to take care of.

Merry Christmas everyone and let's hope for an end-or-year release of UAPP then!

No worries, it's still closeer then ever :)

Merry Christmas!

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #3,716 of 9,526

You're starting to sound desperate. I know the feeling.

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #3,718 of 9,526
Can UAPP run while streaming music from other apps? Would love to stream spotify through USB on my Nexus 5.

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #3,719 of 9,526
Can UAPP run while streaming music or is it just an audio player app to play downloaded tracks on your device? Would love to stream spotify through USB on my Nexus 5.

I can stream Google Play Music, my ripped music on SSD or the all access subscription to my FiiO E18 USB DAC/Amp from my Galaxy S3 via USB. Sweet it is, they have a very nice catalog and you can cache music to your SSD so not to waste mobile bandwidth when on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back